woodentoe

Shore shot fail. Brick armory fail (no ones fault)

Took a drive from Woodbridge to shore shot. 1.5 hour wait. I decided to give BA a shot. They guys were nice enough but told me they wouldnt rent me a firearm to shoot. It is their policy that they will not rent a firearm tO an individual. If I had come in with my own stuff, that MAY have let me in. However, as a sole person looking to rent... No go.

I had a good chat with Ray there and he was a pretty nice guy. I understand it is their policy. I'm just disappointed that a 2 hour drive and no shooting happened. Sucks.

I get that. But no rule or policy will stop crazy people from doing crazy ****.

Suicide.

Typically people will not come out with their friend to put one into themselves.

Once they know you though, it is not a problem to rent a pistol by self.... but if you are brand new, first time they have seen you..... different story.

Suicide.

Typically people will not come out with their friend to put one into themselves.

Once they know you though, it is not a problem to rent a pistol by self.... but if you are brand new, first time they have seen you..... different story.

Wow lol, that's crazy I see where there coming from, that's crazy

True. Though the guy at BA tolde a father and son came to SS and did basically the same thing. The old man killed himself but the kid chickened out. Then, the woman in Florida who shot her son ad then herself with a rented handgun at the range.

Crazy people do crazy things. I would have pulled out photos of my kids and a pay stub to say , "hey. I've got lots to live for"

What I do know is that this experience has helPed me figure out what I'm going to do range wise going forward.

Suicide.

No NJFID required at SS to rent. Waiver yes. They asked me over the phone if I've had any training but when I went, no quesions asked.

Btw, posession of NJFID says nothing about one's potential intent to cause harm to self or others. It iis a risk when doing business with firearms. I get why they're doing it. I'm just gutted that I invested hoes into driving just to get shut out. Good on SS for being busy and good on BA for nit missin my business today. They handled me ok. I would go back. Just frowning is all.

They have had that policy for a few years now.

A few folks would come in, rent a gun, and decide to leave the mess to someone else.

Not sure I follow this??

Edit: I should have read the entire thread before posting. Didn't even think of that.

I haven't been to a public range in so long I've forgotten what it's like. Probably longer than some of you have been near firearms.

Not really crazy about the thought of standing next to someone with no FID & NO experience. And a rented gun that they've never shot before. I can see muzzle sweeps in my nightmares tonight!

No wonder I continuously read about range RO's getting in people's faces and getting bad reps. No mandatory training or proof of competency to rent a gun? Seems to me like the ranges ought to get together on this and require some sort of class (and proof of passing) prior to renting a gun without a FID. Possibly a NRA First Steps or something similar, as an example. Then they could issue a card or something saying that you've "been trained" that would be transferable to every facility in the State. So guys like our OP wouldn't be turned-away after a 2 hour ride to get there! A real no-brainer to me.

For the price of a cup of coffee a day this situation all goes away......

Took a drive from Woodbridge to shore shot. 1.5 hour wait. I decided to give BA a shot. They guys were nice enough but told me they wouldnt rent me a firearm to shoot. It is their policy that they will not rent a firearm tO an individual. If I had come in with my own stuff, that MAY have let me in. However, as a sole person looking to rent... No go.

I had a good chat with Ray there and he was a pretty nice guy. I understand it is their policy. I'm just disappointed that a 2 hour drive and no shooting happened. Sucks.

I went to my local range, Ready AIm Fire in Bristol, PA. Very long wait. I left. Guess lots of folks decided to go shooting today.

I had my NRA basic pistol card in my wallet and my certificate from ShootNJ in the car. Irrelevant. They didnt even ask for it. Like I said, safety trained, NJFID or not. Someone willing to do harm will do so. This is what the policy is in place for. Not lack of experience. I wouldn't cal myself highly trained or super experienced. But, I can tell you that i take range safety and etiquette very very seriously. I wish I had the opportunity to shoot today even though I don't yet own a firearm(8 weeks waiting in Woodbridge for NJFID and ppp)

Personally, the policy notwithstanding, I'm not clear on wh BA has gotten such a bad rap on the forum. They have their rigidity, but on first meeting my experience at SS was equally as gruff. And to hear the BA guys talk, it comes from a desire to be very focused on safety. Even got the extend of touting how hands on their ROs are. The flies in the face somewhat of the way theyre depicted on the forum. What gives?

I haven't been to a public range in so long I've forgotten what it's like. Probably longer than some of you have been near firearms.

Not really crazy about the thought of standing next to someone with no FID & NO experience. And a rented gun that they've never shot before. I can see muzzle sweeps in my nightmares tonight!

No wonder I continuously read about range RO's getting in people's faces and getting bad reps. No mandatory training or proof of competency to rent a gun? Seems to me like the ranges ought to get together on this and require some sort of class (and proof of passing) prior to renting a gun without a FID. Possibly a NRA First Steps or something similar, as an example. Then they could issue a card or something saying that you've "been trained" that would be transferable to every facility in the State. So guys like our OP wouldn't be turned-away after a 2 hour ride to get there! A real no-brainer to me.

For the price of a cup of coffee a day this situation all goes away......

I had my NRA basic pistol card in my wallet and my certificate from ShootNJ in the car. Irrelevant. They didnt even ask for it. Like I said, safety trained, NJFID or not. Someone willing to do harm will do so. This is what the policy is in place for. Not lack of experience. I wouldn't cal myself highly trained or super experienced. But, I can tell you that i take range safety and etiquette very very seriously. I wish I had the opportunity to shoot today even though I don't yet own a firearm(8 weeks waiting in Woodbridge for NJFID and ppp)

Personally, the policy notwithstanding, I'm not clear on wh BA has gotten such a bad rap on the forum. They have their rigidity, but on first meeting my experience at SS was equally as gruff. And to hear the BA guys talk, it comes from a desire to be very focused on safety. Even got the extend of touting how hands on their ROs are. The flies in the face somewhat of the way theyre depicted on the forum. What gives?

I can't speak as to why someone or some place got a bad rep. Cause I simply don't know since I have no first-hand knowledge.

As to the no rentie by yourself policy, you'd think that they'd mention that over the phone before you got in the darn car??

Businesses have the right to operate their business the way they want to. It would be nice however if a little dose of common sense (as I suggested in my previous post) were to take hold. Someone who passed a First Steps from a bona fide teaching school and drives to the range with certificate in hand isn't going to a public range to "off" themselves IMHO. Turning customers away is bad business, plain & simple.

Well in fairness, I drove down with the intention of going to shore shot. The wait was impossible there. So rather than just drive home, I called BA to see what their wait was. It was manageable so I drove over there. It wasn't until I got there did the discussion of renting solo come up. So, I didn't exactly conduct any due diligence, an can't hold that against them.

They are entitled to run their business however thy see fit, and it would be foolish of me to expect that after five minutes of chatting they would bend their policy for me. Their reputation and liabilities hang in the balance.

. I am sure if somebody was dead set on killing themselves, they would be able to con their way into getting on the range. Good for BA for having this rule. Honestly, there are a lot of ranges that have this policy. As you go around, you will see. This has happened to me at ranges in PA.

Also, peoples opinion of BA is as a direct result of their business practices. I have witnessed the lack of RO's at BA and many have stopped going there as a result.

dont need fID to rent.

My friend and I were talking about this yesterday, he's moving soon so he never got an FID and came gun shopping. Why can you rent a gun without an FID, but if you want to see a gun at a shop you need to show your FID? Anyone have any clue on this?

My friend and I were talking about this yesterday, he's moving soon so he never got an FID and came gun shopping. Why can you rent a gun without an FID, but if you want to see a gun at a shop you need to show your FID? Anyone have any clue on this?

Most gun shops will let you see guns at the store. But, not all. Call first.

That's just it...you don't. The best explication I've heard and subscribe to is that respective salesmen will not show you a firearm unless they know you have a FID because it displays an ability to purchase even if a PPP is not apparent. Saves them potential time and effort showing firearms to people who do not have the ability to buy.

That's just it...you don't. The best explication I've heard and subscribe to is that respective salesmen will not show you a firearm unless they know you have a FID because it displays an ability to purchase even if a PPP is not apparent. Save them potential time and effort showing firearms to people who does not have the ability to buy.

Some stores say NJ law prohibits showing guns to people without an FID. I don't shop at those stores.

Some stores say NJ law prohibits showing guns to people without an FID. I don't shop at those stores.

I would very much like to see that statute.

@ Duppie

I moved to NJ from NY, and three of the five gun stores I visited wouldn't let me touch a gun. Of the remaining two, in one I didn't ask to handle anything, but in the other, they let me fondle and dry fire whichever pistol I asked about. When my FID/P2Ps come in this week, guess where I'll be picking up my first pistol? :D

I understand that it may be a store's policy due to safety/liability, but the "no FID, you're not worth my time" attitude does not make for return customers once said customers actually are capable of purchasing. I really don't know what some salesmen are thinking when they are dismissive or outright rude to new, potential customers.

@ Duppie

I moved to NJ from NY, and three of the five gun stores I visited wouldn't let me touch a gun. Of the remaining two, in one I didn't ask to handle anything, but in the other, they let me fondle and dry fire whichever pistol I asked about. When my FID/P2Ps come in this week, guess where I'll be picking up my first pistol? :D

I understand that it may be a store's policy due to safety/liability, but the "no FID, you're not worth my time" attitude does not make for return customers once said customers actually are capable of purchasing. I really don't know what some salesmen are thinking when they are dismissive or outright rude to new, potential customers.

Rest assured,you'll get no argument from me as I experienced the same policy and dismissive attitude just over a year ago when I attempted to shop for my first firearm.That topic has also been discussed extensively on this forum,the general consensus was that ,as is the case with many laws pertaining to firearms in NJ,most are confusing and convoluted, some are misinterpreted,some are unnecessary,and some only exist in the minds of the lazy and ignorant.

There have also been much discussion about patronizing what few firearms related stores there are in NJ lest we lose them to the larger internet retailers and the pros and cons of their customer service. In summery, I agree with you and if you stick around you'll find that most,at least on this forum do too.

I have been to BA three times, had an RO out there with us once, and I think it was because there were a lot of people coming in and out that day. The other two times my buddy and I were the only two on the range for a few hours and the people at BA know him very well, guess he was my RO.

You know, the longer I'm on this board and the more threads like this I see makes me thank god more and more every day for having enough private property and a cool enough local law enforcement to set up my own range.

Completely agree, I can understand not letting you hold if you don't have an FID but just being rude and not talking to you is rediculious. I even had a place (mikes gun shop) refuse to let me even see what handguns he had for sale without* a valid PPP in hand right then and there...

You know, the longer I'm on this board and the more threads like this I see makes me thank god more and more every day for having enough private property and a cool enough local law enforcement to set up my own range.

Completely agree, I can understand not letting you hold if you don't have an FID but just being rude and not talking to you is rediculious. I even had a place (mikes gun shop) refuse to let me even see what handguns he had for sale with a valid PPP in hand right then and there...

Apparently Mike's made enough profit for that day.......