LastShot

Cherry Ridge

I don't believe you'll find anyone who has shot at CJRPC or RTSP who will agree with you that they are stricter ranges than Cherry Ridge. There is a gulf of a difference between safety and aggressive rule enforcement for its own sake. You yourself just mentioned casing firearms. Why is that safe? It isn't. I could put a loaded gun, with a hang fire round in it in a case, close it and turn it sideways to the line. A .50SW could probably get 5 or 6 people before it's done once it blew out the side of the case. I do not accept unsafe handling of firearms for myself or anyone around me so please don't think I'm trying to compromise safety. There is however a limit to the amount of safe handling necessary. A revolver with a range flag through the cylinder IS SAFE but I'll leave it at that. You're just trying to enforce the rules, such as they are, an unenviable role. Do you not see the frustration however?
I do agree on one point, cylinder flagging,bore flagging serve the same purpose provided the cylinder is empty and open,I have personally Stated and demonstrated what is the "preferred" method on the pistol range. in a calm manner I'm not the type to yell at people,there is no reason for that. as far as your loaded and cased pistol not facing down range, a)all firearms ,Muzzles must be kept down range AT ALL TIMES,loaded or unloaded, b)all firearms are to be treated as if they are loaded at all times. c)firearms are to be unloaded till ready to use

For anybody that complains about range rules...try this...let everyone shoot as they want...let's count on their "experience","discipline" and professionalism to keep everyone safe..let me know how that works out...then when people start getting hurt and insurance companies refuse to insure ranges and we have none left to shoot at in an already small number of places , then we can talk about how we don't want to follow simple range rules.

Big plus 1

SIMPLE RULES

Not impossible rules.

I would like to thank you for 20 plus years of support of cherry ridge range (yes Empty chamber indicators have been required that long,IE:"yellow flag") The Point safety IS paramount,As A life/long term member you should lead by example.

Was the RO abrasive in any way? No, the RO was polite about it, but when I explained that the revolver cannot be fired when a chamber flag is in the cylinder (and therefore safe), the response I got was "this is how they want it done".

or was the RO simply explaining the preferred method?

The rules do evolve It maybe tasking to some, but they are very simple rules to shoot under.

I am trying to understand what the concern is. The issue is, when what I did is completely safe, and there is no benefit what so ever to doing it the way "they" wanted, why even bring it up? Telling me do it differently only for the sake of the rules is nitpicking, and demeaning. In effect, you're saying I don't know how to properly handle a firearm, this turns people off when they know what you're telling them is nonsense. I understand there are a lot people there who do unsafe things, I've seen plenty of that myself, and those people do need to be corrected, but common sense should prevail.

Other ranges have much tighter rules,other ranges have looser rules.

5 years ago you would be tossed for the day if you did not have a flag installed.

I am sorry if you felt singled out but believe me the rules apply to all be it Noob or life member.

The rules, the attitude, the mentality, the constantly closed ranges, the two voting ballots I received because "the membership rolls have been corrected", a bunch of money spent on an access gate and key fobs not distributed "yet", pistol range expansion that was proposed and then stalled, turning targets that were supposed to be installed, vending machine removed without any explanation, etc.

Just a few reasons why I have not renewed my membership.

It's ok - pretty soon you will have the most safe range in the world, when NO ONE is there.

The rules, the attitude, the mentality, the constantly closed ranges, the two voting ballots I received because "the membership rolls have been corrected", a bunch of money spent on an access gate and key fobs not distributed "yet", pistol range expansion that was proposed and then stalled, turning targets that were supposed to be installed, vending machine removed without any explanation, etc.

Just a few reasons why I have not renewed my membership.

It's ok - pretty soon you will have the most safe range in the world, when NO ONE is there.

Were you the person who canceled your membership over 3 years ago?

This just sounds like "sour grapes" or a personal vendetta to me

I'm sorry Cherry Ridge is not the range for you.

Nothing can be perfect, if the range is not up to your standard

I applaud your Choice not to renew.

The issue is, when what I did is completely safe, and there is no benefit what so ever to doing it the way "they" wanted, why even bring it up? Telling me do it differently only for the sake of the rules is nitpicking, and demeaning. In effect, you're saying I don't know how to properly handle a firearm, this turns people off when they know what you're telling them is nonsense. I understand there are a lot people there who do unsafe things, I've seen plenty of that myself, and those people do need to be corrected, but common sense should prevail.

I am sorry if you felt demeaned in any way,I am sure this was not the RO's intent,From an RO's point of view after seeing what has gone wrong and what could go wrong,we try to standardize the simple things to prevent the big things.

the benefit of having a firearm flagged in the bore is it is highly visible from across the range and will not blow out or fall out or over.

even if someone fails to unload the ammo feed.the action will not close

Were you the person who canceled your membership over 3 years ago?

This just sounds like "sour grapes" or a personal vendetta to me

I'm sorry Cherry Ridge is not the range for you.

Nothing can be perfect, if the range is not up to your standard

I applaud your Choice not to renew.

No, not 3 years ago, 24 days ago...

Hey LastShot, I didn't really mean to complain in my post last week (well, maybe just a little). I was mostly poking fun at myself, although I still don't understand the purpose of a chamber flag when the range is hot. Malsua, thanks for your supportive comments.

Truth be told, I love shooting at Cherry Ridge. The setting is beautiful, and the people there are nice, including the RO's. In the incidents I described, the RO's were pleasant and courteous. I wish we could do things like shoot steel and draw from a holster, but all things considered, I plan to remain a member there for a long time.

No, not 3 years ago, 24 days ago...

I sorry, You felt that the range was too Restrictive.

It has work for over 76 years without a major mishap.

If you chose to rejoin, please keep in mind if your lapse is over 2 years you will be required to take the safety briefing prior to being issued a new range use badge.

I personally wish you happiness where ever your journey in life may take you.

Hey LastShot, I didn't really mean to complain in my post last week (well, maybe just a little). I was mostly poking fun at myself, although I still don't understand the purpose of a chamber flag when the range is hot. Malsua, thanks for your supportive comments.

Truth be told, I love shooting at Cherry Ridge. The setting is beautiful, and the people there are nice, including the RO's. In the incidents I described, the RO's were pleasant and courteous. I wish we could do things like shoot steel and draw from a holster, but all things considered, I plan to remain a member there for a long time.

I thank you for the kind works,

holster work and steel I do not think you'll see it with the current

makeup of shooters

Is there Hope for Change..........Maybe

An event maybe able to be setup if there was enough interest,of course a range would need to be shut down to accommodate it.

*please note these are me views and may not reflect those of anjrpc in part or whole*

please send your suggestions in with your ballot, They do get read.

Nick,

Other ranges with thousands of members offer holster draw and other accommodations, such as steel, but they do so with a special class & permit sort of system, ala CJR&PC in Jackson. I have friends that are members there so I don't know the exact particulars, but I do know you go through some sort of additional training and possibly some sort of practical "exam".

I can state from experience as a former board member of a very active club, when you make a rule it has to be presented so that there can be NO ambiguity whatsoever. And it has to be written to the lowest common denominator (in the case of a range, that would be to a brand new shooter).

We enjoy all sorts of action shooting at Old Bridge: IDPA (until recently), USPSA, Knockdown Steel, Static Steel, etc. And we have it in place with our membership requirements that Newbies must visit (5) League Matches and shoot at least (3) of those (5), so that club officers (League Chairmen & Staff) can see some gun handling in an attempt to nip bad habits in the bud! Even with this rule in place, we get the ocaisional schmuck that brings-in an old wheel rim or a 19" tube TV to blow-up!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the bigger a range gets, the more A-Holes they seem to attract. People that only heard of the place over the internet or a forum, and don't have any "blood" that's also a member. Nobody to get embarrassed by their actions. In other words, some people with nothing to lose but their membership, IF they're caught doing something stupid.

Perhaps offering a Steel Match in a League-Only format, set-up by people who KNOW Steel would be a good first step. What NOBODY needs at CR is to drive up to a range and get a ricochet through their windshield due to some NOOB shooting at a steel plate that's puckered, bent the wrong way, angled the wrong way, or just too damn close to the firing line. And IMHO, that's why you don't do any NOW....

If you folks ever get the go-ahead, I'd be happy to discuss what's needed.

Dave

BTW any chance of putting up some steel on the 'farm'...............

:B:):

I ran our annual Pistol Shoot just last Sunday. 10 shots on paper, and 10 shots on Steel/Gongs. A 20 shot COF. I came in second over-all to a guy with a Merit peep sight attached to his eyeglasses, and he was shooting a custom-designed percussion target pistol with ulta-adjustable sights. He got a 196 x 200 with the custom job and I managed a 185 x 200 with my out-of-the-box reproduction Uberti Colt Walker, lol!

We shoot novelty stuff, gongs & such all of the time up at the Farm. Generally the last Sunday of every month, except December, since it's Christmas time. Come on out, pay the $10.00 walk-on fee and have a blast in the past! All of the Bangin' & Clangin" you can handle!

please send your suggestions in with your ballot, They do get read.

Hey, I hadn't thought of doing that. Thanks for the idea.

I was actually already thinking about how to go about offering some feedback on the clubs rules. In particular, a number of rules I've been advised of that aren't spelled out in the written club rules. When paired with inconsistency on how actively different ROs enforce some of these unwritten rules, I've ended up in scenarios where members that shoot during different times of the week don't seem to have experienced the same rules I have, and we're not sure which RO interpretation is correct [assuming a single official answer actually exists]. Examples of things I've been corrected on that others have told me they do frequently without reprimand:

• No magazine pouches
  • Targets depicting a masked assailant violate the "identifiable person" rule
  • The single point-of-aim rule on the 200/300 is also a no silhouette rule and would extend to a target where a single point of aim is imposed over a depiction of a groundhog/fox/bird/etc.
  • That the reckless rapid fire rule also prohibits anything more than a double tap, regardless of whether or not the additional shots are controlled & accurate.

• No magazine pouches this is not clearly written in the rules,but we have been advised " work off the bench only"

the following are clearly written in the rules...

• Targets depicting a masked assailant violate the "identifiable person" rule no we have received clarification and in this case it does not apply to the pistol,100, 22cal. m/p range ,Targets representing ANY identifiable person are strictly forbidden. the key word is "identifiable" (known persons, famous or otherwise)
  • The single point-of-aim rule on the 200/300 is also a no silhouette rule and would extend to a target where a single point of aim is imposed over a depiction of a groundhog/fox/bird/etc. correct, only one single centered aim point may be posted.
  • That the reckless rapid fire rule also prohibits anything more than a double tap, regardless of whether or not the additional shots are controlled & accurate. currently rapid fire, is governed by the judgement of the range officer on duty at the time ...... THERE IS NO RECKLESS RAPID FIRE ALLOWED ...(double taps are controlled fire,because it demonstrates trigger control)

currently rapid fire, is governed by the judgement of the range officer on duty at the time

Right - O!

I've had to do function checks that required rapid fire. I would notify / ask the RO and they never had a problem.

Granted it wasn't crazy busy at the time.

The big problem I have with CR is not being able to smoke at the firing line. It's not safe having someone shoot a cigarette out of your mouth unless you are shooting down range.

Luv ya Craig...

This range is the boringEST range in New Jersey. The only good thing about it is the clay pigeon range.

And the 200/300 yd range. And the plinking range. And the archery range.

Oh I forgot one thing...The flushing crapper in the club house. Got that at your range Ray?

And the 200/300 yd range. And the plinking range. And the archery range.

Oh I forgot one thing...The flushing crapper in the club house. Got that at your range Ray?

Got the crapper, and the other stuff I do in Pennsy where I don't get yelled at by some grumpy old dude named Frank because there isn't a stupid plastic flag in my firearm or I'm standing over the line.

Got the crapper, and the other stuff I do in Pennsy where I don't get yelled at by some grumpy old dude named Frank Oh Frank the lying vulture...LOL because there isn't a stupid plastic flag in my firearm or I'm standing over the line.

Just trying to keep that little girls daddy alive Bubba.Not everybody is as safe as you may be

For those who would like to Know,we are loosing daylight, the rollback in time will happen around Labor day, last shot fired will be 7:00 pm last entrance to range will be 6:30 pm

2-Sep-12 CH Membership -doors close at 9:30 9:30 to 11:00 [email protected] (973) 764-4100

Please arrive early as space is limited 9:00 at the latest is suggested for the safety briefing

2-Sep-12 200/300 Long Range Small Bore (22 LR only)

8-Sep-12 All ranges closed Family Day [email protected]

9-Sep-12 200/300 50 Shot National Match League 7:30 to 4:00

11-Sep-12 PR Police 8:30 to 12:30

15-Sep-12 200/300 Tactical Match 8:30 to 1:00

15-Sep-12 100 Benchrest Match 9:00 to 1:00

16-Sep-12 CH Hunter Safety 8:30 to 1:30 http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/

16-Sep-12 200 MCL 4 Position Match 9:00 to 2:00

16-Sep-12 100 Savage Event-4 ports 9:00 to 3:00 See news and briefs

18-Sep-12 CH/100 Police -4 to 6 ports only 8:30

18-Sep-12 PR Police 8:30 to 12:30

20-Sep-12 PR Police 8:30 to 12:30

22-Sep-12 PR Outdoor State Championship 8:00 to 5:00

23-Sep-12 PR Outdoor State Championship 8:00 to 5:00

29-Sep-12 All ranges closed Work Weekend

30-Sep-12 All ranges closed Work Weekend

Please contact the event organizers for more details see www.anjrpc.org for names and numbers under the range schedule heading

The single point-of-aim rule on the 200/300 is also a no silhouette rule and would extend to a target where a single point of aim is imposed over a depiction of a groundhog/fox/bird/etc. correct, only one single centered aim point may be posted.

So if the rule is only that there has to be a single point of aim, a target like this should be fine, right? http://www.reloadben...les/varmint.pdf. I've been told otherwise at times.

That the reckless rapid fire rule also prohibits anything more than a double tap, regardless of whether or not the additional shots are controlled & accurate. currently rapid fire, is governed by the judgement of the range officer on duty at the time ...... THERE IS NO RECKLESS RAPID FIRE ALLOWED ...(double taps are controlled fire,because it demonstrates trigger control)

I know that at my own sign-up rules meeting, as well as my buddies, it was said that it is reckless rapid fire if you're shooting fast and not hitting what you're shooting at. Since the actual working interpretation of the rule seems to be that nothing longer than a double tap can be considered controlled fire no matter how accurate, I can certainly abide by that. Just another one of those scenarios where the combination of no clarification in writing, a bit of misinformation when people sign up, and varying levels of enforcement by ROs can make the rules seem like something of a moving target. In fairness, I've never found the approach ROs take with correction to be rude or unpleasant in tone.

So if the rule is only that there has to be a single point of aim, a target like this should be fine, right? http://www.reloadben...les/varmint.pdf. I've been told otherwise at times.

[/size][/font][/color]

the badgers head is also considered an aim point.,

Please bare with me on this....

The intent is to make shore the backers last as long as possible. if multi aim points were permitted,the backers would be completely blown out and you would not have a place to secure your target.

I know that at my own sign-up rules meeting, as well as my buddies, it was said that it is reckless rapid fire if you're shooting fast and not hitting what you're shooting at. Since the actual working interpretation of the rule seems to be that nothing longer than a double tap can be considered controlled fire no matter how accurate, I can certainly abide by that. Just another one of those scenarios where the combination of no clarification in writing, a bit of misinformation when people sign up, and varying levels of enforcement by ROs can make the rules seem like something of a moving target. In fairness, I've never found the approach ROs take with correction to be rude or unpleasant in tone.

I do understand your frustration,in what is being told and how it is enforced, We are currently working on uniformity and clarification on the rules and briefing

As a NRA certified RSO we are to refer to SOP,in the event there is no SOP for a specific incident we are to use our best judgement.

that being said I hope you can understand the difference in RO styles.

Thank you for continuing to take the time to respond, as you would be well within your rights to tell me I can take my gripes and go pound sand.

The intent is to make shore the backers last as long as possible. if multi aim points were permitted,the backers would be completely blown out and you would not have a place to secure your target.

I can't tell you how refreshing it is to hear an understandable, logical & practical explination for the rule's existance.

At my rules meeting, it was said that the intent was to make sure people aren't shooting at targets high up on the backer and shooting over the mountain when they miss...

When I was later advised that a sillouette target was not allowed on the 200-300, the explination didn't even tie it back to the 1 central aiming point rule and I was instead told that anti-gun groups might be hiding in the woods to take pictures that will make gun owners look bad... :huh::facepalm:

Thank you for continuing to take the time to respond, as you would be well within your rights to tell me I can take my gripes and go pound sand.

I am sorry if I ever gave anyone that impression,when I had joined njgf, this forum was a CR bash fest.I am making an attempt to clarify things the best possible way

with out being on the defencive.

I can't tell you how refreshing it is to hear an understandable, logical & practical explanation for the rule's existence. Thank you,for allowing me to respond.

At my rules meeting, it was said that the intent was to make sure people aren't shooting at targets high up on the backer and shooting over the mountain when they miss...

This applies to your target frames(used on 100yrd pistol and M/P range),and target placement Basically be aware of berm impact,in other words Line of sight fire. (the biggest concern is on the pistol and M/P range) an example would be if the target frame is 15feet

from your bench in a standing position a target placed

lower than line of sight would impact the 25 yard set point witch is not designed for impact(destroying the range,possible ricochet etc.) on the flip side a target placed high ,during bench rest would result in missing the berms completely striking rocks and coming back to the line.

When I was later advised that a silhouette target was not allowed on the 200-300, the explanation didn't even tie it back to the 1 central aiming point rule and I was instead told that anti-gun groups might be hiding in the woods to take pictures that will make gun owners look bad... :huh::facepalm:

silhouettes,Zombie,(your badger) paper images are allowed on all, but Highpower for the stated "Single Centered Aimpoint Only"rule