LastShot

Cherry Ridge

Just came back from CR this evening and there was a new and unfortunate addition to the ranges:

CRBrassCans.jpg

For any fellow brass scroungers, it looks like the days of sorting through trash cans for discarded brass are over. I wonder what they do with the brass they collect? Let "friends of the range" cherry pick, then sell the rest as once fired brass or as scrap metal? You'd think that between raising membership fees and the events they seem to run every weekend, they'd have enough additional revenue to forgo such a policy...

Just came back from CR this evening and there was a new and unfortunate addition to the ranges:

CRBrassCans.jpg

For any fellow brass scroungers, it looks like the days of sorting through trash cans for discarded brass are over. I wonder what they do with the brass they collect? Let "friends of the range" cherry pick, then sell the rest as once fired brass or as scrap metal? You'd think that between raising membership fees and the events they seem to run every weekend, they'd have enough additional revenue to forgo such a policy...

Well doesn't that just suck! That's crazy. Collecting brass at CR has allowed me to shoot as much as I do but with this I guess I won't be able to. This is very disappointing

there are a bunch of old timer busybodies and its too crowded.

I don't know when you go, but I rarely see more than 1 out of every 3 or 4 benches full, and often the place is empty. No one has ever gotten in my business at all, ever. I might ask someone about a rifle, or they might ask me what some unusual rifle is, but that's it for the talking.

I don't go Saturday or Sunday mornings, but the place is nearly empty all the time to me. 8 months out of the year I'm often the only person in the entire rifle, pistol or 200/300 range. Even beautiful Saturday afternoons after 3pm there might be 6 people in 40 lanes...

Cameras and gates and locked brass - oh my! In reality I dont really care. Cameras, got nothing to hide. Gate? keep out the freeloaders(if any?) And the LOCKED brass,I save mine& I'm SURE its going to go to a WORTHY cause like Wounded Warriors etc, cant POSSIBLY be to line the pockets of CR or even a enterprising RO could it? I still love shooting there its got all I need, even the occasional busybody, dont mind a little chat every now & then. Weekdays only and no regrets.BTW- we'll prob(?) see a little footnote sooner or later in the newsletter about the brass brl.

CRBrassCans.jpg

There's a guy that I see picking up the cans and collecting the brass and empty the garbage early in the morning. The same person has been doing it for awhile. I don't know if he was keeping it or turning over to CR. Brass pickings are starting to slim down with a lot of people keeping their brass. I used to see him as a range officer in Bullet hole.

I pick up my own brass and don't reload enough to warrant dumpster diving, but I know that there are plenty who do. I also find it a big F U to the 'customers' when a range does these kinds of things. Even more-so when they say you can't pick up your own because it touched their floor and is therefore now their property.

If they're going to use the brass to raise money for range improvements, or anything that goes directly back to the members, or even a good charity as siderman suggested, then I don't really have a problem with this. But if it's going to benefit just the RO's or 'friends' of, then I have a problem with it. Best thing to do then would be, if you're just going to throw it away, take a quick look on the line and see if anyone is collecting it and give it to them. I may just have to start picking up everything I see and giving away what I don't need.

I have been a member of other ranges in the area That have a brass drum but its left open so members can pick from it. Shot there today and there was still lots of brass sitting in the garbage can and all over the range. Also nothing was mentioned about it in the news letter that arrived today....sketchy

I have been a member of other ranges in the area That have a brass drum but its left open so members can pick from it. Shot there today and there was still lots of brass sitting in the garbage can and all over the range. Also nothing was mentioned about it in the news letter that arrived today....sketchy

Maybe they'll just bring it up on their website............ Oh yeah, I forgot, that'll never happen. ;)

of 13 different types of brass i reload i have 1000's of each and have not ever bought any.only picked from ground/barrells.saved lots by reloading from those that dont.this is typical of the cr range now,if u dont like it go elsewhere mentallity.cant wait till moving to az and memories of the only place in towns rules. etc...

I see you Guy's are on a b!tch fest again, like Frank said ask someone who is not reloading if you can have there brass.

The cans are there for all spent cartrages (steel ,aluminum ,brass) they were labeled "brass only" in the generic term Brass

As in Police your Brass.

The containers will be sold for scrap and the money's will be utilized for the club,

up until now all the cases got tossed in the dumpster as trash , instead of getting recycled for scrap

as of now there is no "hits the ground policy" there has been but not enforced a "in the trash policy"

All litter should be removed from range property by member users. Spent shells must be picked up. Take out what you bring in.

this means if you do not take it out it becomes range property since you abandon it in the garbage making the range responsible

for its disposal .

Perhaps you should have shirts Printed that say "Hi I'm a brass whore ,and I lust after your brass."

I have a better idea. They can take the lock off and put a sign on it "FREE BRASS FOR THE RELOADERS." Then it makes it easier for us to get to it. Do they really need the money? Wasn't my 35% increase renewal fee enough? That would be a nice thing to do for range members!

I don't need "Brass Whore" shirt. I let them know when I pick it off the ground for them.

I always hear the same excuse about cherry ridge, "I don't go on Saturday or Sunday." That's not the point! If i get a new gun or just have the urge i want to know that I can just go there fire some rounds and not have everyone breathing over my shoulders or waiting for a bench or D!ckH3ad rangers. I left cherry ridge 3 years ago and don't regret it one bit! The range i go to now, I'm lucky if there's 3 people in the hole place. Plus it cost about 1/10 of what cherry ridge charges. Due your homework boys, there's life after cherry ridge.

LastShot - I'm with you on this one. I don't know if I like the brass bucket policy but I can tell you one thing this IS a forum of whiners.

If you don't like the policy start a letter writing campaign. Nobody knows you're pissed at the level that made this decision.

We as a forum must concentrate on what is really important!

LastShot - I'm with you on this one. I don't know if I like the brass bucket policy but I can tell you one thing this IS a forum of whiners.

If you don't like the policy start a letter writing campaign. Nobody knows you're pissed at the level that made this decision.

We as a forum must concentrate on what is really important!

Frank - what good would a letter do? If it's not chiseled in bedrock and delivered by Fred Flintstone's postman they won't even read it.

Hence the need for a lock I guess.............There have been prior insidents where people have dumped the trash cans for the brass and left the trash on the ground

It's kinda sad...I would dive for brass.... sorry can't help ya there

BTW I have not been to CR for a month......is the gate active...? if so have we received Proximity cards as yet..I haven't............

no not yet.

​just a guess, probably start distribution of fobs starting with January renewals

Hence the need for a lock I guess.............. It's kinda sad...I would dive for brass.... BTW I have not been to CR for a month......is the gate active...? if so have we received Proximity cards as yet..I haven't............

Hence the need for a lock I guess.............There have been prior insidents where people have dumped the trash cans for the brass and left the trash on the ground

I think the addition of separate containers for brass by itself would solve the problem of reloaders dumping garbage and leaving it on the ground to get to said brass, no? Personally I've never seen this, since I'd think most people who reload would have more respect for the range than to do that. As you said, there are also cameras and ROs, so why haven't these people had firm talking to's by ROs?

When I scrounged for brass, I brought another trash can over and emptied the trash into that one. Incidentally, I did get scolded once by one of the range board members (the rotund, short, and bearded old fellow who is the NRA recruiter, can't recall his name) who implied that I did not deserve the brass I was picking up, saying that only people who volunteered on the work weekends "have a right" to that brass, so I doubt that it has just been tossed out with the trash and not picked over by anyone.

Here's an idea - use 10 gallon buckets with small holes in the lids, instead of locked 42 gallon oil drums. Reloaders can still get the brass that they want, people will be as unlikely to dump trash in them (assuming they are right next to trashcans anyway), and they will be easier to empty. I can't imagine wanting to empty those huge drums at the end of every day, for what would be at most 1/10th of their volume in brass!

I think the addition of separate containers for brass by itself would solve the problem of reloaders dumping garbage and leaving it on the ground to get to said brass, no? Personally I've never seen this, since I'd think most people who reload would have more respect for the range than to do that. As you said, there are also cameras and ROs, so why haven't these people had firm talking to's by ROs?

When I scrounged for brass, I brought another trash can over and emptied the trash into that one. Incidentally, I did get scolded once by one of the range board members (the rotund, short, and bearded old fellow who is the NRA recruiter, can't recall his name) who implied that I did not deserve the brass I was picking up, saying that only people who volunteered on the work weekends "have a right" to that brass, so I doubt that it has just been tossed out with the trash and not picked over by anyone.

Here's an idea - use 10 gallon buckets with small holes in the lids, instead of locked 42 gallon oil drums. Reloaders can still get the brass that they want, people will be as unlikely to dump trash in them (assuming they are right next to trashcans anyway), and they will be easier to empty. I can't imagine wanting to empty those huge drums at the end of every day, for what would be at most 1/10th of their volume in brass!

Do not take this the wrong way.

The Drums are there,they are not leaving,If you have concerns of the use of the drums or anything else for that matter.please direct them to the board,you will find contact info on the website I can guarantee you will receive a reply you may not like the reply but you will receive one.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I do shoot at CR twice a year, and donate time to Scoutfest/Youthfest Day every May.

I can't remember ever being there (Pistol Range) when the cement was swept clean. ANYTHING done to try and solve this "condition" is a good idea. Just because the buckets are there doesn't mean that shooters will use them. IMHO (and I belong to several Clubs) Brass will always be available to POLITE Scroungers. As far as members here admitting that they dump-out garbage cans to get at said Brass, that just "takes the cake", for I'd be willing to bet real money that on more than one occasion some Brass Whore left a pile of garbage alongside the empty waste can. I SAW some of that with my own two eyes! So the Board that runs the Range was forced to do SOMETHING to correct a safety condition. My hat is off to them, and I hope this helps! Like I said, IF you're POLITE, you get more than your share anyway....

Just my 2 cents' worth......

As of posting date Range is open 8:30 am to 7:30 pm Last target change 7:00 pm (last entry to range) Please call the hotline for the most updated info on range closings and event cancellations (973)764-1333 Please contact event coordinators for more information on scheduled events ,members are encouraged to participate in scheduled events, names and numbers are published in news and briefs , to see schedule http://www.anjrpc.org/?Range_schedule

1-Jul-12 CH Membership -doors close at 9:30 Recommend arriving 9:00 am at the latest do to space limitations you may be turned away at the gate if the clubhouse fills up.

[email protected] (973) 764-4100

1-Jul-12 200/300 30 Caliber SemiAutomatic Rifle Infantry Trophy 8:00 to 12:00

3-Jul-12 CH/100 Police -4 to 6 ports only 8:30 to noon

8-Jul-12 PR/100/SG/Sil Fairlawn Club Picnic 9:00 to 3:30

8-Jul-12 200/300 50 Shot National Match League 7:30 to 4:00

14-Jul-12 200/300 Tactical Match 8:30 to 1:00

15-Jul-12 200/300 80 Shot High Power Rifle Match 7:30 to 4:00

16-Jul-12 PR Police 8:30 to 2:30

21-Jul-12 100 Benchrest Match 9:00 to 1:00

22-Jul-12 200 Buffalo Rifle Match 8:00 to 1:00

28-Jul-12 All ranges closed Woman's Day [email protected]

29-Jul-12 200/300 Unlimited Rifle Infantry Trophy 8:00 to 12:00