johnott

Texas mom defends home against two intruders.

Great story. Glad to see she and her son were ok.

One thing I want to point out is they probably had VOIP or a cell calling 911. I had to call 911 because our infant who was just home from the hospital was turning blue. While my husband prepared to assess him to see if he should start CPR , I was on the phone getting transferred THREE TIMES by Vonage , our carrier. The one time the operator cut me off mid sentence . 3rd person to get on the phone said , for the 3rd time "where are you located" By then the baby was breathing ( turns out he hold his breath and turns blue when he gets mad. How fun.) I told the 911 operator "forget it , thanks for nothing " and hung up on her while she was going "mam? mam?" . Nobody ever came . And yes , we have , supposedly , enhanced 911 on it. Anyone who watches the kids in this house is instructed to call our local police directly and hit 0 for emergency as soon as the auto attend picks up. They have 24 hour dispatch and can be here in literally a minute and can dispatch the ems or FD from their desk.

Always have a plan.

Good thing she's safe. But brining a BB gun and confronting the intruder was not the best idea. What if the intruders were also armed with guns?

I think she should have stayed upstairs and if the intruders came up then use the BB gun and hope the bad guns will be scared away. This will buy them more time to work on getting through to 911.

Time for her to go out and buy some real guns.

Good thing she's safe. But brining a BB gun and confronting the intruder was not the best idea. What if the intruders were also armed with guns?

I think she should have stayed upstairs and if the intruders came up then use the BB gun and hope the bad guns will be scared away. This will buy them more time to work on getting through to 911.

Time for her to go out and buy some real guns.

Uh - she grabbed a BB gun at first, then found the .22.

Why do you lock a 200 pound dog in a room when your house is being robbed?

Dog alone would have scared the s*&tums (thanks Anthony C) out of the house.

I have an English Mastiff . Let me tell you something..1st line of defense are the locks on the door . 2nd line of defense is that dog , and the 90 pound boxer /pit /tenesse walker tree hound ( don't ask I don't know how they know that ) mix . They would keep anyone busy while I'm herding kids and opening the safe and dialing , all at the same time.

I really don't know why you would lock up the big dog. They're like the Marines..first in .

Then again , reporting is often grossly innacurate . For all we know she locked the dog in the room with the kid..which would be an somewhat understandable thought process .

I have an English Mastiff . Let me tell you something..1st line of defense are the locks on the door . 2nd line of defense is that dog , and the 90 pound boxer /pit /tenesse walker tree hound ( don't ask I don't know how they know that ) mix . They would keep anyone busy while I'm herding kids and opening the safe and dialing , all at the same time.

I really don't know why you would lock up the big dog. They're like the Marines..first in .

Then again , reporting is often grossly innacurate . For all we know she locked the dog in the room with the kid..which would be an somewhat understandable thought process .

The article was written bad but Intruders locked the dog in the bathroom.

"Turns out the burglars closed the Maltese in the washing machine and locked the Mastiff in the bathroom."

It amuses me when people think so highly of their dogs for protection. Dogs are good for the barking deterent, they will wake everyone up in the house before anyone gets close to a window, and that alone is a good reason they will skip your house and go to the next. However, once inside, no dog can resist a good pound of chuck. Unless you have some sort of highly trained dog and you keep up with said training by feeding them your kids, that lovable house pet is going for the bonz every time. There used to be a tv show where a thief would break into your house, not even the meanest largest dog stopped them from getting the stuff. What you need is one of those rescue panthers, or a vegitarian dog.

• Like 1

^ not always true , sorry ..the pizza guy came back into our house without knocking or anything because I had his pen from the credit card signing. He made it a few steps in the hall before the Mastiff abandoned a piece of pepperoni as did my big mutt that I was having them "sit" for , pounced on the pizza guy drooling and baring teeth. Pizza boy back peddled on his a$$ all the way back into the foyer and went backwards down our front steps . The dogs did not stop their advance until he was rolling down the steps and I managed to call them off. They would have bitten him if he was not retreating. They left dangling pepperoni to get him. The guy could have tried stopping them with food , they would have just eaten it after he was neutralized lol

Some dogs bite when provoked , even if they are not trained. A lot do not , very true.

English Mastiffs as a breed are unpredictable in this area. Most do not make good guard dogs as they are not biters. I could see someone luring a big affable Mastiff into a bathroom. Not mine though , for whatever reason she will charge and try to bite. She may not be a pure bred as she is only 130 pounds. My boxer /pit/hound mix will absolutely initiate with someone who forced their way in the house . He is very protective and territorial .

Dogs sense your disposition, they are pack animals. I sense your pride in your dogs, everyone feels their dog is a great protector, its one of the selling points that overshadows the land mines in the yard. Pizza guy was scared and had no food, pizza guy just wanted his tip, you were calm, pizza guy was easy target. If it was someone who wanted in knowing there were dogs, they would be in. Its a dog, not a tiger. Ok maybe if its Rin Tin Tin. Everyone has scared delivery guy stories, i want to see intruder shredded stories. My dogs may slow someone down, but I would not bet mine or my families life on them. For that I have an alarm and S&W.

I sense a challenge... :)

The dogs would buy me time to get to the phone and the safe. 100% certain of that.

I had a Jack Russell that savaged the mailman's leg in the office I use to work in ( she use to go to work with me) . His name was Rudy. Rudy tried offering a biscuit on his way in one day because this was an ongoing issue , and she still attacked. She did not like him for some reason. She totally ignored his offer and shredded his pants . For two years after that I had to go to the Hackensack post office to pick up our company mail because our delivery purchases were revoked.

Actually , let's find a postal worker forum and ask them if dogs stand down when you offer them food when you are alone on their property. That should solve the debate :) Postal workers being bitten by dogs in yards is an epidemic in that profession. 5,669 postal workers were attacked in 2011 , despite the rigorous training they go through to avoid said confrontation.

Mastiffs are about as good watchdogs as Irish Setters in general. Mine is admittedly atypical. Been raised around dogs for 41 years , plenty bite intruders , not all , but plenty.

I may be one of the few dog enthusiasts/owners that thinks Cesar cherry picks his cases ..dog owners love him lol

Funnily enough , there are a lot of paralells in the world of legally defending your home with a firearm or a dog. I have been a long time member of a dog forum , and there has been so much discussion of "what happens when my dog bites someone on my property" ..and it does happen all the times. A person cutting through a yard that happens to have a couple of Rotties in it is in danger , even if they have a Bic Mac in their pocket . Especially when there is more than one dog. Dogs get more brazen with numbers . Anyway , there are plenty of articles with links to incidents where they wonder if the owners will be sued because the dog bit a trespasser. Unfortunately , it is usually benign tresspassers like teens cutting through your yard. As previously mentioned the mere presense of loud barking dogs will deter the nepharious ones ..they prefer a silent house.

And beware of dog signs have been used against people who have had their dog bite someone on their property. Most cities aggressive dog laws state that if you know your dog may bite you have to keep him secured , even on your own property. California is the most ridiculous with these propositions . Starting to sound familiar ?:)

Here is one from a thread last year ( I just wasted half hour finding it because it involved dogs and guns and I kind of remembered who posted it lol ) :

http://rawjustice.com/2011/01/31/dog-shot-while-defending-owner/

When my friends family was a victim of a home invasion (LI NY) his golden was the last one to wake up.

By then the crooks were in his bedroom doorway. They found his 38 under the bed wrapped in a t -shirt !!

Everyone was ok. But no one was ever convicted although thieves were caught a month later in the next town doing the same thing.

Needless to say the alarm installers were there at the crack of dawn the next day.

Oh , I have had dogs that would hold the door for an intruder. One of them a German Shepherd too. Just like people it is an individual thing. I 've trained 2 dogs to Schutzhund , 1 through competition agility , and 4 through Canine Good Citizen. They all have their personality strengths.Some I have had I would trust to hold an intruder at bay..others were good at barking and not much beyond that. The true balls of steel are wasted on the little dogs that are not big enough to do damage lol

I am not surprised they ( the burglers ) were able to lock a Mastiff in the closet. Mine is atypical. A fear biter , the most dangerous of biters . Not real happy about it , and I have to be careful who comes on the property. She was an adult rescue. Loves us and the kids..but life has changed since we have had her. Certainly can't leave her with just anyone to go on vacay.

Dogs are time buyers , holders , perimiter alarms etc. Even an attack dog is unlikely to kill or maim a grown person. If you look at dog related fatalities it is only children , elderly ..usually by a dog known to them.