blksheep

Probably why you should'nt open carry.

Just a question how many people sneak up on uniformed LEO's, and steal their open carried gun, in a year? Not many I'd bet.

Be aware of your surroundings, not a text messageing vegetable and it makes it real hard for someone to sneak up on you.

• Like 3

The first video is just car crashes, the second is the video of a police officer shooting himself by accident in the leg. The point is forming an opinion on one incident makes no sense. How many thousands of people in the U.S. carried a sidearm and were not robbed that day?

Originally this thread had to do with one guy who got his gun stolen because he was open carrying. Now you are turning into an ANTI-LEO thread again. If you have some beef with cops keep it to yourself. If it was a thread about gun safety then ok.

• Like 4

I am not forming an opinion on one incident. I am forming an opinion on what I teach and what I know. If you have a gun on, CCW or open dont make yourself a target. It is about surprise not "HEY LOOK I AM CARRYING A GUN, SHOOT ME FIRST". Agree or disagree on my philosophy, thats fine. When you become an Instructor you can teach however you want.

• Like 1

How is this against LEO in any way shape or form???? You are very confused. My point was very clear that just because one person does something dumb or has something bad happen to them that it is not a solid basis for forming an opinion that something is bad. Am I suggesting that people stop driving cars??? nope. Am I suggesting that police officers stop carry guns???? nope. Am I suggesting it is silly to stop riving cars because of accidents? yup. Am I suggesting that it would be silly for police officers to be disarmed because one of them shot himself? yup. Take a deep breath and take off your tin foil hat, it is not us against you.

• Like 1

On an attempt to lighten the mood, detract from the back and forth, and in no way contribute to the original posts subject of Open Carry... Here's an example of a good outcome (albeit close) of a successful CCW story

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Police said a desk clerk shot a man who was attempting to rob an east side motel on Saturday night.

Officers said that shortly before

p.m., a man walked into the Super 8 Motel, located at 2055 Brice Rd., showed a gun and demanded money.

Police said the desk clerk on duty then shot the alleged robber, Antoine Stephens.

Stephens, 20, was transported to Grant Medical Center and was in serious condition on Sunday morning, NBC 4 reported.

Police said he would be charged with aggravated robbery.

3 shots fired, all 3 hit the bad guy, gun was a glock 23, 40cal with 165g Gold dots

no charges filed agenst shooter, badguy went to prison.

Two customers displaying holstered pistols deterred an armed robbery in a Kennesaw Wafflehouse recently.

There is some debate raging in Georgia about whether people should conceal their holstered handguns while in public. Some believe that wearing handguns openly will result in a loss of the element of surprise during a criminal attack, such as an armed robbery, while others believe that wearing handguns openly deters criminal attack. For Matt Brannan and J.P. Mitchell, who carry openly as a routine, the issue is no longer academic.

Matt Brannan and J.P. Mitchell were dining in the Wafflehouse on Barrett Parkway at I-575 in Kennesaw at 4:45 in the morning recently when a scout for an armed robbery crew entered the restaurant to case it. At the time, Matt and J.P. thought he looked a little suspicious, as he was wandering around the small restaurant like he was looking for someone. Unknown to Matt and J.P., two cars full of armed robbers were parked behind the restaurant waiting for the scout's report.

The scout saw that two of the customers were wearing holstered 1911 Springfield Mil-Spec .45 pistols, and he immediately turned and left the store.

Meanwhile, conscientious Cobb County Police Officer D. Lowe had noticed suspicious cars sitting behind the restaurant in the dark and decided to investigate. He caught men with masks and rifles who had been preparing to rob the Wafflehouse. The criminals informed the police that they had changed their mind upon discovering armed customers and were waiting for Matt and J.P. to leave. Ironically, the police car was pulling in to the parking lot just as Matt and J.P. were driving away. In other words, had Matt and J.P. not been armed, the robbery probably would have occurred before the police intervened.

Captain Jerry Quan, the Commander for Precinct One, where the Wafflehouse is located, confirmed Matt Brannan's story as one in which the open display of a pistol deterred a well armed robbery crew.

Matt Brannan is making an Open Records Act request, and there will be an update to this story when more information is available. The case number is 09-133500. There will be updates and follow up articles as more information becomes available.

If you do not want to miss any follow up articles, please click on the Subsribe button under the headline, above.

Just a question how many people sneak up on uniformed LEO's, and steal their open carried gun, in a year? Not many I'd bet.

Be aware of your surroundings, not a text messageing vegetable and it makes it real hard for someone to sneak up on you.

About 5-7 LEOs a year get killed by their own sidearm. It usually works out to about 10%. Small percentage sure but sucks to be one of them.

I don't know how many get their gun snatched. It used to be more common before retention training and holsters became commonplace. If you look at photos of NYPD in the 60s and 70s when they wore that swivel holster with the cilp that held the trigger guard you'll see many guys wearing their gun so it lays on their right (or left) thigh.

Shooting so close to a small child seems foolish.

normally I would agree to this, but if this man was certain of his abilities to decide to defend himself and the bystander I support his decision. We can what if all day long, but if the perp made the decision to not leave witnesses, everyone including the small child never makes it home.

Originally this thread had to do with one guy who got his gun stolen because he was open carrying. Now you are turning into an ANTI-LEO thread again. If you have some beef with cops keep it to yourself. If it was a thread about gun safety then ok.

Been waiting to use this...

post-1785-0-15806100-1329677802_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Not only that, whats up with that lady she like moves 6 inches over, you would think she would head to the other side of the room..

Im sure she was in shock. My issue is if she moved 6 inches to her left her baby gets on in between the eyes. I highly doubt(but could be wrong) that if she moves into the line of fire or if the perp puts her in between the shootrr would have the discipline to stop firing

Worked out well. Glad they are ok

Im sure she was in shock. My issue is if she moved 6 inches to her left her baby gets on in between the eyes. I highly doubt(but could be wrong) that if she moves into the line of fire or if the perp puts her in between the shootrr would have the discipline to stop firing

Worked out well. Glad they are ok

Thats all that matters.

No ones feelings were hurt. I was posting about bad strategy carrying open. Then some guy gets his feelings hurts and feels he needs to post about why cops shouldnt carry guns, or makes a poor joke.

I had a thought, if me using a video about a cop shooting himself to make a point about how one incident is no means to decide that something shouldn't be done and it makes me anit-LEO in your opinion by that logic are you anti-non LEO because you posted a video of a non LEO doing something stupid?

I am not sure how clearer I can be about it. It was not suggesting that cops should be disarmed and it was not a joke. I am really blown away at how you cannot grasp this concept though. It is a comparison that one incident is not worth basing a whole ideal on. There are plenty of situations where open carry would be a poor choice, but to say open carry is bad 100% of the time is just plan wrong.

My feelings were never hurt, just my faith in the school system here.

• Like 1

I had a thought, if me using a video about a cop shooting himself to make a point about how one incident is no means to decide that something shouldn't be done and it makes me anit-LEO in your opinion by that logic are you anti-non LEO because you posted a video of a non LEO doing something stupid?

I am not sure how clearer I can be about it. It was not suggesting that cops should be disarmed and it was not a joke. I am really blown away at how you cannot grasp this concept though. It is a comparison that one incident is not worth basing a whole ideal on. There are plenty of situations where open carry would be a poor choice, but to say open carry is bad 100% of the time is just plan wrong.

Why not this video then? Which is just as popular?

• Like 1

No, in my opinion as a Firearms Instructor you should not carry openly.

• Like 1

Shooting so close to a small child seems foolish.

My first thought when I watched that I'm surprised he didn't get charged with endangering the welfare of a child. He was firing only a few feet away from the poor kid.

Good for the shooter to stop the perp, but with a woman and a child, i would have just given the money and let it be personally. But to each's own. If he trusts his abilities that much, more power to him.

If a State allows concealed carry as well as open carry then I personally struggle with why people would open carry assuming that there is nothing preventing them from obtaining the necessary concealed permit (if required).

I would rather legally carry a firearm concealed where it provides some element of surprise, rather than legally carry open and have all around me being aware I am carrying. Carrying open in my view would just make me more of a potential first target in a scenario, It could also increase the chance that civilians (and others) around me start screaming/shouting at me to draw the weapon and defend them in a situation where drawing at that point in time is not appropriate or recommended. It could also increase the chance of someone trying to make a grab for the firearm and even if they are not successful due to the use of a retention holster and being aware of my surroundings it is still not a situation I would like to be in.

If carrying concealed then I believe it gives me a greater opportunity to choose if and when I draw my firearm. Assuming that my judgement is not flawed and I am aware of the situation around me then this increases the chance that I will either be able to defend myself/others or stop the threat.

If I was in a State/situation that allows open carry but not concealed carry then it may be a different decision as to whether to carry open, or not carry.

Just my personal view.

TheWombat