It seems that Windows Update decided to upgrade my IE8 to EI9, without my permission :). The 1st thing I've noticed is that I no longer have the Favorites button that I used to have to easily/quickly bring up the Favorites on the left-hand side of the screen. Is this still available in IE9?

Favorites is the little star in the upper right hand corner under the min/max/close buttons.

Oh, and you really should migrate to Chrome or Firefox, you eliminate the #1 vector for malware by doing so.

Edited by Malsua

Got it, thanks. I take it there's no way to get that to display on the left side of the screen, instead of the right side? In this version it seems to be more like a pop-up window vs. integrated itself as a window pane like it does in IE8.

Any reason not to stay on IE9 or should I back out to IE8? I guess sooner or later I'll have to get familiar with IE9.

Oh, and you really should migrate to Chrome or Firefox, you eliminate the #1 vector for malware by doing so.

I would install and begin using Chrome or Firefox before you get used to IE9. Also, if your machine ever does get infected with malware that affects IE, you'll have a backup.

Favorites is the little star in the upper right hand corner under the min/max/close buttons.

This....

yes..convert.. IE is the devil. Youll find firefox or chrome considerably faster.

IE9 has more security features and Hardware acceleration. There are a ton of other little improvements over 8. If you're going to stay in that world, at least be current. I only use IE for one reason...downloads from technet. IE is tightly integrated into the operating system. Compromise IE, you've compromised windows.

As far as moving the buttons...you can do that with Chrome or Firefox but no idea if it can be moved in IE9. In IE9, you can click open the favorites and at the top left, there's a little arrow thingy that will move it to the left. As for permanently moving it...no clue.

As mentioned above, the very first thing you should do is download and use ANY other web browser. Chrome, Firefox, or even Opera. The next thing you should do is never use IE again. You will find them faster, less cluttered, have a better interface, easier to use, more secure, and still have more options than IE.

If only Opera would fix some of its compatibility issues, that would make me happy.

They're both faster and less of a security risk than IE.

That as well as more extensible with various extensions to control or monitor behavior. Like Ghostery if you want to see how many websites are tracking you at one time(it's pretty astonishing really) or FireFTP if you want a simple FTP client to send files to your hosting service. All good stuff.

Well, I just removed IE9 and allowed IE8 to be the browser. I'm not willing to accept the IE9 interface anytime soon, so IE8 it will be. I really never had any issues with IE8 anyway and like the flexability of it. That being said, I guess I should give Chrome a look at. I had Firefox years ago, but it was way more than what I was looking for in a browser.

Well, I just removed IE9 and allowed IE8 to be the browser. I'm not willing to accept the IE9 interface anytime soon, so IE8 it will be. I really never had any issues with IE8 anyway and like the flexability of it. That being said, I guess I should give Chrome a look at. I had Firefox years ago, but it was way more than what I was looking for in a browser.

I really like firefox, mainly because there are so many add-ons for it. I don't know what I would do without AdBlock+, NoScript, HTTPS everywhere, and the youtube video downloader, plus probably a few more I can't remember right now.

It seems that Windows Update decided to upgrade my IE8 to EI9, without my permission :). The 1st thing I've noticed is that I no longer have the Favorites button that I used to have to easily/quickly bring up the Favorites on the left-hand side of the screen. Is this still available in IE9?

Ctrl+Shift+I

Or go to View tab, Explorer bars, Favorites

Not to hijack this thread, but most are highly recommending firefox. Can those of you using it please maybe explain to me why mine locks up/freezes on ANY youtube video, as well as most flash videos elsewhere? been bugging the hell out of me, I have two identical laptops, one is fine, mine locks up....

Sounds like a flash player issue. Firefox is probably the best browser out there, you just have to make sure your plug-ins are up-to-date. Every time firefox updates it should check your plugins and let you know if they need updating, they do require plug in updates sometimes.

First, remove/uninstall flash player from your computer, make sure your browser is up to date. Then re-install flash. Sometimes you have to uninstall the program if it doesn't update correctly, i had a similar issue with the ORIGIN client for BattleField 3 on Firefox, it updated the program to play the game, but the browser never recognized it.