blksheep

If anyone is interested in a Colt Gold Cup...

It was set up for games

How? The presence of a red dot doesn't necessarily mean it is set-up for games. They use optics for bullseye also. Agree with Lunker that the price isn't that great unless it's a series 70 and the optic is high-end. Nice guns though.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

:) I honestly dont know what it was set up for. My dad was looking at .45's and settled I think on a Glock 21SF. I was surprised, when he said that it felt really good. I thought for sure he was going to go 1911 style. They also had a Citadel for 500 ish. The mostly had Kimbers and Taurus.

Waste of time? Absolutely.

Gotta really disagree with you there. When I go to the range and watch people put their targets at 7 yards and be satisfied with a 4" group, or hitting the target 90% of the time, I just have to shake my head. Just as today's youth is all caught-up in video games, often to the exclusion of other life-enriching endeavors, so are todays shooters caught up in the action pistol games, where targets are close and the shooting is fast and furious. Nothing wrong with that, but let's not denigrate the segment of our sport that lays the best possible foundation for whatever future direction we wish to in with the shooting sports.

Bullseye teaches all the fundamentals: Grip, breath control, trigger squeeze, sight picture, etc, etc. Not to say those can't be learned in other ways, but it's a little hard to concentrate on fundamentals when you are running around and trying to beat the clock. Bullseye is a pure segment of our sport that allows one the the time and the feedback to lay a proper foundation. Just because you may find it boring doesn't mean it's a waste of time.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 3

Absolutely true, and not disagreeing that it teaches fundamental marksmanship.

I was stating waste of time as in the context of being a "game"

To me, a game seems fun and exciting, does not need to be practical, and an overall great time.

Bullseye, for me, is not, and in that context, a waste of time.

Bullseye teaches all the fundamentals: Grip, breath control, trigger squeeze, sight picture, etc, etc. Not to say those can't be learned in other ways, but it's a little hard to concentrate on fundamentals when you are running around and trying to beat the clock. Bullseye is a pure segment of our sport that allows one the the time and the feedback to lay a proper foundation.

The grip, breath control, trigger squeeze, sight picture are all evident in more run and gun sports, in fact, are better lessons because you are under pressure on the clock... (if you choose to compete) When you combine movement into the equation, it makes it even more difficult.

Furthermore, I find shooting to be a social sport, where we spend most of the time interacting with others and giving back. In that regard, bullseye is a waste as you are there primarily to shoot and scoot.

I shot bullseye matches in HS with 22 Anschutz target rifles at 50' into targets 1-1/2 inch big with the 10 ring the size of a 22 bullet. It is anything but boring. I have been to a USPSA match and it's just a different type of fun. I don't see how that's not a social sport since you are interacting with other shooters as well. It might not be as fast paced but it sure is exciting when you hit bulleye on targets you can barely see through the ghost ring sights.

That was really my point. I had just as much social interaction with other shooters, and just as much fun (it was the only game in town) as I do now with action pistol. But one other niggling point - adding difficulty to a learning environment doesn't make it better. If that were the case, we would have all learned to drive on the race track.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

That was really my point. I had just as much social interaction with other shooters, and just as much fun (it was the only game in town) as I do now with action pistol. But one other niggling point - adding difficulty to a learning environment doesn't make it better. If that were the case, we would have all learned to drive on the race track.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I always take these high level seminars from well known MMA fighters , and they always emphasize drilling the fundamentals occasionally , and drilling them slowly. If you can do it well slow and break it down to its barest parts , you will do it that much better when done with speed. I have heard that lesson in other training venues for other sports and activities too.I haven't done any competitive shooting , yet , but I bet it carries over to shooting .

I always take these high level seminars from well known MMA fighters , and they always emphasize drilling the fundamentals occasionally , and drilling them slowly. If you can do it well slow and break it down to its barest parts , you will do it that much better when done with speed. I have heard that lesson in other training venues for other sports and activities too.I haven't done any competitive shooting , yet , but I bet it carries over to shooting .

Back to basics carry back to most things when you get right down to it.

Bullseye is a very "frustrating" but disciplined game. You won't learn bad things shooting bullseye. Try shooting the short National Match course. It's something you can do on your own at any range that's 25yds.:

SLOW FIRE which is ten rounds in ten minutes,

TIMED FIRE which is two five-round strings within twenty seconds,

RAPID FIRE which is two five-round strings in ten seconds.

Place all your shots within the 5.5" bull to at least place in a match, keep them inside a little less than 3.5" to hopefully win. When I shot bullseye, red dots where just starting to emerge on the scene. I'd say four out of five on the line shot iron sights at 25 yds. at that time. The got-to-be-ahead-of-the-curve folks shot red dots or the real adventurous ones a low-powered EER scope.

PS - I tried competing with my GC, but didn't have the patience. I did better with my M52.

I was stating waste of time as in the context of being a "game"

To me, a game seems fun and exciting, does not need to be practical, and an overall great time.

Bullseye, for me, is not, and in that context, a waste of time.

Ok - and favorite Russian pastime game is game of Kings called Chess...

I was just at Cheyenne Mtn in Yardville and they had a Cold Gold Cup Used in Great Condition with a red dot optic for $1200. It was sweet.

Back to the original post... Thanks for the info. If it was a total custom job by a competent smith then $1200 is a bargain. Considering it has a red dot on it then it may have had more work done to it.