leo

Question with dual PA and NJ living

Hey guys,

I have looked for an answer for this for a few days now and I have not quite gotten what I am looking for so let me just ask out right.

I currently own a house in PA, I left the house in PA, now my sister is living there. I moved in with my girlfriend in NJ.

I have 2 pistols and a shotgun that I purchased in PA ( I do have a CCW in PA) all firearms are also Jersey legal (mag no more than 15).

So I would like some clarification on what I need or don’t need.

I don’t want to give up my PA residence, I also know that I don’t have to declare my firearms in NJ, so do I need to get a NJ FID?

A local LEO told me that as long as the guns were purchased legally in any state I am fine in NJ.

Also, if I go to the range from my NJ apt. to PA and get pulled over and show the LEO a PA licenses, will he give me shit about being in NJ going to a PA range?

I just want to cover all my bases, thank you for any feedback!

You should (to be safe) get a NJ FID card and DL since you live in NJ now.

Travel to and from range without un-necessary stops will kill you in NJ..

Leave firearms at your PA residence in a SAFE in the basement.. and be done..

I'm not an expert and not giving ANY advise on this matter other than the underlined sentence.

Yes, I am very aware of making sure once I leave my NJ apt to make zero stops until I get to gun range. I am heading to my local police office this week and see what they say.

I really don’t want to leave my guns in PA bc I plan to go to more NJ ranges now that I live in NJ, and I also don’t want to give up my PA residence bc makes it easier to buy more guns when I want to.

But thank you for your advice!

A NJ Firearms ID card acts like a license to carry a rifle. Without one, you are subject to the same travel restrictions as you are with a handgun - to and from home/range/place of owned business with Reasonable deviations only (your guess is as good as mine as to what consitutes reasonable in a retarded state like NJ).

A NJ FID card also allows you to purchase handgun ammo in this state. Without it, you need to buy elsewhere.

I also don’t want to give up my PA residence bc makes it easier to buy more guns when I want to.

Your local PD in NJ are going to tell you to get a NJ license and NJFID.

(don't mention to the PD the part about ability to buy firearms in PA easier)

as your LIVING in NJ.

Pardon me if I'm wrong... Don't you need the gun registration, I mean NJ 'FID' card to MATCH your legal residence address? Now that your driver lic, say NJ, your place of Res says NJ, your PA-CCW is no longer valid? Unless you own properties in multi states? And applying for pistol permission slips in NJ and buying pistols in Pa means your pistols are 'bastard children'?

Dunno....

Your local PD in NJ are going to tell you to get a NJ license and NJFID.

(don't mention to the PD the part about ability to buy firearms in PA easier)

as your LIVING in NJ.

THIS^^^^^^^

If you are not staying in PA anymore, you cannot be a PA resident legally. The cops will tell you have X days (30? I can't remember) to change your license over from the day you move here, before you are in violation of the law. You also cannot get a FID card with a NJ address on it without getting a NJ DL. The only way you can be a duel resident is if you are staying regularly at both locations.

Pardon me if I'm wrong... Don't you need the gun registration, I mean NJ 'FID' card to MATCH your legal residence address? Now that your driver lic, say NJ, your place of Res says NJ, your PA-CCW is no longer valid? Unless you own properties in multi states? And applying for pistol permission slips in NJ and buying pistols in Pa means your pistols are 'bastard children'?

Dunno....

PA CCP is valid till expiration even if you move.. unless you violate something that would void it. (what I was told (by Bucks County Sheriffs office) when I lived in NJ with a Centre County PA CCP and wanted to get one in Bucks County when I moved to PA bacl in 2004)..

A New Jersey Firearms ID is not required to keep your firearms in your home in NJ. It is not required to transport your guns from your home in NJ to a range, another home, to hunt, a gun smith or to a business you own. As long as your stick to those exempted places, you are 100% legally transporting your firearms. There is no mandatory registration of firearms in NJ.

As to getting a firearms purchaser ID, it is a good idea. A FPID, does not confer _ANY_ legality, whatsoever to handguns. If you have a handgun, and you are not doing an exempted activity outlined above, you committing an indictable offense FPID or not. As noted above, a FPID is a "carry card" for long guns. You may have long guns outside of the outlined exemptions if you have obtained a FPID. You may also purchase ammunittion usable in a handgun with a firearms purchaser ID.

The benefit of having a FPID is that a LEO on the side of the road will know that at least at some point, you have passed a background check. If you do not have any outstanding wants and warrants, he may be more inclinded to send you on your way. Essentially, some LEOs may look at the FPID as a firearms OWNERSHIP ID. If you have one, they may let you go, if you don't they may lock you up and let a judge sort it out. There is simply no way of knowing how an encounter will go only that having a FPID is more likely to result in a favorable result for you. There are no guarantees, but it could possibly reduce your risks therefore the best course is to simply get one.

hey mark,

thanx for that detailed explanation, I will be headed to the barracks this week to apply for my FPID, I was just worried if I got ever pulled over in NJ with my PA licenses about getting shit but I am sure a PFID on me will help ease tensions.

Okay then. To the OP;

If you keep your PA license, you can obtain a NJ FPID card with your PA address on it, allowing you to obtain ammunition and long guns from a dealer ONLY in NJ. You will not be able to obtain any handguns in NJ.

If you get a NJ driver's license, you can obtain ammunition, handguns and long guns from ANYONE in NJ. Your purchase might be limited in PA unless you can get another government issued photo ID for that state.

Okay then. To the OP;

If you keep your PA license, you can obtain a NJ FPID card with your PA address on it, allowing you to obtain ammunition and long guns from a dealer ONLY in NJ. You will not be able to obtain any handguns in NJ.

If you get a NJ driver's license, you can obtain ammunition, handguns and long guns from ANYONE in NJ. Your purchase might be limited in PA unless you can get another government issued photo ID for that state.

cool...but if i get pulled over in NJ going to a range in PA with a FID will LEO give me shit?

Legally you are a resident of one, and only one, state. Part time, ie; less than 1/2 year, does not make one a resident.

In reality I would love to get a PA DL. Just think, no more OGAM! But, no can do as a resident of NJ

Legally you are a resident of one, and only one, state. Part time, ie; less than 1/2 year, does not make one a resident.

In reality I would love to get a PA DL. Just think, no more OGAM! But, no can do as a resident of NJ

As far as buying firearms the BATF does recgonize duel residency if you have actual residences in each state and stay at each location at least periodically. This will allow someone in that position to buy in both states.

• Like 1

As far as buying firearms the BATF does recognize duel residency if you have actual residences in each state and stay at each location at least periodically. This will allow someone in that position to buy in both states.

By golly, you are correct! Some Google-fu proves the BATFE will accept dual residency status for the purpose of purchasing firearms. Now all one need do is somehow obtain a second state to issue a driver's license or similar form of ID and good to go.

wonder if you can have 2 licenses. when you apply for the second, don't surrender any existing license & take the road test?

just wondering...

to get a PA license I had to surrender my NJ one..

they gave me the license back.. but put two holes in it.. about the size of a 223 round...

I remember thinking.. yeah I would like to shoot this thing full of holes.. obviously they feel the same..

By golly, you are correct! Some Google-fu proves the BATFE will accept dual residency status for the purpose of purchasing firearms. Now all one need do is somehow obtain a second state to issue a driver's license or similar form of ID and good to go.

You must actually have a second home in the other state, if you do you can buy, any gun legal there, with your NJ DL and a government issued bill (or the like) that has your name on it and is sent to your second residence (tax bill, government owned utility). Not all dealers are aware of this, and even some that are will not sell to you because they don't want to deal with explaining your residence situation to NICS.

You must actually have a second home in the other state, if you do you can buy, any gun legal there, with your NJ DL and a government issued bill (or the like) that has your name on it and is sent to your second residence (tax bill, government owned utility). Not all dealers are aware of this, and even some that are will not sell to you because they don't want to deal with explaining your residence situation to NICS.

Is this still the case in buying a handgun?  If you have a home in Pennsylvania and you go there, say on the weekends, can you purchase a handgun?  And, if so, are there any Pennsylvania dealers that will actually go through with this? 

to get a PA license I had to surrender my NJ one..

they gave me the license back.. but put two holes in it.. about the size of a 223 round...

I remember thinking.. yeah I would like to shoot this thing full of holes.. obviously they feel the same..

LOL!

Is this still the case in buying a handgun?  If you have a home in Pennsylvania and you go there, say on the weekends, can you purchase a handgun?  And, if so, are there any Pennsylvania dealers that will actually go through with this? 

You know more than me but I can't see any PA FFL taking such a chance knowing how screwed up the PRNJ is!