njluger

Remember to always inspect your ammo!

I'm pretty careful about actually inspecting every round (factory or reload) prior to loading it up into a magazine. So far, I've had a perfect string of ammo - not one seemed out of spec until today! I was going through a box of Remington Golden Sabers I have at home and found a few rounds with bent case rims like the one below in one box. Goes to show that even "premium" factory ammo can have QC issues. I've contacted Remington and so far they've been very responsive, which is great!

i-QCqHzqd-L.jpg

No, it was more like 4 rounds in a 25 round box...at the premium you pay for JHP ammo, you expect their QC to catch stuff like this.

Ok, I would have called about that too. Wasn't being a douche by the way. I thought you called about one round. For what it's worth there were a few posts about Remington ammo issues in the last year.

You contacted them over one crappy round?

I would, not only would a good company probably do something for you, but also a good company would want to know the lot number so they can see if there were other problems. After all, it's us the shooters making companies aware of problems that lead to recalls, and warning notices to other shooters. Sometimes is something obvious by looking at it, other times it's something hidden that can be a real problem.

Eh, I wouldn't call for one bad round, I would call if there was three or more though, Especially if it was a 25 round box.

I wouldn't bother if I had a dud in a range ammo bulk box.

I sure would call with a dud in a SD round. These need to work 100%.

If the case is screwed that bad what are the chances the crimp is any good?

Sure lowers the confidence that these rounds would go bang versis

Kaboom or pffffttt.

• Like 1

I wouldn't bother if I had a dud in a range ammo bulk box.

I sure would call with a dud in a SD round. These need to work 100%.

If the case is screwed that bad what are the chances the crimp is any good?

Sure lowers the confidence that these rounds would go bang versis

Kaboom or pffffttt.

Exactly. It might be a known lot issue.

Especially with SD ammo which is already loaded hot, I would want to know if there are issues with it, to prevent a KB.

I would have called about one bad round. Call me a sleaze, but ammo is too expensive nowadays. I would have just tossed a .22 though.

Honestly, I read a lot of bad things about Remington ammo. M

I usually eyeball the pack of ammo as soon as I get it. Buying in bulk instead of at the range gives me the luxury of inspecting prior to loading. Also when I load mags I make sure to feel the case rim and usually that keeps me from loading rounds with QC issues. So far I have not had any issues with my SD rounds (Remington Golden Sabers, Hornady TAP / Personal Defense, and Gold Dots) but usually weed out 1-2 rounds per bulk pack of Federal/WWB this way.

Different situation but something to also consider. I bought 500 x .45 ACP Speer Gold Dot from Target Sports USA back in November. I've shot probably 40 rounds at the range and went to grab another of the 20 rnd boxes yesterday to take to RTSP for the HK45. It was actually a box of .45 GAP !!!!

I checked the remaining boxes and it looks like only 1 box is .45 GAP instead of .45 ACP, no idea what would have happened if I had not noticed it.

TheWombat

Quick update. I received a nice letter from Remington's Product Services for their Ammo Plant. It had a pre-paid FedEx label in it. Sending off the bad rounds to Remington for remediation.

What I liked in Remington's note to me, they said, "We are very interested in hearing customer comments, negative or positive. Whatever the issue, when a product is returned, every effort is made to identify the root cause of the problem."

I like their approach so far and they've been very good in the communications. Let's see how they "fix" this.

Just wanted to let everyone know how this ended. I sent in the defective rounds and within about a week I received a nice apology letter from Remington indicating that the issue was caused by a jam at the bullet insertion station on their loading equipement. They also included a reimbursement check to cover the cost of 2 new replacement boxes of ammo. Pretty nice gesture in my opinion.

+1 for Remington Customer Service!

Just wanted to let everyone know how this ended. I sent in the defective rounds and within about a week I received a nice apology letter from Remington indicating that the issue was caused by a jam at the bullet insertion station on their loading equipement. They also included a reimbursement check to cover the cost of 2 new replacement boxes of ammo. Pretty nice gesture in my opinion.

+1 for Remington Customer Service!

Cool, thats what I think should have been done, that and at least they had information from you that would have them look at this problems and if it was on a large scale they could have issued a recall.