Brisco

PLease Tell me again why we don't deserve CCW

I used to race and my 60 foot times always told me if I improved torque while the traps indicated horsepower gains if the 60 foots were the same. I was generalizing with my 60 foot times. With a 4000rpm torque converter, the line locks engaged, I could get 1.60 60 foots, but my engine was built more for high rpm HP and did most of the ET in the 2nd half of the quarter to get 11.70s at 125mph.

Yea unfortunatly for me my connecting rods are basically living on the edge so I cant add any more power to gain trap speed. I usually run 12.3x at a whopping 108mph. So I concentrate on getting her to hook as well as I can and when the money comes for some forged internals I'll worry more about the big half.

If you are in your vehicle, the instinct should ALWAYS be to gas it and get the hell away. It will take the bad guy at least 500 milliseconds to figure out what is happening and another 250ms to raise his firearm. The chances of getting the shot off, of hitting someone in the vehicle and having it be a fatal hit approach zero after 2 seconds. I'll take that 1.25 second gamble rather than gamble of the benevolence of a guy pointing a gun at me.

^ This I completely agree with. Get out of there and do it fast!

Yes i was a victim of an attempted carjacking which mimics this situation. The carjackers Glock was 2 feet from my 2 year old daughters head when they tried to block me in a corner of a 4 lane intersection. I was on my way home when i noticed a car taking 3 turns in sync with me despite me not signaling. If it weren't for my situational awareness things could've ended differently. As I approached a light on a 4 way intersection I simply didnt allow him to block me. I stopped in the middle of the lane instead of the line divider. The extra 2 feet between my car and the curb helped me get a better line of escape without them completely blocking me in. They came around my car and a gunman kicked the back door open fully masked in all black with a both hands already on his Glock. As he took his first step my first reaction was to get my daughter out of harms way. I didn't think twice and there wasn't a second I could spare. I put my car on 1st gear and floored it before the guy was able to put his sights up to his eye. This happened to me and my family Nov 15 2011 in Jersey City. Theres no arm chairing here bud. The only difference with my situation is they got away and the carjackers got away and never made it to eyewitness news.

First off, I am glad to hear you got away safely. My intentions were not to insult anyone by saying "arm chairing" so I apologize if that came across the wrong way.

You hit a very key point here. Situational awareness. You knew something was up watching this guy follow you which gave you time to prepare mentally options on how to get out of the situation. I think this makes a huge difference in a situation like a car jacking. Even if it was only 30 seconds of thinking, it was way different from being startled by someone suddenly at your window with a gun having no idea that something was not right.

I have spent time in the emergency services (fire and ems, not LEO) and have had training on situational awareness. I'm confident in being able to make fast decisions under stress, but being I never had a gun pulled on me in any situation can't honestly tell you what exactly I would do if put in that scenario. For me looking at the story from the outside, my opinion is that it's a coin toss as to what the better option for me would be. Then again professionally I am paid to look at things from different angles and weigh the "what if's" which is why I look at many things from a 50/50 odds point of view.

Allow me to correct myself: a trained, legal ccw holder that practices has better odds of hitting their target than someone who does not train and practice. Stress will be a major factor as to the outcome of the situation however training should increase the odds of being effective.

I would love to take a class that runs simulations on this. I'm curious to know how exactly I would react. Granted knowing it would be a simulation, at least I would get some insight on my reaction.

Simunitions classes such as the Simunitions Survival day I recently attended would provide you the type of scenarios that would help. Simunitions is also useful to understand how you would react, and the time it would take to draw/shoot.. If a perpetrator already has a firearm pointed at you, then the chance of being able to draw and shoot quicker than they can react is low. The main downside of Simunitions is that you are doing them in condition Red as you know something is going to happen, whereas in real life you may find yourself more relaxed.

I would say that in the car example given above of the car-jacking, having a CCW may be of limited value, if you went to draw your weapon you'd likely be fired upon before you were able to draw, and you have very limited mobility. Either giving up the car, or rapidly driving away are probably the better options. Albeit just a personal view.

If you are thinking of exiting the car, and then shooting as the perpetrator gets in with their back to you, then this presumably may not meet NJ's guidelines, and you could end up convicted.

Just some thoughts

theWombat

I got punched in the side of the head repeatedly at a red light on McCarter's highway heading towards Penn Station . I was 19 and dumb enough ( carefree enough whatever) to drive with my window open. I was driving a 1969 Pontiac Catalina ..405 ..big beast of a car. I was just sitting at the light one second , next second I am being hit hard . I punched the gas to the floor and took off . Memory is funny in these sitautions , I seem to remember the assault continuing as I drove through the red but the guy dropped off my car after a few seconds. Couldn't tell what the person looked like or anything. I don't know what would have happened if I did not punch the gas. I think I would hit the gas no matter what. With the stats on hitting someone standing 10 feet away in a stressful situation , I will take my chances the guy trying to get into my vehicle wasn't a contender on Top Shot. Not to mention the decent survival rate on actually being shot in a non vital spot. I would rather take my chances that he will A) miss B) not hit something vital

Conversly , there was a guy from Kearny 20 or so odd years ago that stole his mother's car ( he was a problem from childhood on..he was a grown man when this happened and would be in his late 40s now) , his mother called KPD ..an officer got to the car at a light ..the LEO tried to take the keys , the guy rolled up the power window and took off dragging the officer. The officer shot into the car as he was being dragged and hit the driver's femoral artery and killed him. The LEO and this guy had gone to high school together. Awful situation :

You can get shot and killed in your vehicle. Depends on the situation . All in all I think the deck is stacked in your situation if you try to get away , there are just no guarantees . Situational awareness , training , training , more training will put that in your toolbox.

Leaning into a car is a no no in tactics. For that very reason.

Rumor has it since they "knew " each other the officer felt comfortable trying to reason with him , trying to get his keys , etc. I am sure the LEO is real sorry he broke protocol after the fact . They had played football together , I bet the LEO was trying to keep him from getting arrested ,period. As is often the case with a lot of dangerous things/activities..familiarity can make you let your guard down. From what I heard the LEO was very traumatized.

Leaning into a car is a no no in tactics. For that very reason.

You lean towards my car and I think your hostile, and I will most likely swing that door open hard on your damn head and hit the gas.. heh

Always have a NYC mentality.

Don't wait for the stranger to finish his or her sentence.

It's not rude to ignore strangers talking to you.

Always maintain a safe buffer distance either on foot or vehicle.

Like bears, don't maintain eye contact! LOL

Muggers always seem innocent asking your stuff while they close in on you:

What time is it?

Do you have change for a dollar so I can pay the meter?

Did you just dropped this? Is this yours?

How do I get to 33rd street?

How to I get to McDonalds?

Always have a NYC mentality.

Don't wait for the stranger to finish his or her sentence.

It's not rude to ignore strangers talking to you.

Always maintain a safe buffer distance either on foot or vehicle.

Like bears, don't maintain eye contact! LOL

Muggers always seem innocent asking your stuff while they close in on you:

What time is it?

Do you have change for a dollar so I can pay the meter?

Did you just dropped this? Is this yours?

How do I get to 33rd street?

How to I get to McDonalds?

That is a good point. I recently started watching 'The Real Hustle" (British version), where they do actual scams and thefts, and use this technique a lot. The point of the show is to make people aware of criminals and their tactics. Even the most innocent seeming people can have the worst intentions. Unfortunately being a nice and trusting person is not always a good thing, and often can be the worse thing. If you are rude to a stranger, who cares? Of course being polite to strangers can be a hard thing to overcome, especially if that stranger is a gorgeous woman, but as Jessica Jane Clement has shown, they make the best criminals!

The fear of being rude does a lot of victims in , particularly women.

This :

Allen Prue had plowed Jenkins' driveway several years ago and had asked her on a date. Jenkins' friend told police she had been "uncomfortable" around Prue. When he showed up at her home last fall to offer his services, the friend told police Jenkins declined and said she would call him if she ever needed him.

From this case , demonstrates that all too well. Happens all the time. Listen to your gut .

http://abcnews.go.com/US/melissa-jenkins-son-mommy-cried-pulled-neck/story?id=16019048#.T3omC9UycbY

The FBI has kept statistics on shootings. The number one key to avoid being shot is distance. 90% of all shootings occur within 21 feet. 90% of all fatal shootings occur within 10 feet.

An ordinary car can be 30 feet away within 2 seconds if you floor it. A performance car will be 50 feet away in 2 seconds.

It is nearly impossible to disable a car with a handgun.

Um, no. Look up the 0-60 times on most vehicles. You're in the ten second range, or more.

Performance vehicles? 5-6 second range. Less if you have a supercar, like a Ferrari.