Bully

Lever Gun Optics?

I am working on getting a .38/.357mag lever gun. It's already drilled and tapped for optics. Is there anything y'all can recommend for UNDER 200 bux.

Primarily the rifle will be a range gun at shorter distances but I may look to take it to 100 yards and possibly make it a deer gun. I would like a compact optic with a decent field of view. Maybe a variable, but not set on that. I want glass as I don't see quite as well as I would like if I am going to hunt. Not old yet, but getting there :onthequiet: .

I have looked at this one, mostly driven by whiz-bang stuff and price, but if the glass is better, I will go without the stuff that will make my 12 year old happy!

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leapers-utg-3-9x32-compact-cqb-bug-buster-rifle-scope-w-rings-sunshade.html

Anyway, any help will be appreciated.

C

Pardon my saying so, but that's crap. A decent low-cost optic, especially for a handgun caliber, would be something like this...

http://www.opticsplanet.net/weaver-rifle-scopes-v3-hunting-849400.html

Should do you fine out to 100 yards, which is pretty much the limitation the cartridge imposes for consistent accuracy.

Again, JMHO

Adios,

PIzza Bob

PB,

I was going to buy a Weaver for my AR after several positive recommendations from another forum. But I found a deal I couldn't resist on a Burris Tac30.

http://swfa.com/Burr...opes-C1692.aspx

I'd say that is definitely the better choice for an AR, but it's hard to beat a low-power Weaver V-series for straight-walled case lever gun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

For my money, the balance and shape of lever guns is better suited for iron sights, I think its a shame to mess with their balance by adding a scope. Further, given their effective range if I really wanted an optic because my eyes weren't good enough I'd go with light weight red dot.

That's a nice scope for the money. With the rings (sold separately) the OP hits the $200 mark.

IF you could swing a little more cashola, something like my Nikon 3-9x with 40mm objective could be yours. I'd also check the Bargain Cave at Cabela's. I've seen some nice scopes in there with the only thing missing is the box, otherwise very "minty" and very on-SALE!

The Weaver, while a nice little optic, isn't a rimfire/level gun scope, and is parallax free at 100 yards. If your shooting takes place mostly at distances of 25-50 yards, you will potentially experience some parallax error, albeit a minimal one, considering the scope's small objective and low power. Just something to keep in mind.

-

Here you go Chris...http://www.opticsplanet.net/tasco-15-45x32-worldclass.html

In your price range, appropriate power. If you want me to spec a mount and rings PM me.

If you want me to bore sight it you know where I live.

FS

Do you really need an optic? Just sayin

One certainly doesn't usually need an optic on a lever action rifle: it adds weight, it looks anachronistic; but if I absolutely wanted to scope one, it would be with the lowest profile optic I could find, something not unlike the Weaver.

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y354/Belt-Feeder/Guns%20and%20Stuff/thomaspics091.jpg

Another, (period correct :)) option is a tang peep sight.

-

One certainly doesn't usually need an optic on a lever action rifle: it adds weight, it looks anachronistic; but if I absolutely wanted to scope one, it would be with the lowest profile optic I could find, something not unlike the Weaver.

http://i1029.photobu...omaspics091.jpg

Another, (period correct :)) option is a tang peep sight.

-

I can see one for a 30-30 or for the crazy Marlin cartridges but a 357? How far can you accurately take a deer with a 357 lever gun?

Peep sights are nice, and lend themselves well to the trimness of the lever action. But, if you are going to hunt someday, I would get some type of low-power glass on there. Shooting black bulls on an open target range on a bright sunny day while you are calm, cool and collected makes for an easy day to get nice groups to build confidence. Switch to the woods, where you are presented with all types of conditions from low-light, rain, snow, and peering into a shadowy forest or laurel grove trying to pick out a shooting lane for an ethical shot on your quarry, add some adrenaline; and you might want a scope to give you the edge.

The Weaver suggestion is a nice start. I like the low-profile and straight tube. I like mounting these scopes as low to the bore as possible.

My Marlin wore a Leupold 1.5 x 5 for years. Most game I took I had the scope on the lowest setting, once at 3X and shots were usually offhand. Could I have used a peep? Probably. But I like the option I can reach out with my lever action if need be in all those conditions I mentioned. I recently swapped my Leupold over to another lever action. I want to try this combination and will then buy another scope when I can afford one. This is purely an example of my tastes. It may work for you, or you many want something different.

Hey All.

Thanks for the advice so far. Much appreciated. I will be checking into the suggestions in the next few days.

And RayRay... yup, I do.

OldSchool, thanks. Will be in touch soon.

C

Hey All.

Thanks for the advice so far. Much appreciated. I will be checking into the suggestions in the next few days.

And RayRay... yup, I do.

OldSchool, thanks. Will be in touch soon.

C

Yeah Chris, there's a chart to determine ring height so you have scope clearance and I'll get you scope mounted low. It's easy after I know what scope you choose.

As far as the deer hunting thing we'll talk about it. It could be a little tricky.

FS

Primarily the rifle will be a range gun at shorter distances but I may look to take it to 100 yards and possibly make it a deer gun.

A 38/357 lever gun is only purposed for cowboy shooting, and has no place anywhere near a deer. I am pretty sure that the caliber isn't even legal for hunting in most states.

If you must put an optic on it, make it some nice iron sights like those designed for lever guns:

http://xssights.com/index.php?nID=scopemounts&cID=Scope%20Mounts&pID=scopemounts

and just use the ghost rings.

Or, better yet, sell the 357/38 for the enormous prices those are commanding these days and buy a 30-30, 45/70 or 44 rifle for half the money you just made, and buy a great optic.

A 38/357 lever gun is only purposed for cowboy shooting, and has no place anywhere near a deer. I am pretty sure that the caliber isn't even legal for hunting in most states.

There certainly would be better choices for deer, but the .357 Mag. is perfectly legal for deer in both PA and NY, the two closest states, either in rifle or handgun format. (It's legal in all rifle states in the North East that I know of.) It should be considered adequately minimal, the rifle round getting a bit more velocity and therefore be a bit more potent but I would still keep ranges to 100 yds. max, with the handgun under 75 yds. Your hunting tactics will have to suit the round and you'll just have to pick your shots carefully. For shots in big open timber and across beanfields, you'll wish for something else, for the .357 Mag. isn't made for that. In thick woods and swamps, where shots are close, it's an adequate round with the proper bullet. Is it for the beginner? No, but for a seasoned hunter and woodsman, yes.

There is a forum on www.huntingpa.com specifically for handgun hunting. Many folks who hunt with a handgun in PA and post there use a .357 Mag. successfully and consider it more than adequate.

Again, thanks for the help. The Leupold is sweet but REALLY out of range, price wise.

C

The other scopes recommended above (I.E. Weaver) are a good alternative. I have heard good things about the new Weaver's. I still have a few old Weaver's from the 50's through the 80's as primary setups or backups. I paid $130 for that particular Leupold scope in '84 from Edelman's. I think I got my money's worth. Then again, if that's a testament, it was worth the money in the long haul.

I recently acquired a browning BLR lever action in .243cal. Any of the optics mentioned good for up to 200yrds??

The .243 is a great round. Most BLR's are pretty accurate once you find the right load for them. Any of the optic options mentioned would suffice.

I always preferred low-profile scopes on lever guns. I like the VXIII 1.5 x 5 variable that I moved to my BLR now. The 5X setting can suffice out to 200 yds. yet affords a wide field of view up close when turned down to the lower powers.