Jon

Reloading setups: Minimum equipment to buy

Due to several posts with people looking to get started, and not knowing where TO start, I thought I would put together a list of what I feel is the bare minimum for someone looking to get started with loading your own ammo. I have included both Cabela's part numbers and Midway part numbers(Cabela's part numbers are identified by "IK" preceding the number, Midway part numbers are numbers only).

-Lee Classic Turret Press Kit (IK-216337)

-Cabela's Electronic Caliper (IK-214967)

-Cabela's Vibratory Case Tumbler Kit (IK-212869)

-Cabela's Rotary Media Separator (IK-214213)

-Cabela's Bullet Puller (IK-214931)

-Frankford Arsenal DS-750 digital scale (175512)

Pistol Specific

-Lee Deluxe Carbide Pistol 4-die set (IK-214611)

Rifle Specific

-Lee Pacesetter Rifle Die Set (IK-210542)

-Lee Auto-Disk Powder Measure Double Disk Kit (870920)

-Case trimmer

-Primer pocket reamer

-Primer pocket cleaner

-Case mouth chamferring tool

Nice job Jon, must of been a slow night at work.. :icon_mrgreen:

I'd just recommend a dial Vernier Caliper over a digital one, but I did grow up with my father owning a machine shop so I was never allowed to touch a digital one. lol

Oh, and if I ever touched an adjustable wrench, I would be seeing stars and hearing tweety birds as I got up off the ground. lol

Hey Jon.

Just a question. Would you recommend the Lee turret "Kit" or just the turret press? It seems that there is a bunch of overlap between the kit and your recommendations.

C

The primer pocket cleaner and case mouth chamfering tool are not rifle only. Primer pockets should be just as clean with pistol ammo.

Here's a link to the best chamfer tool I've used. There's a bunch of different styles but this 1 just works. Mine is 22 years old and works as the day I bought it.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=424775&pdesc=RCBS_Chamfer_Deburring_Tool_17_45_Caliber&r=view

At the link it's sold out but it's the picture I want to share anyway.

A primer pocket cleaner is just a small metal brush that fits in the primer pocket. There are 2 different sizes for large and small primer pockets.

I'm not up on that digital scale. I'm not sure I trust a digital scale without a mechanical 1 to confirm it with.

I do have a digital, it's rcbs and probably been around for 18 years. It's rock solid and works but I do check it from time to time with the mechanical.

Just remember a wrong powder charge and things get ugly fast.

Jer

Dont forget at least one good reloading book or manual.

I find this to be less of a necessity, as most powders post their load data online, but it's not a bad idea.

I'd just recommend a dial Vernier Caliper over a digital one, but I did grow up with my father owning a machine shop so I was never allowed to touch a digital one. lol

I actually use an older dial caliper, but it certainly is nice to see a number rather than count lines.

Hey Jon.

Just a question. Would you recommend the Lee turret "Kit" or just the turret press? It seems that there is a bunch of overlap between the kit and your recommendations.

C

Absolutely recommend the kit. The kit gives you the Large and Small Safety Prime primer feeders, Pro Auto-disk powder measure, rifle charging die, and auto-disk riser. Also, you get a perfectly suitable mechanical scale which I use to verify the accuracy of my digital scale.

The primer pocket cleaner and case mouth chamfering tool are not rifle only. Primer pockets should be just as clean with pistol ammo.

Here's a link to the best chamfer tool I've used. There's a bunch of different styles but this 1 just works. Mine is 22 years old and works as the day I bought it.

http://www.gandermou..._Caliber&r=view

At the link it's sold out but it's the picture I want to share anyway.

A primer pocket cleaner is just a small metal brush that fits in the primer pocket. There are 2 different sizes for large and small primer pockets.

I'm not up on that digital scale. I'm not sure I trust a digital scale without a mechanical 1 to confirm it with.

I do have a digital, it's rcbs and probably been around for 18 years. It's rock solid and works but I do check it from time to time with the mechanical.

Just remember a wrong powder charge and things get ugly fast.

Jer

Like I mentioned above, I like the Lee kit since you get the mechanical scale with which you can use to verify the accuracy of your digital scale. The Frankford Arsenal scale also comes with a weight that you can use to verify accuracy, as well. I have never cleaned pistol primer pockets, and while I'm sure it makes the rounds more accurate, I don't shoot bullseye, and "combat accuracy" is sufficient for me.

Well im glad I cruised through here today. I just ordered a Lee 4 hole Turret Press with auto index value kit. Now I saw both the carbide 4 die sets and 3 die sets.

Do you need to crimp after loading pistol loads? With $$$ being tight could I get 3 die sets and load without crimping? Or do the 3 die sets crimp and I'm missing something. Is the bullet remover/puller necassary immediately or could it wait till a later date? Im just trying to squeeze my budget to the bare minimum without having my wife go nutso :)

Well im glad I cruised through here today. I just ordered a Lee 4 hole Turret Press with auto index value kit. Now I saw both the carbide 4 die sets and 3 die sets.

Do you need to crimp after loading pistol loads? With $$$ being tight could I get 3 die sets and load without crimping? Or do the 3 die sets crimp and I'm missing something. Is the bullet remover/puller necassary immediately or could it wait till a later date? Im just trying to squeeze my budget to the bare minimum without having my wife go nutso :)

I like the factory crimp die for pistol rounds as it allows me to use crappier brass that others would toss, and eliminates the need to check every loaded round for it's ability to chamber in my gun. Also, as for the bullet puller, you WILL screw rounds up, and will have to pull the bullets in order to reuse the components. This is not necessary if you're JUST starting(you can stash the screwed up rounds in a bin somewhere until you get a puller) but it is something you will need to buy eventually.

I like the factory crimp die for pistol rounds as it allows me to use crappier brass that others would toss, and eliminates the need to check every loaded round for it's ability to chamber in my gun. Also, as for the bullet puller, you WILL screw rounds up, and will have to pull the bullets in order to reuse the components. This is not necessary if you're JUST starting(you can stash the screwed up rounds in a bin somewhere until you get a puller) but it is something you will need to buy eventually.

Thanx for the info I appreciate it, Im going to try to go without crimping and see what happens, 2 rounds I will be reloading is for a revolver hopefully they will pass muster.

No need to go without crimping -- The crimp die is built into the bullet seating die. It's just takes a little adjusting to get a crimp.

If your going to bell the ends to get a bullet started you really should crimp that bell back down. Your bell depends on the bullets used -- lead or jacketed.

Lead bullets will need a bell to prevent "peeling" of the lead when seating the bullet. Jacketed bullets may be able to get away without the bell.

You could also use a Lyman "M" die. It expands the case neck with a more squared expansion die. No bell. This would cause you to buy another die though.

Jer

+1 on the factory crimp die. Get the Lee 4 die set. You don't necessarily need to crimp pistol ammo, but you need to remove the bell from the case mouth. The factory crimp die also does a final full length size to the round. It's well worth the price difference between the 3 and 4 die set.

If you're shooting alot, an affordable alternative is purchasing from a quality commercial reloader.  When I started shooting boatloads, I went with a few commercial reloaders, cause after doing the math, it wasn't worth my time to reload.

Only reason I got into reloading was for black powder cartridge/shotshells, and odd calibers with odd sizes.

Reloading can be a pain in the a$$.......looking back, I should have followed the rule of 'buy once, cry once'.

Due to several posts with people looking to get started, and not knowing where TO start, I thought I would put together a list of what I feel is the bare minimum for someone looking to get started with loading your own ammo. I have included both Cabela's part numbers and Midway part numbers(Cabela's part numbers are identified by "IK" preceding the number, Midway part numbers are numbers only).

-Lee Classic Turret Press Kit (IK-216337) A newbe may be best served with a single stage press

-Cabela's Electronic Caliper (IK-214967) Dial caliper cheaper and no batteries or light required

-Cabela's Vibratory Case Tumbler Kit (IK-212869) Get any tumbler, this one may be OK

-Cabela's Rotary Media Separator (IK-214213) Huge BS get a plastic coffee can and put 3/8" holes in the botton

-Cabela's Bullet Puller (IK-214931) expect alot of mistakes?

-Frankford Arsenal DS-750 digital scale (175512) Another big BS.... get a beam scale

Pistol Specific

-Lee Deluxe Carbide Pistol 4-die set (IK-214611) Any set of carbides is a good investment

Rifle Specific

-Lee Pacesetter Rifle Die Set (IK-210542) OK but I like RCBS

-Lee Auto-Disk Powder Measure Double Disk Kit (870920) Don't like the disc system but haven't used one either

-Case trimmer For sure and a case guage like a Wison so you know what to set your resizing die at and the length to trim to

-Primer pocket reamer maybe maybe not...

-Primer pocket cleaner  maybe maybe not

-Case mouth chamferring tool..RCBS not the shit Lee

Jon we really disagree on some stuff.

And just so ya know I'm not blowing smoke...Shot this at 300yds today and the dot is 1"

post-1785-0-75430400-1369101015_thumb.jpg