tony357

38 ft fishing southern comfort vessel runs aground and sinks..

BARNEGAT LIGHT, N.J. — The Southern Comfort, a 38-foot fishing vessel, sinks after running aground on rocks while transiting the Barnegat Light’s north jetty here, May 31, 2012. The six people who were aboard abandoned the boat and waited on a life raft for Coast Guard Station Barnegat Light crewmembers to rescue them. U.S. Coast Guard photo.

270843_448973681779650_182690570_n.jpg

Now what happens? Does the owner or insurance company(do you insure boats?idk) go there and dig it out of the water or it stays sunken?

Ouch.....in heavy weather, and high tides, those jettys are under water..it's REALLY easy to get into major trouble there if you aren't careful...Although a boat like that SHOULD have had a good enough electronics suite to keep them out of those spots...

Ouch.....in heavy weather, and high tides, those jettys are under water..it's REALLY easy to get into major trouble there if you aren't careful...Although a boat like that SHOULD have had a good enough electronics suite to keep them out of those spots...

BARNEGAT inlet sux both inside and outside. Inside follow the snake of a channel to get out from the bay and outside mind the range bouys.It's the only way to transverse it safely.

I've sat on a bar on the inside at 2am until the turn of the tide because I was a wise a**. Now I never take any chances.

Outside find those range bouys and believe them.

Yes the jetties are a few feet under water at high tide,

BARNEGAT is the worst inlet on the east coast, Manasquan is second.

I have been coming in and out of Manasquan and Barnegat since ~1980. I do prefer Manasquan but you have to respect them both. Took the boss' boat out there just last week for a little shake down cruise. Gotta love it when an IT guys gets paid to go boating! thumb.gif

As for that boat, it will be salvaged, they can not just leave it there. The problem is if it sits for more than a couple of tides, the rocks will rip it to shreds. By the time the tow boats and EPA get done with it, it is going to be one expensive mishap!

I believe that pic there is after it floated off the jetty some, however the bottom is torn to shreds.

It should also be said that the captain briefed his crew and passengers as to where the safety equipment was, and what to do in an emergency, something EVERYONE that owns a boat should do anytime they take people out on the water. Shit happens fast on the water! In speaking to people that know this guy for years, he is a top notch captain and a great fisherman. It doesn't take much to end up in a bad spot near that inlet.

Electronics aside, if you've never been on the water in dense fog, its scary and very easy to get disoriented

Heres some more info on the story if anyone cares

http://brick.patch.com/articles/six-rescued-after-boat-sinks-in-barnegat-inlet#photo-10130955

I believe that pic there is after it floated off the jetty some, however the bottom is torn to shreds.

It should also be said that the captain briefed his crew and passengers as to where the safety equipment was, and what to do in an emergency, something EVERYONE that owns a boat should do anytime they take people out on the water. Shit happens fast on the water! In speaking to people that know this guy for years, he is a top notch captain and a great fisherman. It doesn't take much to end up in a bad spot near that inlet.

Electronics aside, if you've never been on the water in dense fog, its scary and very easy to get disoriented

Heres some more info on the story if anyone cares

http://brick.patch.c...#photo-10130955

I laid at the dock yesterday morning (5/31) and until about 9am the fog was thick.

GPS and radar should have prevented this.