tblant

Pac Man fight

The troops are starting to roll in. Plenty of food and plenty of San Miguel. We are all going to the Filipino Day in Passaic tomorrow...it won't be as much fun if Pacquiao loses.

Also coincides with the grand opening of Jollibee in JC. Chicken joy anyone?

so disappointing. everyone saw the score cards and even the announcers were in shock.

Bradley couldn't even seem to justify his win and says he'll have to go back to the tapes to see if he really won! complete garbage!

WBO review panel judges saying that PacMan should have won the fight ;)

http://www.nj.com/sp..._a_rematch.html

Pacquiao said today he would prefer a rematch rather than Bradley giving up the WBO welterweight title that he won on a split decision because "people may think I just usurped it."

WBO review panel judges saying that PacMan should have won the fight ;)

http://www.nj.com/sp..._a_rematch.html

Pacquiao said today he would prefer a rematch rather than Bradley giving up the WBO welterweight title that he won on a split decision because "people may think I just usurped it."

The real reason, if they decide to give manny the belt back, the results NO rematch, NO PPV money, NO fight purse, NO money for Vegas.... ONE REASON this crap happens MONEY=GREED.

Boxing is on life-support because of several things completely unrelated to MMA:

1. They have w-a-a-a-y too many champions/divisions, confusing even the diehard boxing fan.

2. Two of the "best-known" heavyweight champions are brothers, who have sworn they'd never fight each other (not that I'd want to see THAT, as Vitali K. would knockout Wlad K. before the clang of the opening bell faded). They also seem to have a penchant for fighting guys that are not natural heavyweights, or who present about as much potential for useful violence as a Quaker would.

3. Promoters and managers no longer are interested in making meaningful matches, preferring to guard their fighters' undefeated records. The only mega-fight out there is Pac vs. Mayweather, and I have real doubts it can be made before Manny turns 40 or PBF finally gets sentenced to some real prison time.

4. The sanctioning bodies that produce the many bogus titles out there, and who foist unscrupulous judges and incompetent referees on the fighters and the public, all the while demanding upwards of $250k per fight for the "honor" of fighting for their Cracker Jack box-prize title.

Boxing needs a HUGE, marquee fighter in the heavyweight division. It's been this way going back to when the great Dempsey was defeated and the public had to suffer through a succession of heavyweights they didn't embrace. The big men have always been the tail that wags the dog in boxing, with the popularity of the sport rising parallel to the mystique/talent/personality of the HW champ, i.e., Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, Ali, Tyson.

The only good thing I can say about the current economic climate is that it is turning more and more young athletes towards their local boxing gyms again. I don't even mind that most of them (and I routinely visit six or seven in a close radius to my home) now offer MMA training as well, as a lot of these guys realize that there is far more opportunity in a boxing ring than an MMA cage: a truly-talented fighter with good amateur credentials will get scapped up in a furious bidding war between the likes of a promotional management company such as Top Rank, Golden Boy or Main Events. In MMA there aren't too many major players besides Zuffa and Strikeforce, and the signing money and subsequent purses that they can offer to up and coming guys are NOT on a par with boxing.

I enjoy MMA, but am not a zealot about it. I do not believe it will replace boxing as the number-one ring sport, although I acknowledge that the coveted demographic of 18-45 years of age is consistently shown to be right in MMA's wheelhouse during their PPV events. I have been a part of the sport of boxing since I was 13; have worked in the industry and still believe in the enduring appeal of The Sweet Science.