9supratt4

License for an M1 Carbine??

I have been scanning through the never ending info on the sticky....but I either skipped over it/haven't found it or it's not there. I'm going to go with I skipped over it as there's no way I can possibly read all of that word for word lol.

If someone has possession of an M1 Carbine who received it as inheritance from their father as it was his rifle in WWII...is there a way to get a license or permit to own it legally in NJ?

I have been scanning through the never ending info on the sticky....but I either skipped over it/haven't found it or it's not there. I'm going to go with I skipped over it as there's no way I can possibly read all of that word for word lol.

If someone has possession of an M1 Carbine who received it as inheritance from their father as it was his rifle in WWII...is there a way to get a license or permit to own it legally in NJ?

Technically yes, you can get an Assault Firearm license. In reality, no, you will not get one, ever.

The permit process for an AW in NJ is the same as a machine gun so we all know how that's going to go.

If the carbine isn't one of the 300 or so AW that were registered when the ban was instituted it is already contraband.

If it was registered the executor of this estate has 90 days (I believe that's the time period) to dispose of the rifle out of state.

That's it.

personally me if i inherited a rifle like that id just hide it. it has sentamental value so selling it isnt an option. just never shoot it in nj. never post pics. hell forget you even had this topic.id would be ashame to pass on the rifle then the laws get changed. hell even having an out of state relitive hold it is an option.

Good ole "insta-felon" M1 Carbine. As others said, the only option is to not posses one within NJ, unless it was previously registered or officially rendered inoperable and the forms filled out during the ban amnesty period.

If a person does have one, just understand this is a 2nd degree felony in NJ. This is serious life-changing shiznit here. I also believe there are mandatory sentences involved now. IMO, not something to fool with by keeping hidden in a basement.

NJ sucks!! If it can be proven that it is an heirloom, it should be deemed so.

What is the reason for the ban?? Is it just because they are high powered?

They are hardly "high powered". The answer to your question is: Politics

Bob is right! It was just rammed-in "Feel-Good" legislation and a real shame too. During my 44 years as a shooter (since I was only 8) I've fired several and they're really a fun gun, especially for kids with shorter arms wanting to shoot a .30 caliber rifle.

I've never owned one, but have shot several. PA is a free State!

Technically yes, you can get an Assault Firearm license. In reality, no, you will not get one, ever.

No, you can't the only licenses issued were during the initial amnesty period when the law was passed in 1992..once that period was closed, no more License applications were accepted or granted. the ONLY Exception was for LE with a signed letter from their chief asserting that it was to be used for duty purposes, and had to be surrendered to the agency upon separation.

This is pretty much it..although the Scumbags in Trenton will never EVER admit it.....

malcomx_carbine.jpg

I did a bit of reaearch and in the gun was registered operable you can keep it if it is made inoperable according to NJAC 13:54-5.3. Otherwise you have 90 days to dispose of it and turn it in. i guess if its already inoperable you need to transfer the registration to the heir.

I found conflicting data regarding how many were registered. One source says 355 as operable, another says 985 operable and 905 inoperable. None were registered in Union County. 4 were turned in to NJSP. This is out of the 100-300,000 estimated SA weapons in nj at the time (1990).

No, you can't the only licenses issued were during the initial amnesty period when the law was passed in 1992..once that period was closed, no more License applications were accepted or granted. the ONLY Exception was for LE with a signed letter from their chief asserting that it was to be used for duty purposes, and had to be surrendered to the agency upon separation.

Well no...and yes KpdPipes. The application procedure is outlined in NJAC 13;54-5.2 and anyone can apply. However, the applicant needs to supply information sufficient for "issuance requires the court find public safety and welfare so required". I can't see anyone meeting this criteria unless they are a lEO with a letter from the chief.

The real reason for the ban was "at the time" they were very cheap as the military had warehouses of them they were getting rid of, and the ammo was super cheap as well as the again "the military had a huge surplus". The military doesn't use the round the Carbine used anymore, so they literally had millions of rounds they were selling off super cheap.

The pinheads in NJ thought the "criminals" were going to snatch these all up with the cheap ammo and start world war 3.

I did a bit of reaearch and in the gun was registered operable you can keep it if it is made inoperable according to NJAC 13:54-5.3. Otherwise you have 90 days to dispose of it and turn it in. i guess if its already inoperable you need to transfer the registration to the heir.

I found conflicting data regarding how many were registered. One source says 355 as operable, another says 985 operable and 905 inoperable. None were registered in Union County. 4 were turned in to NJSP. This is out of the 100-300,000 estimated SA weapons in nj at the time (1990).

Well no...and yes KpdPipes. The applicationprocedure is outlined in NJAC 13;54-5.2 and anyone can apply. However, the applicant needs to supply information sufficient for "issuance requires the court find public safety and welfare so required". I can't see anyone meeting this criteria unless they are a lEO with a letter from the chief.

Most everyone just sold their stuff out of state..we all assumed that within a year or two after registration that they would revoke the permits and go for confiscation. As for registering, yes the statute still has the provisions....but the actual forms to do so no longer exist..there MAY be a couple of copies out there in some file drawer, but NJSP requested them all back years ago.

Criminals prefer firearms that are relatively compact, lightweight, inexpensive, and pack a decent punch? No way!

Banning guns "because they were popular with criminals" is stupid.

Unfortunately, I don't make the rules and NJ decided to ban guns exactly for that reason.