when_shtf

Airsoft is hard on the wallet

My son has been into airsoft battling for about two years. He and about 6 to 8 of his friends get together almost every weekend to battle. They have a great time. I've been buying my sons rifles at Dicks and I don't think I've ever spent more then $40 for a rifle. Over the last six months his friends have been getting better and better weapons. He's been asking for a new rifle for some time so I asked the other parents where they have been getting their guns. Without exception, they all said Godfathers in Greenbrook. That's a 45 minute ride :(

So yesterday my son approached me with $100 he got from his 6th grade "graduation" and asked if we could go to Dicks so he could get a new airsoft gun. I suggested we take the ride to Godfather...and he wasn't all that interested and said, "Dicks is OK". But I said lets go look, we can always go to Dicks if you don't see anything you like.

We arrived at Godfather and within seconds my son realized the store was worth the trip. I asked the salesperson (teenager) if he could show us a few rifles in the $100 range. Not really looking at us he said "no, we don't carry anything below $200". I said "that's not true. I checked your website before driving here and saw a lot of sub-$100 rifles". The sales kid says "yeah, that's just online". So I have to go home and order? Looking at the wall, I saw plenty of rifles below $200 in the $150 range. We'd point to a gun and say "what about that one?". We heard "out of stock" at least a dozen times. We walked to the back of the store where there were many guns that were in stock for less then $200, some less then $100. They were sniper (bolt action) rifles, but the quality of these rifles was so superior to the junk we have been buying Dicks that my son was willing to give-up semi-auto operation to to have a quality rifle.

I was fairly annoyed at this point. How can a store have so many guns on display that can't be purchased? Moreover, why tell me there aren't any rifles below $200 when there clearly are? In my most annoyed tone, I finally said in a stern Dad-voice "go get me an M4/AR for less then $200 that you HAVE IN STOCK." He came back with 2. One weighed about 15-18 pounds and it was given right back to the salesperson. The other, marketed as a Stag Arms AR15, was a spot-on copy of an AR. The weight was about right and the stock on this rifle is BETTER then the one on my Stag Model 3. The heavy rifle was $167, the good one was $175. I got an extra battery pack, a red dot and several thousand BB, and I was out the door for $240.

I'm glad that my son got a quality rifle. Using my iPhone I price-checked the rifle before purchasing and was comfortable that $175 is the going rate. But I was annoyed. The saleskid wasn't really interested in showing us what we wanted, even though he had what we wanted. There were many rifles in that store between $250 and $400, and I'm sure many above $400. But I walked in and gave my price point and the sales kid was disinterested.

I have to tell you, if you're into airsoft, Godfather is a cool store. They have about any weapon you can think of and all sorts of accessories. But I think it would be helpful to do all of your homework before hand. Don't rely on their sales people.

By the way, I did a side-by-side comparison with his Stag airsoft and my Stag Model 3...and it really is a spot-on copy. And it really is a high quality rifle. He really seems to like it. So now my son has an airsoft rifle that cost about twice as much as his Marlin. Go figure.

Well coming from an active member of the New Jersey airsoft community. Godfather's is the worst store you could possibly go too. Granted it might be ideal due to its location but the owner has a horrible reputation in the airsoft community. Threads pop up about how horrible the store is on weekly basis, to the point where they get locked almost immediately.

You can usually find a good deal on a used and upgraded airsoft gun on there for around that price, especially in this current market.

the link to the website is www.airsoftnj.com

I live 3 minutes from Godfather -- Been there a dozen times -- Lots of "not in stock" on the wall but we go there to get "hands on" a certain piece before buying elsewhere.

I have had a good experience with their airsoft tech though -- His name is Vince -- Very friendly and was able to get me through an M4 rebuild without me even buying anything from him -- He even gave me deans connectors out of his personal box O stuff said he doesn't use them.

The owner just never rubbed me right - I've met him a few times

The places he has for gameplay are, to me, way overpriced. I'm sure he's got a huge insurance bill but it still is a good chunk of cash to shoot plastic BB's at each other for a couple hours.

Jer

Any true airsofter in NJ avoids Godfather like the PLAGUE. They have horrible safety policies (kids running around discharging guns in safe areas, stealing other people's gear, etc)... I'm glad you found something good. If you had asked some of us here, we could have pointed you in the right direction to an online store that has what you need...

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=27754

You ain't kidding it's expensive..........

pile.jpg

Now, if I could only get real versions of half of those in this state....

Also, in the future...for airsoft stuff, check into www.airsoftnj.com - sanctioned games are where all the cool kids play...;)

NEVER go to Godfather's airsoft. They are awful, have bad customer service, are overpriced, and honestly, I've just never heard a good thing about them.

You'd do much better to shop online. There are no issues ordering airsoft guns online, and having them shipped to your door. I must also recommend "Oldman's Workshop" I don't remember where he's running his shop out of these days, but he's really good, otherwise checkout the airsoft forums (www.airsoftnj.com).

I could make some recommendations of good guns that are a decent price range and all that, and as another member said, sanctioned games are where the cool kids play haha.

If you want semi-local then give http://www.shortyusa.com/ a shot. They're in Bear, DE (probably a hellacious trip for you, but online ordering isn't bad through them). They have OK prices (not the best, but hey I can't complain when I can drive 20 minutes to buy it), and a decent selection.

For anything more serious check out:

http://evike.com

http://airsoftgi.com

http://airsoftatlanta.com

http://weaponblender.com

http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/Default.asp

These are the websites I drool over when I look around. Generally you can find just about anything under 200 there. Like AirsoftGI I got my 'sniper' rifle and scope for under $150. Not the best airsoft gun I've ever purchased, but it gets the job done.

noone mentioned http://uncompany.com/ ? their selection and quality is superior to anything else i came across, but then I never made a sport of it, maybe people who are more into it know more than me. from UN Company I got a full metal gas powered m92 for $75. real sexy, the gas made it real fun to shoot. perfect realistic field stripping which ive done at least a million times by now. and they do usually come with an orange tip, but again as i never made a sport of it it was strictly a toy in my room i took a cotton ball and some rubbing alcohol and removed it. Kept me happy til i was old enough to get a real gun, and through the horrible wait for the FID as well. had this target hanging up and when i dumped the bb's out of the trap in the back half of them were blown in half or shattered.

2006_11130004b.jpg

You ain't kidding it's expensive.......... pile.jpg Now, if I could only get real versions of half of those in this state....

ZOMG! He has an arsenal!!111!!!! Call the police! SWAT! The National Guard!!! He's a GUN NUT!!! He only has those because he's planning to kill orphans, nuns, and school children!!!

{whispering}

Wait, you mean they are toys? And they are LEGAL???!!!?? ZOMG!!! We have to close the toy store loophole!! BAN THEM!!!!!!!11!!!!!

:mosking:

ZOMG! He has an arsenal!!111!!!! Call the police! SWAT! The National Guard!!! He's a GUN NUT!!! He only has those because he's planning to kill orphans, nuns, and school children!!!

{whispering}

Wait, you mean they are toys? And they are LEGAL???!!!?? ZOMG!!! We have to close the toy store loophole!! BAN THEM!!!!!!!11!!!!!

:mosking:

I don't know if I should laugh, because this is hilarious, or cry because its so realistic.

Thanks for the great replys, and the PM's regarding private sales. It never occurred to me to check with the NJ Gun Forum experts on this subject...a big mistake on my part. The next time my boy is looking for a new gun, I'll be sure to put a feeler in this thread first.

As I type this, my son is out in our back field and woods having a war with his friends in near 100 degree heat; in long pants, long shirts and assorted safety gear. They are truly committed to this hobby.

Airsoft did originate in Japan, where citizens are not allowed to own real firearms (afaik). People wanted something as realistic as possible and airsoft was born...for years, I wanted guns, but did not have a FID and so I got involved with airsoft. Went from cheap plastic springers to guns worth as much as their real equivilents...

Airsoftnj.com is the main forum for airsoft in this state, where you can find info on guns, accessories, upcoming games, and all that other forum-y goodness...as well as buy and sell airsoft guns and parts. Safety is an important part of airsoft, so we always stress safe handling and operation of airsoft guns at all times. Last thing anyone wants is kids playing at a local park and the cops coming out...it won't end well and that is exactly what everyone on the forums tries to ensure never happens...

How is it played? I can understand laser tag and paintball but how does one prove they shot ya?

Similar to both, but based on the honor system. Cheaters are rooted out fast and either change their ways or are not welcomed back......though that is rare.

Hit calling issues happen, but most people realize plastic BBs hitting gear after going through branches or leaves may not be felt...and you just keep shooting til it IS called...

NEVER go to Godfather's airsoft. They are awful, have bad customer service, are overpriced, and honestly, I've just never heard a good thing about them.

You'd do much better to shop online. There are no issues ordering airsoft guns online, and having them shipped to your door. I must also recommend "Oldman's Workshop" I don't remember where he's running his shop out of these days, but he's really good, otherwise checkout the airsoft forums (www.airsoftnj.com).

I could make some recommendations of good guns that are a decent price range and all that, and as another member said, sanctioned games are where the cool kids play haha.

I agree. They ROYALLY screwed my paintball gun that I gave them to do an upgrade. I spent doubled the amount of money just to have someone fix what they screwed up after they had it for 2 weeks!!

I would never give them a second thought.

I had a bad experience their too. So I'm gonna share it. Only the owner knows about this and their so called HEAD tech.

I brought a month old m4 airsoft rifle over there for an upgraded tightbore barrel and paid over $80plus for the upgrade and when I came home shot it for a couple days it didn't shoot any better or even worst than the original barrel. So I took the take down pins just like a real AR then pulled out the barrel, it was about 6-7 inches shorter than the original, for airsoft the longer and tighter the barrel is, the straighter tighter grouping that your shots are going to be. So the next day I took it back and asked why the HELL is my barrel shorter than what I had originally or what I wanted, the Head tech(which I gave a $10 tip for switching a barrel) tried to fix the situation by himself before the OWNER caught on, then tried to ask me to pay for the new barrel. I said hell no a little louder than I thought so the owner heard it, he came over and fixed the problem and made the head tech pay for the barrel(so he says) for tryin to cover it up and gave him a little scolding in front of all the customer around US.

That was the last time I ever went there. I order everything from airsplat, evike, airsoftgi or even redwolf.

Not all of it though. Friend picked up a spring 1911, thats like zinc plated. Good heft, accurate, sturdy. Not bad for 20 dollars.

We should do an Airsoft picture thread. See what everybody else has.

Pretty much any springer is crap except for bolt action sniper rifles and shotguns.

My old arsenal:

arsenal032909.jpg

Sold off some of those. I also have a Grenade Revolver Launcher (Think Milkor MGL - looks like that), and a PSG-1.