Sign in to follow this  
Mr.G

USPSA 1911 .45 Limited Mags?

New to 1911 platform and I'm very excited to pickup my Kimber TLE II/RL very-very soon. What mags are you using for Limited matches or does mostly here in NJ shoot either Limited-10 or Open? I think using 8-round mags would be a disadvantage unless you are shooting IDPA CDP. I see plenty of 10-round .45 mags but not much anything more than that.

Never mind - I found out Single-stack division. Which the stock Kimber TLE II/RL would be better suited for. Only mod I'll make is fiber optic sight, and maybe none-wieighted mag well.

Mod, thread can be deleted to eliminate clutter :-)

I have the exact same gun and I use it for Limited 10/Major. I use Chip McCormick Power 10 Mags.

They've worked excellent for me. I also have the 8 rounders which I intend to use when I eventually

shoot in single stack division. I have a fiber optic front but have not yet installed it.

The 1911 is a pretty versatile gun since it is good for those two divisions and I've found it to be a

great steel gun as well. Though it's better to use very light loads for that.

I think single stack would better b/c you would be competing with almost everyone using .45 1911 platform and race holsters are not allowed. Whereas Limited-10 race holsters are allowed (if you're not you're screwed), more modifications on the gun allowed and you'll be competing with different calibers (mostly super 38) so a stock 1911 would be at disadvantage. No?

A lot of shooters use the 1911 in limited-10. You can use whatever kind of holster you want and place the mag pouches on your belt anywhere. 40S&W is the minimum caliber to make major.

Singlestack with major PF ammo (40 or 45) use 8 round mag. Minor PF you can use 10 round mags. Holster and mag pouches are restricted in style and placement on body. Modifications to gun are allowed but it must be a bushing barrel gun. The rule book or the USPSA site can give you more info.

Zoid, what FO sight did you get? Does it retain the height to match the rear sight?

I have the exact same gun and I use it for Limited 10/Major. I use Chip McCormick Power 10 Mags.

They've worked excellent for me. I also have the 8 rounders which I intend to use when I eventually

shoot in single stack division. I have a fiber optic front but have not yet installed it.

The 1911 is a pretty versatile gun since it is good for those two divisions and I've found it to be a

great steel gun as well. Though it's better to use very light loads for that.

Final question - can I use 10-round magazines downloaded to 8 on single-stack division? That way I can share magazines in both divisions instead excessively buying different ones.

No. Single stack has to fit in the box - which it won't with 10-rd mags

I think single stack would better b/c you would be competing with almost everyone using .45 1911 platform and race holsters are not allowed. Whereas Limited-10 race holsters are allowed (if you're not you're screwed), more modifications on the gun allowed and you'll be competing with different calibers (mostly super 38) so a stock 1911 would be at disadvantage. No?

I don't think a race holster will give you that much of an advantage.

I don't think a race holster will give you that much of an advantage.

I'm a class in l-10 I use a blade tech kydex dropped and offset holster for my 2011. I had a cr speed race holster for my single stack. I could get about a 0.1 second faster draw with the cr speed, but I get a better grip more consistently with the kydex holster.

Since a race holster is recommended for limited-10, which one is decent and inexpensive?

A race holster is not recommended. I suggest a blade tech holster, with DOH attachment for USPSA L-10 and get a belt loop attachment for singlestack and IDPA.

Zoid, what FO sight did you get? Does it retain the height to match the rear sight?

I got a Novak FO and I believe its the same height as my stock night sights. I'm

really not sure that was the best choice though. I think adjustable rear with a taller

sight is the better option. Still deciding on if I should return it.

No. Single stack has to fit in the box - which it won't with 10-rd mags

I learned that the hard way at the IDPA match. The RO pointed to my protruding 10 round .45 single stack mag with its aesthetically pleasing rubber boot on my 1911 and said " what is that??" . I thought it was a safety/knowledge orientated pop quiz and promptly and smartly answered " it is a magazine". You kind of had to be there....