zoid

Is Using a 1911 for Limited 10 a Disadvantage?

I am currently using a stock 1911 with a non-race holster for Limited 10.

Do you think this is a disadvantage since in Limited 10 you can use

race guns, race holsters, etc.? I only use it because I wanted to use

my 1911 for competition and I wasn't used to an 8 round count for

Single Stack. I'm used to being able to have 10+1. I'm still a pretty

new competitive shooter so maybe it doesn't make that much of a

difference.

Since you live in Old Bridge, the best advice I can give is to show-up at our Club's Indoor Action League for some USPSA indoor Stages. For only $20.00 (non-member rate) plus the cost of ammo, you get to have some real fun and see what others at your skill level are doing. You'll also find several USPSA Divisions represented along with some "eager to help newbie" Masters that will tell you NOT to buy anything just yet, but instead to invest the extra coin in more ammo, and THEN see what it is you really want accessory-wise. It's the smart play, since we all have a closet-full of stuff that we all thought we needed, UNTIL we figured-out otherwise, lol!

I started-out in USPSA with L-10 since I own three .45 autos. L-10 allows you to "stoke the pipe", so you have 11 rounds in the gun, engage up to 5 targets (paper) and then do a reload. With 16 and 18 round COF's, you're gonna hafta reload some time, and must learn to do so during transition of separate target arrays. Not having a "racegun or a racegun holster" isn't really a disadvantage since you're just starting-out. That extra 1/4 second isn't gonna make you a Master. Developing the necessary muscle memory from pumping thousands of rounds down-range is what will do it....

Others who are a higher Class shooter than I will no doubt have more/better to add, but I think I basically answered your question........

Dave

I am currently using a stock 1911 with a non-race holster for Limited 10.

Do you think this is a disadvantage since in Limited 10 you can use

race guns, race holsters, etc.? I only use it because I wanted to use

my 1911 for competition and I wasn't used to an 8 round count for

Single Stack. I'm used to being able to have 10+1. I'm still a pretty

new competitive shooter so maybe it doesn't make that much of a

difference.

No

I kind of have to disagree with 2Alpha. Only kind of though, depending on what question he is answering.

I shot l-10 using a single stack for several years out of a race holster. I now shoot l-10 with a 2011 wide body out of a kydex holster. Can you be competitive with a 1911 in a kydex holster? DEFINITELY. Are you making life harder for yourself? Yes. Are you limiting your performance? Potentially.

I'm a better shooter now than I was when I was shooting the single stack, but the one thing I actually got GOOD at were doing reloads with the skinny mags fast. I was easily as fast with them then as I am with the fat mags now. The main thing was to have that speed and consistency with the single stack mags I had to practice my reloads all the time. I had WAY more time to practice then, and reload practice plus everything else I needed to practice exceeded my time budget for practicing. Sure, it made reloading anything NOT single stack seem like a cakewalk, but the reality was that to move up in class, given my time constraints, I NEEDED to practice other things. Moving to double stack platforms in production and l-10 let me practice other things more, and I got better overall.

As far as the race holster, I had been using it while doing some well logged practicing for improvement, so I had drills and performance logs for them from my peak perfomance with them. Moving to a dropped and offset kydex holster in l-10 with literally about an hour of dry fire in the draw and fire drills I had logged to get used to the drills again, I gave up on the average roughly 0.2 seconds on the draw. What I got for that 0.2 seconds was a WAY lower screw up factor and much more consistency establishing a good grip on the draw. Also when I did land a bad grip, bad was MUCH less bad than with the race holster. I might migrate back to race holsters if I manage to get to the point that 0.2 seconds on the draw sounds like low hanging fruit, but it's not looking like a likely scenario trying to go form A to M. Maybe M to GM, but I don't think I have the kind of time it takes to shoot for GM. Heck, my time and money budgets may not let me leave A.

If you are a D or low C shooter, then there's so much you need to practice, you can get a really good start with the gear you have that there's no good reason to spend the money on anything but ammo. If you hit the great sucking void of B doing it, that skinny mag reload practice can be MUCH better spent elsewhere.

SO hopefully a little bit more useful than "no".

Thanks for the responses. I am a 'D' (or was cause I forgot to renew my USPSA membership in the time frame given) shooter in Limited

10 and a 'C' in Production. Funny you mention reloads. When I switched back to a Glock 34 I thought reloads would be way easier since

I had practiced with a single stack so much. I actually botched my double stack reloads more. I guess I just got used to the skinny magwell.

I kinda figured it would not make a huge difference given my skill level. I guess my main concern was the gun itself. Are 1911s used in L10

a lot? Or is it more dominated by 2011s and other race guns?

I guess at the end of the day you get good at what you shoot/practice with most. I did have a chance to handle an extremely nice SVI and

an STI open gun WITH optics. I shot horribly with both. Haha!

1911's are the main frame used in L-10 AFAIK. 2011's are used in Limited with double-stack mags. 2011's are also used to make "open" division Race Guns with dots and comps.

Not quite... depends on a few factors... Location, and at what type of matches...

At local matches, you will regularly see guys shoot their 1911's in Lim 10, and switch to 8rounders for Single Stack.

At regional and national level matches, the vast majority of the guns that I see as an RO are 2011's. One gun for both Lim and Lim 10. Difference is amount of mags. =P

Other popular guns for Limited 10 are Glock 34/35 (whichever is the 40 cal one), M&P 40, Tanfoglio/EAA Witness 40 cal, and regularly see 40 Caliber Sig p226 and HK USP 40.

Key is... at a local match, you will have more novice shooters who are not ready to shell out $2k plus for a double stack 2011.

I could have went the G35 route and had a gun for L10 and Production but I hate shooting 40cal

and I love shooting a 1911. So guess I may be focusing on L10 and Single Stack for a while. I have

a 34 for production but trying to get good at two platforms is a bit more trouble than it's worth for

me right now.

I could have went the G35 route and had a gun for L10 and Production but I hate shooting 40cal

and I love shooting a 1911. So guess I may be focusing on L10 and Single Stack for a while. I have

a 34 for production but trying to get good at two platforms is a bit more trouble than it's worth for

me right now.

+1

TAKE IT SLOW AND HAVE SOME FUN! I was speaking of local Matches, not regional or national level. Since you're just starting-out, you're not going to the Nationals just yet, lol!

Remember you can always start reloading .45 ACP with 200 gr. SWC to just over 860 FPS and you'll make IPSC Major Power Factor and receive the benefit of a little less recoil than trying to shoot factory ball 230 gr. ammo. Baby steps.....

Hehe, look up some posts of mine from a few years ago, I was an avid 40 S&W hater. =)

Right now, I mostly shoot all 40 S&W.

It depends on the gun that you shoot it from, and if you reload. Pretty much everyone I know shooting 40 cal for matches, reloads it. Unlike 9mm, the difference between Commercial 40 Cal, and 40 Cal for Major pf in USPSA is HUGE! Not even saying how low you can load 40 cal, for say production, or IDPA purposes.

A typical 180 grain commercial load.... that I have chronoed, was between 1000 and 1100 fps. My "Major" power factor load is around 940 fps, and you only need 917 fps to make Major in USPSA.

Hehe, look up some posts of mine from a few years ago, I was an avid 40 S&W hater. =)

Right now, I mostly shoot all 40 S&W.

It depends on the gun that you shoot it from, and if you reload. Pretty much everyone I know shooting 40 cal for matches, reloads it. Unlike 9mm, the difference between Commercial 40 Cal, and 40 Cal for Major pf in USPSA is HUGE! Not even saying how low you can load 40 cal, for say production, or IDPA purposes.

A typical 180 grain commercial load.... that I have chronoed, was between 1000 and 1100 fps. My "Major" power factor load is around 940 fps, and you only need 917 fps to make Major in USPSA.

One of these days you guys are all gonna convince me to shoot 40. Everyone tells me at matches,

forums, etc. These are they guys that have shot for a while too so I'm sure I'm just being stubborn

haha.

I do reload 9 and 45. For 45 I use 200gr loaded very light. My load now I'm not even sure if I make

major. It's a load I use mainly for steel. I need a chrono.

One of these days you guys are all gonna convince me to shoot 40. Everyone tells me at matches,

forums, etc. These are they guys that have shot for a while too so I'm sure I'm just being stubborn

haha.

I do reload 9 and 45. For 45 I use 200gr loaded very light. My load now I'm not even sure if I make

major. It's a load I use mainly for steel. I need a chrono.

Part of it is that you can reload .40 for pretty much everything and have it be good enough. In NJ we also have the incentive that there are a lot of good 15 round .40 guns out there, so no shenanigans with funky mags.

Production, you pay a price premium for using .40.

L-10, it's a sweet spot.

single stack, you may have some hardware issues to get a gun that runs, so you might or might not pay a premium to get your gear set up to run.

Limited it's the load of choice.

Open, you pay a capacity penalty.

IDPA you can shoot ESP, SSP, or ESR.

You can load .40 to be a perfectly good steel load.

You can try bullseye with it, but I'm not sure you can get the most accurate bullets for it. I know it's sub optimal shooting random bullets, dunno if you can get something that works well if you really try ands spend a bit more.

Funny you mention reloads. When I switched back to a Glock 34 I thought reloads would be way easier since

I had practiced with a single stack so much. I actually botched my double stack reloads more. I guess I just got used to the skinny magwell.

It's probably due to the fact that the glock grip angle is significantly different form a 1911. Unless you really miss and catch the lips on the side of the mag opening, you are either getting the anggle wrong side to side enough to bind up or front to back enough to bind up. I suspect with the switch from 1911 to glock, front to back was getting you.

so which is preferred between 40 and 45 for limited-10? As I don't reload, it seems prices are about the same. The 40 loads seem to be hotter than the 45, so for a non-reloader would 45 be the preferred round?

It depends on the shooter. Your basic winchester whitebox 180gr .40 is 183 pf when all you need is 165. WWB .45 is 192pf. the .40 is going to be louder/barkier, and from the higher pressure and relatively slow powder, you are going to get a bit of that feeling like you are hitting something with a hammer when you shoot. With the .45, you will actually get more recoil, but it will be mellower sounding, and likely be less snappy and more of a shove with a bit more rotating torque. Out of a full weight all metal 1911, I'd take the .40 IMO, but the sound doesn't mess with my head.

Interesting. I have only one pistol in 45 now, and really dont use it for any competitions, so am thinking of selling and going with something in 40 to use in limited-10. Was thinking for a bit to get a 1911 in 9mm, but that would just be good for single-stack. However, as I dont see myself shooting in that division very often, I may just keep the 45 as it will allow me to shoot single stack and limited-10 if I am so inclined, and save me some sell/buy activities.

Interesting. I have only one pistol in 45 now, and really dont use it for any competitions, so am thinking of selling and going with something in 40 to use in limited-10. Was thinking for a bit to get a 1911 in 9mm, but that would just be good for single-stack. However, as I dont see myself shooting in that division very often, I may just keep the 45 as it will allow me to shoot single stack and limited-10 if I am so inclined, and save me some sell/buy activities.

Most of the 9 mm 1911 are 10 rounds so i think they can be used in L-10 also