antimatter

Looking to join USPSA/IDPA - have some questions

So i think i am ready to take the leap to competing/fun-shooting. and after finding some great info here; i have a couple questions...

1. I see i can easily join online, but how do i get placed/rated? or do i just show up to matches as a new shooter or watch the first couple times?

2. do i need to be a member at these private clubs that they are held at?

3. are there any type of "training classes" or is it all hands on?

thanks in advance guys.

- AM

So i think i am ready to take the leap to competing/fun-shooting. and after finding some great info here; i have a couple questions...

1. I see i can easily join online, but how do i get placed/rated? or do i just show up to matches as a new shooter or watch the first couple times?

2. do i need to be a member at these private clubs that they are held at?

3. are there any type of "training classes" or is it all hands on?

thanks in advance guys.

- AM

Welcome and welcome.

1. Do not join online. Join at the local match. By joining at the local club, the club gets something out of it, and you will get to shoot the match for free. Show up, tell them you are new. Here is a great match for new shooters.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/37921-uspsa-shongum-714/page__fromsearch__1

2. No. You do not need to be a member of the private club.

3. Mike (Col. Mortimer) from time to time does intro classes to USPSA at Shongum. However... if you can safely draw from a holster and change magazines, you can shoot. The club will do a safety brief. Most of all... watch this series of videos...

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/18511-new-to-uspsa/

As far as getting classed, the two sports do it differently. For USPSA, generally each match will include 1 classifier stage. You need to shoot 4 distinct classifier stages to get your initial classification. After your initial classification, you are continually updated based on the best 6 of your most recent 8 unique classifier stages. USPSA has a book of classifier stages, and clubs pick which ones they want to run each match. Some clubs will run a "classifier match" where all stages of the match are classifier stages. This allows you to get your classification much faster. The last year we ran USPSA at my home club, we ran one of those, and an IDPA classifier on the same day.

IDPA has their own classifier course of fire. It's 90 rounds and is the same for everyone. Some clubs will run it instead of a regular match, some mix it into their regular match, others will run it in addition to their regular match. My home club usually runs it in addition to our regular match.

Both officially require that you be a member to become classified. According to IDPA rules, you're supposed to be a member to even shoot a match, after your first one. I know not all IDPA clubs enforce either of those rules, though.

I think most clubs welcome new competitors. The biggest thing when getting started is to try and forget about the timer. Focus on safety and shooting the stage without penalties. After you gain experience, speed will come.

I would contact the match director ahead of time, letting him/her know you're interested in getting started, and see how the club handles new competitors. Many will just have you show up at a match, and squad you with someone who can advise you, and answer any questions you may have. Others have a "new shooter" class they require before you can shoot your first match with them.

Shongum is the most beginner's friendly. After that, I'd say CJRPC. Then SCFGPA (IDPA). OBRPC USPSA matches are generally very packed and more difficult (plus longer) so it's not as friendly towards beginners.

Nick,

That's why the folks who run that OBCATS League Match ask Newbies to attend the twice-a-month Friday night Indoor Action USPSA practice at the Indoor Range. Lower round-counts, only 4 Stages and plenty of Mentoring opportunities so new shooters get their feet wet but can still concentrate on safety and rules of the game. Plus it gives the RO's a chance to cure any bad habits that could eventually lead to a DQ at a bigger Match.....

Yeah but is that for OB members only or no? Not everyone has time to attend those practice matches. It's the same way for Somerset IDPA.

Anybody can come and take the class and be trained for free. All a non-member has to do is to pony-up the non-member $20.00 fee to shoot the Match. ALL OB Leagues (Steel, Indoor Action, PPC, Bullseye, Smallbore, High Power, Black Powder, Shotgun, etc.) are open to non-members to shoot (that's how YOU show-up!) since the gate is wide-open and/or the door to the indoor range is answered during Match registration.

OB's USPSA monthly Match is on-par with a Statewide or Regional Match and therefore draws competitors from across several States from Maryland to Vermont. At THAT level and with the sheer number of Stages and shooters to run in a single day format, it's just downright impossible to expect to have any time for instruction on which way to point your gun. That's why folks are directed towards attending the practice on the first and third Friday nights, whether they be OB members or not.......

I will say, Shongum is the best first match for people to come and shoot. We had at least 6 or 7 new shooters today, all shot safely and took their time, a few forum members iirc. Beyond that, just hollar, come out to the range ahead of time with a forum member, watch the videos posted here and you will be in good shape. As long as you can safely draw from a holster, do mag changes, and move with a handgun with finger off the trigger, you will be fine... it is not a competition the first few matches.

+1 for the Friday night "beginner" session at Old Bridge. I shot my first every type event there on June 1st and aside from it being a blast (pardon the pun) it was a great way to be initatied into the sport. Vlad provided the orientation and Jim and Mike were the range officers. My kid has been playing American Legion ball this summer and between his games and other things I havent' been able to get back to do another. But I'm looking forward to doing it again.

You got your answers, but including where in the state you are from would also help.

I agree the best first match would be Shongum. As far as the Friday night USPSA light at the OBRPC indoor Range would also be a great introduction for anyone looking to get into action shooting and is open to non-members. It costs 20 bucks if your not a member.

Do you have any mag holders, holster and what experience do you have would help to know.

I want to get started as well. Are these matches beginner friendly?

Ready Aim Fire in Bristol has IDPA once a month. No match in August but starting in September. It's very beginner friendly and they don't enforce any complicated rules until you want them to. In other words, you show up and shoot whatever you have. The distance is about 10 yards. If you're good at playing Simon you should be ok. It's a lot of 2 shots in left target, 1 shot in middle, 1 shot in right, Move to next station, take cover, etc. You have to remember the choreography. Some of the guys shooting are very good at this. They are fast and accurate.