My wife wants to move to New Jersey to be closer to her family, but I can't get over the laws your state has on guns. I have pretty much already taken New Jersey off the table as far as a area to move to, but she keeps insisting and asked me to do more research.

First I'll start off by giving you a quick bio of myself. I am new to this group, my name is Pete and I am 28 years old. I grew up in Pennsylvania right outside of Philadelphia all my life. I currently life in Scranton, PA (Home of the Office, yes I know..). I am a former Police Officer in the Philadelphia area but now work in the Natural Gas industry in North eastern PA. I carry, everywhere that I am allowed to carry. I don't leave home without my Glock 22. I also own a short barral .38 special revolver that usually is within arms reach of my bed and I also own a AR15. I plan on purchasing a few more firearms within this next calendar year.

Now as far as I have researched, it seems as if it is a pain in the a$$ if at all to get a carry permit in NJ. That to me won't fly, period. Can anyone share their experiences with getting one or trying to get one and being turned down? Is self defense a good enough reason for NJ to issue you a carry permit? Am I allowed to have my AR15 (7-30round mags) and about a 1000 rounds of ammo in my house? I appreciate any and all help. Thanks again!

Unless you are a political or big-money bigwig, your chances of carry permit in NJ approach zero. It will not happen. And you don't want to even try, because once you are denied you will always have to check that box Yes (which asks if you have ever been denied a permit) on the Federal form when you buy a gun, and explain why.

My advice is to look at homes on the PA side of the Delaware. Get as close as you can without crossing over to the bad side.

MANFRA,

Good god man don't do it!!! LOL I thought NY laws were bad....then I moved to NJ :-( Anyway, from what I understand lunker is right in terms of the carry permit. As for the AR it is legal in the state as long as it does not have more than two of the following (bayonet lug, folding/collapsible stock, grenade launcher, pistol grip, detachable magazine). the magazine is 1 and the pistol grip would be 2. If it has any of the others it's a no-go in NJ. It is also my understanding that the 30rd. mags would not be legal either.

Hope that helps.

Self defense is not considered "justifiable need" in the "state" of nj. You have no realistic chance of being granted a ccw. Those 30 round mags are illegal, at home or the range, you may not have them at all.( no mags over 15 rounds, pistol or rifle). Does your AR have a flash hider or collapseable stock? Those would have to go as well. Permanently attached muzzle brake and a permanently pinned stock are ok. Stay in PA!!!

Good god is right. How do you guys put up with such laws? It seems crazy. I couldn't even imagine leaving my home without a gun tucked away or even openly carried like Pennsylvania allows. Geeze, guess I'm staying on this side. Before I didn't have to worry because I was a Police Officer and the Patriot Act covered my right to carry in any and all states without a permit, but unfortunately that is no long an option unless I go back to Police work.

Just to quickly insert the info about the ccw. I've had at least 5 ccw's over the years. Like a lunkhead, I let them expire because I didn't want to carry anymore. Did enough of it. My last ccw, (also let expire), ran me through some hurdles but I got it after going up in front of the judge... Again, this was for my own company. You have to go to Court to justify your need which I did and was granted. Without enough proof of need, Lunk is right. Hard as hell to get. BUT, if you can prove it, it can be done. Now I don't know what ground you stood as a former LEO... But most are allowed to carry after retired or whatever. (Current LEO here, help me on that)... but any other reason is a no go...

Yes my AR also has a collapseable stock. That would deem it illegal to have. Amazing that a stock and pistol grip somehow justifies legality in someones eyes.

Eh? Why is it amazing? It was the law of all 50 states up until the 2004 expiration of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban. NJ's is just permanent.

@bhunted, I was a Police Officer for two years before I was offered a job with the Natural Gas Industry in Northern PA. So I resigned, wasn't fired.

@woodentoe, It is amazing that anyone could make a law because of what sits on your shoulder and in your hand. Doesn't affect the way the gun fires.

Heck man, dont do it!!! You're better off with her family moving in with you......wait a sec.... i may have spoken too quickly....No No yes, no no wait.... you're better off buying her and her family their own dedicated internet connection with a 60" tv for both and give up your man cave to set it all up in and she can have a 24/7 link with them. Everyone's a winner and NJ doesnt gain another sucker.

First, did you have enough years as LEO to meet "retired" status?

Second can you verify that that your former employer will endorse Part 2 of this application: http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sp-232.pdf

Slight caveat, retired LEO can not carry hollow point ammunition

If you can't carry as retired LEO I wouldn't even bother applying for civilian carry.

Blah... I made the move. My wife made enough concessions for me to give in. I feel naked everytime I leave the house now. I have a buddy in PA holding onto my AR15 until I decide what I am doing with it. I am currently unemployed so I am looking to go back to being a Police Officer right over the bridge. That would solve most of my issues. Luckily I live right in Cinnaminson, about 5 minutes away from the bridge to Philadelphia. Finding a Police job shouldn't be all that hard for me. Thanks for all the info guys I really appreciate it. Good thing is that I should be able to now help in our efforts to changing some laws in the "great" state of NJ :)

Blah... I made the move. My wife made enough concessions for me to give in. I feel naked everytime I leave the house now. I have a buddy in PA holding onto my AR15 until I decide what I am doing with it. I am currently unemployed so I am looking to go back to being a Police Officer right over the bridge. That would solve most of my issues. Luckily I live right in Cinnaminson, about 5 minutes away from the bridge to Philadelphia. Finding a Police job shouldn't be all that hard for me. Thanks for all the info guys I really appreciate it. Good thing is that I should be able to now help in our efforts to changing some laws in the "great" state of NJ :)

You could have the AR neutered for NJ. Have the stock pinned to a fixed position and have the flash suppressor removed. You also can't bring the 30 round mags to NJ, best you can do is 15.

You could have the AR neutered for NJ. Have the stock pinned to a fixed position and have the flash suppressor removed. You also can't bring the 30 round mags to NJ, best you can do is 15.

You'll have to remove the bayonet lug as well.

Thanks guys I appreciate all the support. I look forward to getting to know you guys too. Hope everyone up north is doing good as well. Luckily I haven't had any issues down here. Also keep me in mind if you guys ever do any kind of rallies for gun rights or just get together etc.

Welcome to NJ. If you are looking for a place to shoot, you should check out Delran Junior Marksman, right off of Taylors Ln. Practically in your backyard! One of the nicest, safest ranges around in my opinion. They have a handgun range (currently closed for renovations), 50 & 100 yard rifle, and a trap setup. They are open Saturdays and Sundays year round, and Wednesday nights for most the summer and fall (last Wednesday was their last night for the season). They get $20 for the afternoon if you aren't a member, but to my knowledge they are the ONLY club around that does not require you to be a member (or know a member) to shoot there.

Let me know if you want directions to get there, or any more info.