oneshot

Interview with detective prior to getting/ submitting permit apps?

Wharton Boro told my Nephew he has to be interviewed by their detective before they take his paperwork for FID and P2P.

I wasn't aware that this was a legal requirement to obtain either FID or P2P. Hes active duty marine but I guess that doesn't carry any weight.

Anyone know the legality of this?

I've noticed the 'interview' from the towns that require it (Voorhees and Mt. Laurel from what I know) is really just so that they can make sure you filled out the paperwork correctly. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Wharton Boro told my Nephew he has to be interviewed by their detective before they take his paperwork for FID and P2P.

I wasn't aware that this was a legal requirement to obtain either FID or P2P. Hes active duty marine but I guess that doesn't carry any weight.

I posed the very same question last week and it turned out to be more of a process of verifying info,ID and payment than an interview. I suspect, as does others ,it's a way to put a face to a name instead of allowing some harried elderly clerk to just take payment and shuffle papers.I wouldn't worry.

Yeah well there is no word (in the statute) about having to be interviewed before or after submitting applications for FID or P2P . The face to the App will be clear when they take the apps.

Apparently they have other forms as well. And they cant seem to tell him when the person that does this will be in. Ive spoken to a friend who is LE and does the BCI for his dept. He told me they are effing him around. The kid is an active duty combat decorated marine and he cant even get a clear answer from these jerkoffs. Once again LE deciding to not live up to the laws they swore to uphold. Pathetic

I wouldn't worry about OP's town. One of the moderators has had good experiences there.

It's an inconvenience. I'm sure the detective is in 8-4 or 7-3 Mon-Fri, requiring the OP's nephew or anyone else in that borough to set aside a work day to sit through through the baloney.

Have him write an email to NJ2AS, they are trying to ensure that things are equal and trying to stop the extra stuff (not required by the NJSP). Operation Establish Compliance. It's better coming from him so that they aren't getting second or third hand info. It may not do anything to help him now, but may help make it easier in the future.

It depends on what your, and the PD's, definition of an interview is. PK90, in an earlier thread, showed the instructions from the NJSP Application Guide. It listed a whole bunch of things that are to be checked (asked/verified) while the applicant is there turning in their paperwork. This is a defacto interview and perfectly legitimate.

If, however, it is a real sitdown with a detective and he queries why you want a firearm and questions along those lines, then, yes, it goes beyond the scope of the application process and would violate the added content statute.

Seems that you are a little "quick on the draw", condemning this PD before you even know the content or scope of the "interview", especially since you aren't even the applicant.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I agree with Pizza Bob. Have your nephew go down to the interview and go from there. It's likely that everyone in the town goes through it and he may be able to find out what it's like by asking other gun owners in the town.

Btw, decorated marine or not, there should be no preferential treatment. Please thank him for his service to our country.

LOL 7 days. You and i both know that will never happen and no it does not make it ok for any agency to require more then what the statute requires.

And you speak from experience here? So - I guess 67gtonut is a blantant liar then.

Whatever. Done with you too.

I dont recall calling anyone liar.. grow up dont try to instigate trouble.. i already said i was done before you commented..If i thought someone was lying i would say so. Dont put words in my mouth tough guy. now im done with you as well .

You just said that you knew he wouldn't get his permits in 7 days. I have gotten permits in my town in 7 days or less. What's your point?

You didn't state he was a liar but you made it seem as if 7 days will not happen. As if you knew from experience.

I find it sad that neither of you seem to be able to understand the difference between making an (incorrect as it turns out) assumption and being an liar. If you know their assumption to be false, why not just say "hey, even though that may seem unlikely, is entirely inaccurate'' or something, instead of trying to cause a conflict and call them a liar (or accuse them of calling someone a liar).

Actually, that seems ironic to me. I don't know, maybe I am alone and am making an inaccurate or false assumption.

I find it sad that neither of you seem to be able to understand the difference between making an (incorrect as it turns out) assumption and being an liar. If you know their assumption to be false, why not just say "hey, even though that may seem unlikely, is entirely inaccurate'' or something, instead of trying to cause a conflict and call them a liar (or accuse them of calling someone a liar).

Actually, that seems ironic to me. I don't know, maybe I am alone and am making an inaccurate or false assumption.

Well said sir.