Sign in to follow this  
RubberBullets

So much for the smartphone being the epicenter of revolutions

In short the technology is now patented to "black out" transmission of data in sensitive areas of interest by the government and police. I guess Libya and Egypt's demise was good for the goose, but try and take it to US shores? They will have none of it.

http://rt.com/news/apple-patent-transmission-block-408/

Apple has patented a piece of technology which would allow government and police to block transmission of information, including video and photographs, from any public gathering or venue they deem “sensitive”, and “protected from externalities.”

­In other words, these powers will have control over what can and cannot be documented on wireless devices during any public event.

And while the company says the affected sites are to be mostly cinemas, theaters, concert grounds and similar locations, Apple Inc. also says “covert police or government operations may require complete ‘blackout’ conditions.”

“Additionally,” Apple says,” the wireless transmission of sensitive information to a remote source is one example of a threat to security. This sensitive information could be anything from classified government information to questions or answers to an examination administered in an academic setting.”

The statement led many to believe that authorities and police could now use the patented feature during protests or rallies to block the transmission of video footage and photographs from the scene, including those of police brutality, which at times of major events immediately flood news networks and video websites.

Apple patented the means to transmit an encoded signal to all wireless devices, commanding them to disable recording functions.

Those policies would be activated by GPS, and WiFi or mobile base-stations, which would ring-fence ("geofence") around a building or a “sensitive area” to prevent phone cameras from taking pictures or recording video.

Apple may implement the technology, but it would not be Apple's decision to activate the “feature” – it would be down governments, businesses and network owners to set such policies, analyzes ZDNet technology website.

Having invented one of the most sophisticated mobile devices, Apple now appears to be looking for ways to restrict its use.

“As wireless devices such as cellular telephones, pagers, personal media devices and smartphones become ubiquitous, more and more people are carrying these devices in various social and professional settings,” it explains in the patent. “The result is that these wireless devices can often annoy, frustrate, and even threaten people in sensitive venues.”

The company’s listed “sensitive” venues so far include mostly meetings, the presentation of movies, religious ceremonies, weddings, funerals, academic lectures, and test-taking environments.

I think if it exists, there is room for the government to seize it. With the number of requests google is complying with from law enforcement for warrantless information procurement that android either has, or will have this in the near future.

Android is currently in development for the Govt/Military mobile network based on their software. It wouldnt be a stretch for the government to require that as a feature, then turn around and push them to implement it in their consumer side as well.

I would be more concerned that people wouldn't be able to get emergency messages.

I rely on my phone to let me know if my office network is down. I would hate to be in a forced blackout area when I got a piece of time-critical information.

You know, 15 years ago I didn't own a cell phone and I seemed to get along just fine without one.

When 9-11 hit, the Goobermint pulled the plug on the cell phone towers. Back then it was just voice, and now we have all sorts of data, so it's not as easy, hence the newly designed, Goobermint-approved phone. Brought to you by the NSA and other people that listen to your every word, lol!

Well that's an easy one. The technology is designed to block to usage of cameras and video cameras on cell phones via GPS location. Seems to me like the easiest way around this is to take the SIM card out of the phone while in that area...this should allow the device to work as a camera or video camera like any other. Then, once outside the area, put the SIM card back in and transfer the data.

Unless Apple products don't have SIM cards, but my Samsung does.

Well that's an easy one. The technology is designed to block to usage of cameras and video cameras on cell phones via GPS location. Seems to me like the easiest way around this is to take the SIM card out of the phone while in that area...this should allow the device to work as a camera or video camera like any other. Then, once outside the area, put the SIM card back in and transfer the data.

Unless Apple products don't have SIM cards, but my Samsung does.

The problem with that, is some mobile devices have their SIM cards buried in the sealed case. So short of taking it apart, you're kinda stuck.

Someone, some where will figure out a way to hack the tech and stop it from working. Every security measure has a hole, and its only a matter of time before its found. I really think hacktivists won't stand for this kind of censorship.

When 9-11 hit, the Goobermint pulled the plug on the cell phone towers. Back then it was just voice, and now we have all sorts of data, so it's not as easy, hence the newly designed, Goobermint-approved phone. Brough t to you by the NSA and other people that listen to your every word, lol!

Any cite? On 9/11 the network was overwhelmed with volume, especially on and around nyc, so calls failed to complete. It has happened a few times since, with the most recent I remember being the earthquake last year. Texts worked fine, but nobody could make a call where I was.

Any cite? On 9/11 the network was overwhelmed with volume, especially on and around nyc, so calls failed to complete. It has happened a few times since, with the most recent I remember being the earthquake last year. Texts worked fine, but nobody could make a call where I was.

You won't find a cite because calls got through sporadically all day long. It wasn't shut down, it was overwhelmed, as well as some telco infrastructure was destroyed that caused issues for telco.

You won't find a cite because calls got through sporadically all day long. It wasn't shut down, it was overwhelmed, as well as some telco infrastructure was destroyed that caused issues for telco.

May have had something to do with the fact that the cell towers fell with the rest of the WTC.

As for the topic at hand: I don't know what to be more concerned about, The possible abuse of this by the government.. or the fact that Apple originally patented this technology for use by the MPAA

Why would you buy a phone with the feature unless the govt mandated it in every phone.

Because it is one of "the have" tech for smartphones. Android and Apple dominate the market share. If you want your phone to do (A), then youre stuck with (B,C, and D) they stick on the phone.

Meh. It's one jailbreak away from business-as-usual. I'm sure it would be easy for someone who knew their stuff to stop the phone from listening for these "encoded signals" or at least not act on them.

I think the bigger issue is the non savvy world not knowing or comfortable with rooting/jailbreaking their phones. This would limit the average joe or jane when shtf and uncle sam doesnt want anybody to catch quick photos or vids.

Well, here's a CITE:

You look down at your phone and see NO BARS. Then tilt your head to see the tower that's across the parking lot from where you work (Metuchen), line-of-sight.

You get NO BARS all of the way to your home, including crossing the Edison Bridge which spans the Raritan River and is high enough to be line-of-sight to the WTC.

You get NO BARS while you're home near Sayreville, then later ALL of the BARS reappear, even though you didn't move the phone or hinder incoming signal in any way.

As a Ham Radio Operator, I know how the Radio System (it's NOT really a phone) works. Yes, it can be overwhelmed, at any given point in rush hour along a busy multiple-lane interstate highway. You still get full BARS indicating signal strength/proximity to the nearest cell tower in the system, BUT when you attempt to make a call (transmit with your full-duplex RADIO) you either get a "System Busy" message or a rapid beeping indicating that the call didn't go through. And you still have all of your BARS on the signal strenght meter built into your hand held radio (phone).

On 9-11 the cell system was shut-down for a brief period because the Country was under attack and the cell phones could have been used as triggers or to aid in "Command and Control" of more terrorism. AFTER the FAA grounded everything in the air that wasn't military, and then turned the system back on some time later, people could get calls through.

Those of us in the Ham community were made aware of this action through our Emergency Mgt. EOC's.

Dave