Sign in to follow this  
ClangClang

Any laptop/tech geeks in the house?

I need a new laptop, 14-15 inches, for use in software development and enterprise system implementations/deployments. I know exactly what I need, but I simply don't know what's on the market. Hoping the good folks here at NJGF can help.

Essentially, I need an i7 machine with a chipset that will support 16GB of RAM and comes with a mid-level graphics card. Beyond that, everything else is negotiable. In fact, I would prefer a cheaper, low-spec machine as I intend on swapping out the HD for a SSD and bumping the RAM myself to 16GB.

I would prefer light weight and good battery life as I travel for work frequently. While high quality trackpad/display/keyboard would be nice, I use external ones probably 90% of the time. Heat/fan noise doesn't bother me. I wear headphones and the laptop will sit on a big cooling pad.

I was going to buy one of the XPS 15z L511z (2nd gen i7 model) but two other guys in my shop have them and both reported it was very hard to remove the rear lid and swap RAM and HD, some unresolved BIOS issues (although that might be rectified by now?), and an unreliable WiFi card. However, there are great deals to be had on this machine right now - as low as $850 if you know where to look but I'm willing to spend up to about $1100 or so, so I'm wondering what my alternatives are. I could even spend a bit higher for something really great. Also, worth mentioning - I don't do any gaming of any sort. I'm on my computer 8-10 hours a day already, I don't want to be in front of it for a second longer if I don't have to :)

Any ideas?

Do your apps run on Mac? If so I would take a look at a Macbook. I have always been a pc user and still am. I have also been around Mac's for a long time. I can say without any doubt in my mind that a Mac will have less problems. If you can use one or your willing to learn, get a Mac and don't look back. This comes from a guy who has been fixing computers and related equipment for over 15 years and have a bunch of Microsoft certs.

Not counting the Apple II Gs that my dad bought for me as an adolescent, I've been a Mac user since 2000 with my first Powerbook G4. Since then I've had about 6 Macbooks and MB Pros, 2 iMacs, and 2 Mac Pro stations. I'm happy to open another thread about it, but I don't see myself buying any more Mac products in the future.

That having been said, I think I've settled on Lenovo W530. Looks like it fits my needs perfectly. There are machines that do the same for 1/2 the weight, but at double the cost. I guess that's pretty much true of guns as well :)

I think I've settled on Lenovo W530. Looks like it fits my needs perfectly. There are machines that do the same for 1/2 the weight, but at double the cost.

Yeah that's the one I was recommending (Don't think the link I posted works).

+1 on the Lenovo. They make the best quality laptops for business users. I have had my X301 for close to 4 yrs now and the thing just keeps going despite being on the road and getting jostles around quite a bit!

I'd definitely steer clear of Dells. Good for home users, but just won't stand up to heavy use without some component failing or getting loose, etc...