Sign in to follow this  
DeadPatriot

Documentary on gun laws and the 2nd Amendment

Good day,

I'm new to your board so I hope you don't mind me introducing myself to you in this way.

My partner and I are Emmy award winning producers from Northern California. Two years ago we started working on a film about street gangs invading rural California. Due to my repeated contact with gang members, it was recommend that I obtain a CCW permit - which I did. The process led to me learn about the backward gun laws of California compared to the rest of the Union. Through research I discovered that there has never been a positive documentary about the 2nd Amendment and gun ownership in America.

Assaulted: Civil Rights Under Fire will be such a film. Supported by the CalGuns Foundation and Second Amendment Foundation, this PTV/PBS documentary will look at how California is the front line in gun control battle. The film will look at the current assault weapon ban proposals in California and Washington, DC, as well as, CCW permitting across the USA.

Here are a few links to learn more about the film:

http://kck.st/OllEYn (Our Kickstarter funding campaign where you can see the trailer)

http://www.AssaultedFilm.com (The project website)

http://www.examiner.com/article/docu...rms-under-fire (An article from the Examiner)

https://www.yousendit.com/download/TEhXNWNnQ3Q1aWIwZXNUQw

(Gun Owners of America Radio interview)

Please post or IM any ideas, suggestions, or viewpoints you want to share with me regarding this production.

Thank you for reading this post.

No examination of harmful gun control laws and their impact on the law abiding would be complete without an examination of New Jersey's convoluted, vague and poorly written laws. I think you have just found yourself a wealth of content for your film.

While fashion and food trends may start on the west coast, legislative abuse generally starts on the east coast. The NJ AWB went into effect in 1993. In 1994 Joe Biden copied must of the provisions in NJ's AWB and that became the model for the federal AWB that ran from 1994 to 2004.

While CA may have some unique firearms laws, you are missing the boat if you don't include states like NJ, IL, NY, MA in your documentry about rights being abused. A laudable project but woefully incomplete if it doesn't come from a national perspective.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

i have to agree with bob and tk421. jersey is generally regarded as the second worst in the country when it comes to our rights. there is plenty of crime in camden and newark, both involving criminals who *gasp* break the law and ignore what weapons are legal and what are not, they don't care, they're criminals! meanwhile the law abiding citizens are shafted and forced to jump through hoops to make sure our paperwork, firearms and how we handle them are all compliant to the law.

its high time for a film like this! common sense gun laws? its common sense to allow the public to arm and defend itself!!

i look forward to seeing your documentory and i hope it will instill some 'common sense' into a lot of people in this country.

Thanks folks, and yes, we agree that we need to look at the entire nation to do a thorough job of this production. I am posting on all the gun forums that will allow me access. We are a small production company but very capable. We need to gather as much research and input as we can to do a proper doc on this very complicated topic.

We'll take all the feedback you got! Good and Bad, we want to hear it all.

Kris

can someone chime in about some of the people arrested or bullied over the vague laws here? i would but i'm not 100% on the facts and i don't want to give false information, but maybe these topics could be discussed:

the gentleman that was kidnapped and still denied his carry permit, also the ongoing case and other individuals being denied their permits.

the gentleman that moved here from colorado who was caught with a 17(?) round magazine

just a few thoughts i had as i was watching the trailer, looks great by the way :D

You should get in touch with Frank from NJ2AS, he is a WEALTH of knowledge. Also, Anthony from Gun For Hire, he has his own radio show, you can find on Itunes, take a listen, see what we are up against and what the people on this board are fighting for.. I only mention them because of the more 'public" role that they play. The other members of this board are also a great source of info.

be careful, you could do about 4 hrs on NJ's BS alone!

First, I applaud you on your work and do have high expectations for your documentary!

I say definitely reach out to the NJ2AS organization.

The list of idiocy goes on when it comes to NJ gun laws. Do you know that currently we abide by the NJ Administrative Code when it comes to purchasing semi-automatic firearms instead of the current actual statutes "on the books"? Did you know that a NJ judge has ruled that the NJ AWB is "unconstitutionally vague", and that ruling has never been challenged?

Awhile back I posted a good synopsis on our current AWB, link here if you care to read : http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/24350-evil-feature-list-nj-awb/page__p__320427__hl__pelleteri__fromsearch__1#entry320427

You should get in touch with Frank from NJ2AS, he is a WEALTH of knowledge. Also, Anthony from Gun For Hire, he has his own radio show, you can find on Itunes, take a listen, see what we are up against and what the people on this board are fighting for.. I only mention them because of the more 'public" role that they play. The other members of this board are also a great source of info.

be careful, you could do about 4 hrs on NJ's BS alone!

Thanks for the tips and advice, I will follow through. I'm starting to think this should be a weekly series...

:)

I applaud you for the effort, but as others have said, you need to include the madness that takes place in NJ, IL, NY, MA.

Our laws in NJ are convoluted and scary. Like if I get gas on the way home from the range, the moment I pull into a gas station I become a felon, 5 years for illegal handgun possession.

Broaden your scope, a great film would encompass the whole of gun rights in the USA

Like if I get gas on the way home from the range, the moment I pull into a gas station I become a felon, 5 years for illegal handgun possession.

I'd say that's more than a bit of a stretch. The statute says "necessary deviations" (I think that's the phrase they use) - pulling into a gas station would be a necessary deviation. Now, if you drive three miles out of your way to get a certain brand or suchlike...hmmmm....not so much. Don't make things worse than they are.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I'd say that's more than a bit of a stretch. The statute says "necessary deviations" (I think that's the phrase they use) - pulling into a gas station would be a necessary deviation. Now, if you drive three miles out of your way to get a certain brand or suchlike...hmmmm....not so much. Don't make things worse than they are.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

"Deviations that are reasonably necessary under the circumstances"

It's vague on purpose, no doubt. But, I am a reasonable man.

I'm not sure if anyone has seen this, I tried to search for it but every post with a URL in the text popped up...

A STUDY IN GUN CONTROL, NEW JERSEY

It is a little older, April 2009 and some of the facts surrounding mandatory gun registration in NJ are flawed but overall I found some of the information interesting. The only thing I have an issue with is if the registration information is flawed how accurate is the rest?