Kaiser7

So what do you think the ultimate "status-symbol" gun is?

Only one of those exist, and thats the Serial Number 2 used in US trials before they went with the 1911. Last time I know it sold, it sold for around 2 million dollars.

The missing gun is in the posession of a major collector in NJ and i got to handle it one time. A very impressive item and a masterpiece of craftsmanship. Dont bother asking for more info, thats all i am gonna say

The missing gun is in the posession of a major collector in NJ and i got to handle it one time. A very impressive item and a masterpiece of craftsmanship. Dont bother asking for more info, thats all i am gonna say

There's a guy up here that has more Luger's than he knows what to do with. I wonder

Speaking of rare guns located in NJ, I know a guy that owns a gas trap Garand (yes, it's original and I've seen it with my own eyes). I'm not going to say anything more about it either.

OK I’ll play: guns as status symbol?

Anything firing "novelty calibers" like .454 Casull or .50AE or .500 S&W - the stuff that few if any gun shops stock and costs $2.00 per round.

Excluding serious collectors, these guns are likely owned by high-power divorce attorneys or real-estate moguls or other wealthy people who know little about guns but just want to be able to say they own the world's most powerful handgun.

Among serious shooting enthusiasts, the ultimate status symbol is any pre-ban machine gun.

A lot of people in Alaska and other remote areas with a lot of brown bears carry .460 S&W, .500 S&W and .454 Casull revolvers for protection. As other have said, they are a good choice for hunting as well.

Back when I lived in Alaska, the biggest thing we had was a 44 mag.

When I was in Alaska, the biggest thing we had was a 12 Gauge with slugs. The biggest handgun we had was a .41 Magnum Ruger Blackhawk. I was 13 and they thought I might not handle the .44 if I didn't have the shotgun or the rifle, so I carried the .41 as my sidearm.

I'm late to the game but here's my take.

At the range, I'll stick with my Ruger 44 mag with 71/2" barrel. It gets plenty of looks simply because of its size, and the fact that it's stainless steel. Plus it shoots accurately. When the guy with the gold plated Desert Eagle is fussing around squeezing off a round then cleaning the crap out of his pistol, I'll still be pumping rounds down range.

Now I wouldn't mind having a Barret 50 with "proper" ammo. Targets exploding at 1000 yards could make an interesting statement. :) Just hope the folks near me in the shooting shed don't mind the blast from the muzzle break!

As a serious hunter, do you think he'd actually go hunting with it? If yes, it's not really the point of the OP's question.

Agreed. I don't know if individual hunted with it - just talked about it a lot. If he did hunt with his 454, then it's not a status symbol. If not, then I can see how some people might consider it to be one. I guess owning something because of what it is (not what you do with it or what you need it for) is how we can define "status symbol."

One other thought: in many other countries with more restrictive gun laws, the simple act of owning a gun is itself a status symbol.

Anyway, this is a really interesting topic for me - thanks for all the input from everyone.

There's always been a taboo to firearms. So if money/legality is no issue, how about Lee Harvey Oswald's Carcano rifle? Son of Sam's Charter Arms Bulldog? John Dillinger's Thompson? Clyde barrow's "whippet gun"?

I feel it would be quite provocative, and rather interesting, to confront the notorious and infamous of history's villains, rather than simply be another with a cliche hero's weapon.

As far as status symbols go I learned a lesson early on. A status symbol is not worth a damn if those around you do not know what it is. If you have to tell them it comes off as bragging. Your status symbol should be self explanatory or not worth a dime. :)

Down here we have what are called BBQ guns. They are not our normal carry guns but rather our fancy ones. Mine has changed over time but is currently a S&W 1911 E in a Wilson Combat Sharkskin Holster. Prior to that it was a Sig X5, Sig P229 Scorpion and a Colt SAA revolver. At the range, my Ruger .44 mag Alaskan draws the most attention when shooting heavy magnum loads. People move away from me. :)