voyager9

firearm in stewardess carry on

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/story/19618262/woman-forgets-gun-in-purse-at-phl-intl-airport

Sounds like she had a CCW but "forgot" the weapon in her carry-on. OOps.

Then there was this gem.

When one of the officers tried to put the safety on, he accidentally fired the gun.

Regardless of whether she had a carry permit or not, bringing firearms into the secure area of an airport is still something she can and should be charged and prosecuted. Those areas are off limits to permit carriers, regardless of state. As far as the officer handling the gun, he should not have handled it the way he did.

Regardless of whether she had a carry permit or not, bringing firearms into the secure area of an airport is still something she can and should be charged and prosecuted. Those areas are off limits to permit carriers, regardless of state. As far as the officer handling the gun, he should not have handled it the way he did.

On the other hand, if our Constitutional rights were actually honored instead of infringed as they are, we could all carry onto planes because it is our constitutional right, and no one but a nut job would consider pulling any crap in an airport.

People make mistakes man. I once drove to work and around all day with my handgun still in my range bag from the evening before. I had so much stuff to unload and was rushing that I left it right in the trunk. I would probably call someone who said they forgot their gun in their trunk an idiot 99 out of 100 times, right up until I did it myself. It's a lot easier to do then you think.

I can see that people make mistakes. But you would think that someone who goes through security as often as a flight attendant would have more of a routine that included securing the firearm at home.

Sounds like she was charged and released. Hopefully there isn't much fallout with her employer.

I would disagree, justice is not served by prosecuting every violation of the law. She had no intent to cause harm, and her actions resulted in no harm.

How you fire a weapon when attempting to put the safety on though I don't quite understand.

I can see that people make mistakes. But you would think that someone who goes through security as often as a flight attendant would have more of a routine that included securing the firearm at home.

Actually it's the opposite. I go through a mag everyday and more than once the sheriff's officers had to hold onto something that wasn't allowed in the building (knife, cuff key) because i forgot to leave it in the car.

She probably leaves her edc in her vehicle and just forgot that day.

I would disagree, justice is not served by prosecuting every violation of the law. She had no intent to cause harm, and her actions resulted in no harm.

Yes! It serves no benefit (except financial to certain people...) to prosecute people for doing things where both no harm was caused, and with no intent of wrongdoing.

How you fire a weapon when attempting to put the safety on though I don't quite understand.

By either pulling the trigger, or have no idea how to operate the firearm. In either case, it is pretty clear he shouldn't have been handling the firearm.

In fact, by negligently discharging a firearm, the officer committed a bigger mistake than the gun owner.

I like how she recieves a citation and some idiot gets control of her firearm..

I do believe police officers should recieve more training on the operation of firearms other than their duty weapon..

My old FFL retired now had 2 discharges in his shop both by police officers.. He left both their for a reminder to take control over any firearm that was brought in and uncased or unholstered..

If reports are to be believed, It was a S&W airweight with a bobbed hammer so determining the status and clearing of the firearm should be a relatively safe and easy task...no?

Also did anyone else listen to 101.5 last week on Dennis and Judy about a man taking his family to NJ water park,broke down,asked for help from the local police only to arrested and jailed because the LEO noticed some rounds on the floor,searched and found a pistol the owner used for licensed CCW in Pensky?

Apparently he's doing 3 years?

Philly PD's firearms training leaves much to be desired - as does the accuracy of the reporting. From several sources - some quite specific - this was not a semi-automatic. It was a S&W Airweight J-frame - there is no safety. How does one negligently discharge a J-frame while attempting to unload it? Do you suppose the officer had never handled a revolver before. Why was his finger anywhere near the trigger? Do you know the weight of the trigger pull, even on a good J-frame? Has to be 10 pounds at least.

IMHO, the officer committed a greater infraction than the attendant. His actions could have actually caused harm - hers did not. Not bashing, just stating facts as they were related.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I do believe police officers should recieve more training on the operation of firearms other than their duty weapon.

How about: No matter what type of firearm, DO NOT put your finger near the trigger?

Several times I have accidentally had prohibited items that I forgot about and were detected by security. Usually just water, one time potato salad (but it was in a tactical-looking container) and one time a leatherman. Never was cited for it--they gave me the option of throwing it out or exiting the line to either consume it (not the leatherman), check it with the airline, or buy stamps and drop it in a mailbox. Seems as long as the prohibited item is otherwise legal, there should not be any issue.