Handyman

Mail Order BB Gun?

Be careful. Some of those Gamo BB guns have silencers. Since they are permanently attached to a BB gun, they are not NFA devices any more than a soda bottle or a pillow. However, in NJ, they are still silencers, and you will go to jail for a very long time.

Had to explain that one to my "salesman." He had no idea...

NJ considers a bb handgun an actual firearm handgun. This means as a resident of NJ, you have to purchase one anywhere in the country as if it was a real firearm handgun NJ-law wise. That means that technically any out of state dealer needs to follow NJ laws in terms of disposition of firearm handguns when sold to residents of NJ. This means they would need to follow the FID + PP process at a minimum... again technically according to NJ state law. Federal law is to the contrary, which results in a situation where a NJ resident can go to a free state and buy as many airguns as they want, the free state doesn't care as they aren't under federal obligation to follow NJ laws, unlike federal firearms laws. The legality is in question when it is time to bring them back into NJ, according to NJ law they would have all had to be purchased according to NJ's law if you are a NJ resident.

I haven't purchased an airgun in awhile here in NJ. What would exempt airgun (rifle or pistols) purchased in NJ from NICS check at time of sale? Just curious

Sorry, no. NJ cannot regulate commerce in other states. The ONLY reason that NJ firearms regulations are followed in other states is because FEDERAL law regulates the commerce in firearms as defined by the FEDERAL government.

Outside of NJ, bb guns are not firearms, and nobody gives a crap what NJ says about bb guns when the commerce is occurring wholly within a state that is NOT nj.

Kind of like while Nj was holding onto the 55 limit. We're new jersians obligated to go no faster than 55 wherever they drive? No, because NJ law ends at the nj border with a few exceptions.

Clarification please. OP stated that he wanted to teach his kids shooting in the backyard.

My question is that if The Peoples Republic deems BB guns to be a firearm can he or his kids be arrested for discharging a firearm in a residential area??? Do local discharging laws apply??

Clarification please. OP stated that he wanted to teach his kids shooting in the backyard.

My question is that if The Peoples Republic deems BB guns to be a firearm can he or his kids be arrested for discharging a firearm in a residential area??? Do local discharging laws apply??

Yes , in some towns and cities there are no discharge ordinances. Usually self defense is a valid exception. Beyond that, some towns here in Kentucky have no discharging firearms within city limits. Florence KY goes beyond that , and BB guns and even bow and arrow are prohibited from being discharged within city limits according someone I know who lives there.

There are other cities and towns even in so called free states that have various 'no discharging in city limits'. The best way is to check your town ordinances which are sometimes published online by the local city government, if not a search at a library or city hall will have the information.

Yes , in some towns and cities there are no discharge ordinances. Usually self defense is a valid exception. Beyond that, some towns here in Kentucky have no discharging firearms within city limits. Florence KY goes beyond that , and BB guns and even bow and arrow are prohibited from being discharged within city limits according someone I know who lives there.

There are other cities and towns even in so called free states that have various 'no discharging in city limits'. The best way is to check your town ordinances which are sometimes published online by the local city government, if not a search at a library or city hall will have the information.

Dangerous Criminal --

418936_2306662964119_1139364487_n.jpg

Such diverse and confusing opinions. At Cabelas in Hamburg, PA you can buy a a pellet rifle, BB rifle, pellet/BB handgun.

They will NOT NOT NOT NEVER NEVER EVER EVER ask for any ID, DL, FID, dog's name, first car brand, grade school name or whatever you wish to imagine. I would tell you how I know this but it would expose my collection. LOL They don't know or care about NJ for these items.

To possess the above in NJ you better have an FID. Then if you live in the right town you can shoot them in your backyard.

Get yourself a copy of Nappen.

I do apologize especially after bitching about post accuracy. I should have said 'acquire .. in NJ' or said nothing.

I believe if Gradma dies and leaves me her 1911 I just keep it (possess) and that is that. It does not have to be registered or any such nonsense.

you absolutely can get arrested and charged with illegal possession of a firearm in NJ for a rifle style BB/pellet gun and no FID

You can get arrested and charged for anything, doesn't mean it will stick.

Go read the statute, assuming you are in one of the exempted locations you have broken no laws by possessing any firearm, BB or otherwise, assuming it was aquired legally.

History

It appears that in 1958, manufacture, sales or possession of air guns were made a misdemeanor in New Jersey. They use the term bullet or missile smaller than 3/8 inch...I take that to mean BB's and pellets ? I assume this was rescinded with the adoption of the Firearms ID Card in the 1966 FID Sills Act....

Chapter 91 Laws of 1958 Page 534 and 535

Prohibits manufacture, sale, etc; of air or spring guns.

2A : 151-13

Anyone who sells, manufactures, barters, hires, gives, buys,possesses,uses, shoots or knowingly delivers any spring gun, air gun or pistol with or any other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring or air and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than 3/8" inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person, is guilty of an misdemeanor..

Approved June 30 1958

http://lawlibrary.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/diglib.cgi?collect=njleg&file=182&page=0535&zoom=90

History It appears that in 1958, manufacture, sales or possession of air guns were made a misdemeanor in New Jersey. They use the term bullet or missile smaller than 3/8 inch...I take that to mean BB's and pellets ? I assume this was rescinded with the adoption of the Firearms ID Card in the 1966 FID Sills Act.... Chapter 91 Laws of 1958 Page 534 and 535 Prohibits manufacture, sale, etc; of air or spring guns. 2A : 151-13 Anyone who sells, manufactures, barters, hires, gives, buys,possesses,uses, shoots or knowingly delivers any spring gun, air gun or pistol with or any other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring or air and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than 3/8" inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person, is guilty of an misdemeanor.. Approved June 30 1958 http://lawlibrary.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/diglib.cgi?collect=njleg&file=182&page=0535&zoom=90

After doing some digging, yes it was repealed with the 1966 law.

12. Section 2A:151-13 of the New Jersey Statutes is repealed.

EDIT - And to throw a wrench into the commonly stated slingshot/slungshot clerical error, there's this gem.

2A:151-12 a. ... any dangerous instrument of the kinds usually known as a sling shot, slung shot, sandclub, sandbag, bludgeon, metal knuckles, [knives], grenade, bomb or other explosive, cestus ... is guilty of a misdemeanor.

http://lawlibrary.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/diglib.cgi?collect=njleg&file=190&page=0486&zoom=90

So let me get this straight. I need to waste one of my PP to buy a pellet handgun?? And if I was to pack it in a BOB bag for that opportune squirrel or rabbit hiking out of harms way. Or for that matter, taking on a camping trip. I would be violating handgun laws if I was caught!!!!

What happens if you were given a BB gun as a gift. My wife purchased a BB gun online but was not required to fill out any forms or show proof of FID. So my question is do I need to register the BB with my local police? Just some background; my wife does not have a FID but I do and she had the BB shipped to our home address (in northern NJ).