mustang69

My new 92FS Inox, and the damn waiting period for another purchase

Hey all,

Here's the new one. I bought it a week ago, and after putting a few hundred rounds through it, can honestly say its a great handgun. I haven't shot in years until a few months ago.

Anyway, I was shopping for a few pistols to use at the range and was trying to decide what to buy first - the 1911 I always wanted, or something that would be cheaper to shhot at the range. Did some rentals at the range, felt the 9mm would be a good choice and narrowed it down to the CZ75 or the 92FS. Went to the store, saw the Inox and knew I found what I wanted. The store had just taken delivery of it earlier that day, I was the first to handle outside the box. Anyway, took it to the range the next day and instantly became hooked. I was able to shoot the centers out of the targets at 20 ft with each mag - the gun is much more accurate than I'll ever be.

post-5531-0-24235700-1351212323_thumb.jpg

So far I've replaced the plastic guide rod with a stainless, and have the skeleton hammer and "D" spring on order. Other than that I may just leave it alone.

Now I need to wait for the 30-day waiting period to expire so I can pick up #2 - A Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II already on lay-away.

After that, something for my daughter - the range has become a fun father / daughter weekend activity.

Anyway, the forum is great, hope to be around for a while.

Dean

It's a beautiful gun. I think you have the American version. The Italian versions all have INOX controls.

Either way, it's a work of art. Take a look at the Beretta USA website and buy the .22LR conversion kit. You can shoot all day long for $20 with .2LR.

Yup, it's the US-made version. Don't know about the Italian version having Inox controls but I will change them over as I learn more about the gun. I'm not a big fan of the .22lr conversions though. For the price I prefer just buying a seperate handgun. With the stupid NJ purchase laws, it almost encourages buying more than one with the paperwork needed to get P2P. Effort is the same for one or six. At $2 I'd rather have them expire than not have one when something interesting comes up.

I have 4 more P2P waiting, after I pick up the .45 Kimber I have on layaway. I want to get my daughter a .22lr for her to learn / practice on, and I'll probably get a .22lr 1911 for grins and cheap fun, but I'd rather not run .22lr through the Inox frame - too dirty and why subject the frame to it when I can get something dedicated for the same money?

I even have a few older handguns to get rid of since I don't shoot them (but that is a different thread). Trading them in just seems like a waste.

Dean

All,

Sorry for the absence, with the storm I was out of power for 9 days and just got phone, cable and internet back.

As for the 92, I replaced the mainspring and installed the skeletonized hammer, recoil buffer and a stainless mag release. The mainspring made a noticeable difference in DA trigger pull, not so much on SA. The hammer does nothing but make it look a bit different than every other 92. As for the recoil buffer - probably not worth the money in my opinion. No real difference in recoil that I can tell, and besides it's only a 9mm. Not much recoil anyway.

After putting 600 rounds through it I found the rear sight to be offset to the left a bit. At 20 feet I was grouping everything about an inch left of bullseye. Looking closer, the sight was visibly offset in the slide. I gave it to the range gunsmith, he removed the sight, filed it down so it would fit and reinstalled it. No charge (it was where I bought the gun), now within 1/2" of bullseye. Fun fun fun...

As a heads up on ammo prices - at Easton Heritage Guild the .45 ACP Federal 230 grain FMJ ammo is $21 for a box of 50. With my membership discount it comes to about $19. For 9mm 115 grain FMJ it's $15, $13 with the discount. Those prices don't seem too bad, I'm not finding it much cheaper online especially after paying shipping. Does anyone find it cheaper somewhere else?