Babyface Finster

Local source for CR123A batteries

Why? Never buy them locally unless you want to pay a 200%-500% premium. If you need them RIGHT NOW, then most places that carry photo supplies will have them as well as some gun shops.

That's exactly the problem. I'll do without before I pay $16 for one battery. I was hoping someone had a place that had a reasonable price premium on these, maybe $3 or $4 a piece.

Can't hurt to ask, right?

http://info.publicintelligence.net/FBI-LithiumBatteries.pdf

Careful guys. Not all 123s are created equal. Not only can they be dangerous, but if they are designed for a camera/capacitor they will not give you the runtime or the lumens you are expecting in your light.

That said, I buy them at Lowes if I need them right now and from Surefire directly if I am stocking up.

http://info.publicin...umBatteries.pdf

Careful guys. Not all 123s are created equal. Not only can they be dangerous, but if they are designed for a camera/capacitor they will not give you the runtime or the lumens you are expecting in your light.

That said, I buy them at Lowes if I need them right now and from Surefire directly if I am stocking up.

That's why I get the ones from BatteryStation, they're made in the US..AFAIK it's only the foreign-made batteries that have the "Explosive" problem

Hmm... I've been getting them from Battery Junction and recently thought they didn't seem to last very long. Even though they are Duracel Ultra and brand new. Anybody think maybe there is something wrong with my batteries or my source? I noticed most of the writing on them is English but there is also some Chinese.

When you have the luxury of waiting to be shipped, the Titanium's from Battery Junction are about $1 a battery and very good. In fact, I prefer them over Surefires in flashlights.

x2 on the Titaniums, 1/2 the price of Surefires and last just as long. http://www.batteryju...ium-cr123a.html

The Duracell and Energizer batteries are actually engineered to be optimal for camera type performance. Quickly charging a capacitor to be used as a flash or the millisecond use of a camera shutter. When used in long term draw electronics like a flashlight they lose power quickly and don't give off maximum lumens. They can work in a pinch but are not preferred.

The Surefire and Streamlight are designed to work in flashlights and will give you the best performance. They will be suboptimal in cameras and other electronics.

Make sure which ever 123 batteries you buy have a circuit breaker built in. There should be 2 small holes 180 degrees apart on the "+" terminal end of the battery. Although I am hearing that some knockoffs are copying the holes but not installing the breaker. Buyer beware!

Hmm... I've been getting them from Battery Junction and recently thought they didn't seem to last very long. Even though they are Duracel Ultra and brand new. Anybody think maybe there is something wrong with my batteries or my source? I noticed most of the writing on them is English but there is also some Chinese.

They're dangerous then..the Chinese QC isnt very good, and the permeable membrane between the 2 chemicals in the battery isnt well made...meaning, too much shock or vibration can rupture the membrane turning your battery into what is essentially a small explosive. I thought it was all hype till a co-workers surefire exploded after he dropped it, and we found he had some cheapo 123's in it.