WoodsRover

Anyone know a shop that carries Hi Point pistols??

Hi-points are known to stove pipe if the person shooting grips it in a way to absorb some of the recoil. Since it relies on the simple blowback operation of a heavy slide, the frame has to be gripped firmly, if not, the energy/recoil impulse absorbed by the shooter will taken off the slide recoil thus slide will not fully cycle resulting in a stove pipe.

From a mechanical standpoint, this makes little sense. whether it is true or not i do not know. Limp wristing can cause any number of cycling issues... if the slide doesnt retract all the way cause ejections issues feeding issues and jamming issues.... but a stove pipe? how does limp wristing somehow lower the pressure inside the barrel? The auto loading function works on recoil, not the bullet firing thingy. Sounds like the gun is able to still fire on an semi-open chamber... which may be the real culprit to the problem. I mean this is the concept every auto loading pistol lives by.... If the gun needs that much grip to get the slide to correctly cycle then it could probably use lighter spring. Or use +p ammo, thing must run terribly on low pressure ammo. Reminds me of certain 22's that need HV rounds to be reliable.

OP, you may think were arrogant snobs, but the thing is, we like our brothers to be armed with the best they can buy. You have to ask yourself, can i trust my life to this pistol(if that is the intended purpose) OR if it's just something to shoot at the range. I mean a warranty at the range means, damn i have to send this thing out( not a big deal). But if you NEED it when your camping there is no warranty. There are plenty of alternatives to Hi-points. I hate to say it, but i would buy a glock before i bought a hi-point.

From a mechanical standpoint, this makes little sense. whether it is true or not i do not know. Limp wristing can cause any number of cycling issues... if the slide doesnt retract all the way cause ejections issues feeding issues and jamming issues.... but a stove pipe? how does limp wristing somehow lower the pressure inside the barrel? The auto loading function works on recoil, not the bullet firing thingy. Sounds like the gun is able to still fire on an semi-open chamber... which may be the real culprit to the problem. I mean this is the concept every auto loading pistol lives by.... If the gun needs that much grip to get the slide to correctly cycle then it could probably use lighter spring. Or use +p ammo, thing must run terribly on low pressure ammo. Reminds me of certain 22's that need HV rounds to be reliable.

The highpoints are blowback operated, so the bolt isn't locked to the barrel during firing like it is in most handguns. The only thing keeping the bolt forward is the spring, just like in most .22s. If they drop the spring too much, the bolt won't stay forward long enough on high power loads.

Hi-points are known to stove pipe if the person shooting grips it in a way to absorb some of the recoil. Since it relies on the simple blowback operation of a heavy slide, the frame has to be gripped firmly, if not, the energy/recoil impulse absorbed by the shooter will taken off the slide recoil thus slide will not fully cycle resulting in a stove pipe.

Thanks, Ben, but this isn't my first picnic at gun camp. I am familiar w. blowback operation. And I stand by my original opinion of Hi Point pistols.

Seems like you're your experience with Hi-points is limited to carbines. I have the carbine, it is very reliable. As to where you got the impression that I am implying the lack of experience with being a snob is a mystery to me.

Well, you're implication that I'm implying that implied snobbery if the snob appeal is snobby, snobbery... snobby... LOL aw forget it.

I agree the 995 seems like a decent gun (shot one once, seemed solid) and I was trying to tell the OP that a great many of us here don't think a gun has to be super expensive or rare to be a quality and desirable firearm.

Unfortunately, in my firsthand experience, Hi-Point pistols are no good. I was trying to be nice, but IMHO I'd rely more on one of those flare gun inserts that turns a flare pistol into a one-shot 38 special than a Hi-Point semi.