mcbethr

An Idea For Spare Magazine Carry

I was in Florida on business the past few days and I carried my Kel Tec PF9 the entire time I was there.

I mainly wore suits during work hours or loose Guayabera shirts on my off time. Concealing IWB in a tuckable Remora holster was trivial with a PF9. I was even able to conceal OWB with a Fobus paddle holster with my Guayabera shirts.

The one problem I had was my spare magazine.

I don't have enough room in my pants for another IWB attachment and I wasn't always wearing a blazer (or I would take it off). I'm right handed, so I put my spare magazine in my back left pocket.

This had a number of disadvantages.

First of all, the magazine is bouncing around in my pocket. It's not in a constant position where I can be confident that I could grab the magazine and slap it into my gun if I ever had to. A pocket carry magazine holster could be a solution, but then I lose an entire pocket.

Second, I was afraid that my pocket change would somehow wedge itself underneath the first round of the magazine. Then, if I ever had to reload, I'd be loading one 9mm round and one dime. I can't think of anything good that can happen in that situation.

Third, when I reached into my back pocket to get change for a soda at a drugstore, I pulled out my pocket change and my magazine loaded with seven 9mm cartridges. The clerk didn't seem to notice or care. But I can see how that would be a bad thing to take out of your pocket in polite company.

I think I figured out the solution and I'd like some advice as to whether this will work:

What if I took an old cell phone holster and used that to carry my spare magazine? It's not that uncommon to see people with two cellphones, or two cell phone holders. I may buy a cheap holder to see if it works. My only fear would be that the holder could break open, spilling your ammunition on the ground.

Has anyone ever tried this?

Think about kydex? You could buy one, or make one and have it on a belt in a horizontal position. Maybe not the best spot, or idea, but its concealed under your shirt, opposite of the side you're carrying on.

The cell phone holster idea could work, but it might be a bit to big for the magazine to hold in one place. I'd figure it would kinda bounce around. Try it at home and see if it works, durability shouldn't be a concern since they're made of nylon webbing type material.

I was in Florida on business the past few days and I carried my Kel Tec PF9 the entire time I was there.  

I mainly wore suits during work hours or loose Guayabera shirts on my off time.  Concealing IWB in a tuckable Remora holster was trivial with a PF9.  I was even able to conceal OWB with a Fobus paddle holster with my Guayabera shirts.

The one problem I had was my spare magazine.

I don't have enough room in my pants for another IWB attachment and I wasn't always wearing a blazer (or I would take it off).  I'm right handed, so I put my spare magazine in my back left pocket.

This had a number of disadvantages.  

First of all, the magazine is bouncing around in my pocket. It's not in a constant position where I can be confident that I could grab the magazine and slap it into my gun if I ever had to.  A pocket carry magazine holster could be a solution, but then I lose an entire pocket.

Second, I was afraid that my pocket change would somehow wedge itself underneath the first round of the magazine.  Then, if I ever had to reload, I'd be loading one 9mm round and one dime.  I can't think of anything good that can happen in that situation.

Third, when I reached into my back pocket to get change for a soda at a drugstore, I pulled out my pocket change and my magazine loaded with seven 9mm cartridges.  The clerk didn't seem to notice or care.  But I can see how that would be a bad thing to take out of your pocket in polite company.

I think I figured out the solution and I'd like some advice as to whether this will work:

What if I took an old cell phone holster and used that to carry my spare magazine?  It's not that uncommon to see people with two cellphones, or two cell phone holders.  I may buy a cheap holder to see if it works.  My only fear would be that the holder could break open, spilling your ammunition on the ground.

Has anyone ever tried this?

I have tried it. I took it to a class and it was destroyed. It will probably survive a gun fight but it will not survive training or practice or use over time. They also tend to be sloppy at maintaining orientation, although there are probably so many different types that there might be a few that work out there somewhere.

Buy a utility pouch for a leather man type tool. They are like $5

That or a nylon web knife pouch with a flap covering the bottom of the mag. I've been using these for years, they are durable and don't appear to attract attention. Much smaller than a cell phone pouch.

I use an old cel pouch for my PPKS magazine. It isn't as fast to get into as a traditional holster but it works. I practice with it to develop the muscle memory. Whatever you choose, practice is important part of profiency.

I think 90% of the time I'm either at work wearing a suit, or slacks, a dress shirt and a sportcoat. If I'm casual, I'm usually wearing nicer jeans and a sport shirt that is untucked. That's the only time an OWB magazine pouch could work. I'm probably one of the few people you see at the gun range in Philly wearing a suit.

A leatherman pouch would look out of place wearing nicer clothes, although maybe not a leather knife pouch...

I like the Galco horizontal carrier, but the whole point is for me to carry IWB in a tuckable holster and not have something that is obviously a magazine hanging off my belt. Of course, I could always try to lose 10 lbs and try a tuckable mag holster.

I guess the criteria is:

1. Nice enough to wear with a suit

2. Doesn't scream Mag Pouch

3. OWB

I think one other option is the Kangaroo Carry (http://www.kangaroocarry.com/)

Isn't McKenzie Holsters on this board? Maybe that guy could work up a horizontal mag holster that opens like a cell phone case.

That or a nylon web knife pouch with a flap covering the bottom of the mag. I've been using these for years, they are durable and don't appear to attract attention. Much smaller than a cell phone pouch.

This

Safariland 123 horizontal mag pouch. $16 on Amazon. Has a flap that completely conceals the mag, unlike the Galco, and about $20 cheaper. Best solution I've found.

http://www.amazon.com/Safariland-Concealment-Magazine-Holder-123-18-2/dp/B002Q6GKPU/ref=sr_1_fed0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353630866&sr=8-1&keywords=safariland+mag+pouch

I have 15 rounds in my P30 and it conceals pretty well. If I needed more than that I would be really concerned.

One of the top reasons for malfunctions in a semi auto pistol is a bad magazine. Would suck to turn that nice semi into a single shot breech loader....

I use comptac OWB mag pouches. Low profie and secure. I have a double and a single pouch, so I can carry 1, 2, or 3 mags depending.

If you want to carry IWB, a single stack pistol mag shouldn't take up that much room in your waist.

You could also carry them on your ankle. I know a few holster makers make ankle rigs for everything from tourniquets to magazines.

Safariland 123 horizontal mag pouch. $16 on Amazon. Has a flap that completely conceals the mag, unlike the Galco, and about $20 cheaper. Best solution I've found.

http://www.amazon.co...iland+mag+pouch

This may work. The flap conceals the magazine and doesn't scream "gun."

You could also carry them on your ankle. I know a few holster makers make ankle rigs for everything from tourniquets to magazines.

I never thought of putting one on my ankle. The only disadvantage is that I'd have to kneel to get at the magazine.

I never thought of putting one on my ankle. The only disadvantage is that I'd have to kneel to get at the magazine.

Isnt taking cover in your game plan? I know it'll be my first thought..