jamesbod

Thinking about a Glock. Who never owned one?

I considered glock but ended up with a springfield xd. I liked the way the springfield felt in my hand and the grip safety added another level of safety...I don't know why anyone doesn't like it...I don't even notice it when I shoot. I read a ton of reviews and all on the XD were extremely positive. There are people that have done the same torture tests with the XD that they did with the glocks and the XD passed them all. I have a ton of ammo through mine 5k+ lost count a while ago and I've never had one issue with it...it's shot cheap ammo, expensive HD rounds, steel cased crap and it always goes bang and was roughly the same as I would've paid for a glock. Not trashing Glocks in any way in fact eventually I'll own a Glock because they are the grand daddy's of the plastic fantastic guns, I just liked the XD better. I don't regret the purchase one bit!

I don't want a grip safety for the simple reason that if the s#$% really did hit the fan and I was somehow unable to hold the pistol in a conventional manner I would not have to worry about dis-engaging the grip safety to fire. No other reason.

C

I don't want a grip safety for the simple reason that if the s#$% really did hit the fan and I was somehow unable to hold the pistol in a conventional manner I would not have to worry about dis-engaging the grip safety to fire. No other reason.

C

I would love to know how you would hold the gun and fire it without engaging the grip safety...not trying to be a dick just wondering.

I'm thinking about buying my 1st Glock.

For those who never owned one, can you please explain why you chose other pistols over Glock?

Are you on the fence or are you never going to get one?

Just wondering how folks feel about the quality, image of the brand, & so forth.

Personally, I always wanted something unique because you see LEs walking around all the time with Glocks.

Thanks

During my search for my 1st 9mm, I tried a Glock. I didn't like the looks and I didn't like the way it felt in my hand. It looked too "squared-off" to me and felt like I was holding a red-brick in my hand. Matter of fact, I don't recall if I ever shot it or not. I'm thinking I did as a rental at Hague's. I've not seen or held a Glock, in any caliber, that I liked.

This. I can't think of a way to have a trigger pull without your hand on the back of the gun.

Insert any shtf action movie scene EVAR! :) but i agree theres not many reasons for unconventional gripping of a firearm to shoot. However, when I tried out backstrap safeties i found myself gripping excessively making the experience lackluster. I will revisit it someday soon.

Insert any shtf action movie scene EVAR! :) but i agree theres not many reasons for unconventional gripping of a firearm to shoot. However, when I tried out backstrap safeties i found myself gripping excessively making the experience lackluster. I will revisit it someday soon.

If you were closer I'd offer to meet you at the range sometime...honestly mine doesn't really require any effort to engage and most of the time I forget I even have a grip safety. Never shot a 1911 that had a grip safety so they may be different

I will grant you that. There are some 1911 grip safeties with the giant memory pad that I don't care for. Didn't like a couple of sig 1911's for this reason. But the one I have, don't know the mfg, is raised to ensure good contact but very comfortable in my palm.

In speaking with a LEO trainer, they train to shoot holding the gun in all sorts of odd ways. Also, grip safeties add a layer of complexity that I'd rather not have in a grab and go gun. Just me.

Point is, I want a Glock.

C

I have never owned one.

The grip feels like holding onto a 2x4, the trigger is as mushy as bowl of mashed potatoes, and the company's representatives whom I have dealt with are dickheads.

you crack me up dude, you must have the girly hands

In speaking with a LEO trainer, they train to shoot holding the gun in all sorts of odd ways. Also, grip safeties add a layer of complexity that I'd rather not have in a grab and go gun. Just me.

Point is, I want a Glock.

C

Chris I live in Bayonne and I have 6 glocks in six diff calibers pm me to test any of them any time

I'm thinking about buying my 1st Glock.For those who never owned one, can you please explain why you chose other pistols over Glock?Are you on the fence or are you never going to get one?Just wondering how folks feel about the quality, image of the brand, & so forth.Personally, I always wanted something unique because you see LEs walking around all the time with Glocks.Thanks
I chose a CZ 75 Shadow because the weight at 39 oz is an advantage in IDPA stock service pistol division. The muzzle flips less and follow on shots are quicker vs a Glock 17 or 19. IDPA stages incorporate one handed weak hand shooting on the move and the weight again plays an important role of absorbing felt recoil. I was able to overcome the awkward double to single action trigger through training and using an ultralight hammer spring. I also train but don't compete with my Glock 34 gen 4.  Having shot all 9 mm Glock variants, it's my opinion that the long barrel versions feel the best from a muzzle flip perspective. Glock quality is high and image of the brand is excellent. I think the block design is modern and sleek in its industrial way. I think everyone's collection should be Glock plus something else.  If I could only have one handgun I choose Glock. Because it is the most reliable tool to help me get to my AR-15.

I carry a Glock in .40S&W because I have to. Owning and shooting different guns (an XD, SW4013, SA TRP Operator, HK P2000LEM, and some Sigs) I saw a measurable decline in my ability (speed and accuracy) with the Glocks after a day or even an hour on the other guns. I attribute that to the distinctive Glock Grip and the mediocre OEM triggers (which do get better with shooting and dry firing). I was also unable to meet the accuracy and time standards I could achieve with the Glock with the other pistols (Except the TRP Operator, that thing could drive tacks), without investing significant amounts of my limited training time.

Because of that, all the guns I train with are Glocks, and any other gun I carry will have a similar manual of arms.

Beware the man that only owns one gun and all that...

Having shot all 9 mm Glock variants, it's my opinion that the long barrel versions feel the best

I agree. If I could only have one pistol, it would be my Gen 3 G35. The reason being, because I shoot that gun better than the other Glocks..

Keep in mind that I am not saying that a Glock 35 is the best pistol out there, just that with the amount of time I have invested in that platform, I currently shoot that model the best. I also trust it as it has been problem free for thousands of rounds (logbook is in the safe, but i think it was close to 10,000 at last entry) with proper PM and care. It has been carried almost daily in all weather, and run through dozens of high round count training classes without a hiccup that couldn't be traced back to bad ammo, or in some cases, the loose nut behind the trigger.

They are reliable, cheap, durable, and easily field stripped.

You can modify everything on it if you wanted to.

The ergonomics suck though!

If your looking for a 9mm, go for the G17.

If a G19, consider a Walther PPQ instead if you can find one.

They are reliable, cheap, durable, and easily field stripped.You can modify everything on it if you wanted to.The ergonomics suck though!If your looking for a 9mm, go for the G17.If a G19, consider a Walther PPQ instead if you can find one.
PPQ has better grip ergo and its factory trigger is as good as Vanek aftermarket trigger for Glocks. However compared to Glock 19 the bore axis is way high and muzzles flips more as a result, at least it was when I had a chance to shoot it.  The 19 already flips more than I like.  I think while ergo is a personal choice I don't quite buy in on Glocks having horrible ergo, professional Tori Nonaka seems to handle them just fine.

PPQ has better grip ergo and its factory trigger is as good as Vanek aftermarket trigger for Glocks. However compared to Glock 19 the bore axis is way high and muzzles flips more as a result, at least it was when I had a chance to shoot it. The 19 already flips more than I like. I think while ergo is a personal choice I don't quite buy in on Glocks having horrible ergo, professional Tori Nonaka seems to handle them just fine.

Hey Stic - keep posting and get rid of that dabbler status.

Agreed!! Tori has a lot going for her...

I haven't shot a Glock before, but I have handled and dry-fired a few. I dont really like the way it feels in my hand. I do want to shoot one someday. As far as owning one, probably not in the forseable future. I like too many other guns that fit me better, maybe one day....