I have been looking for a Ka-Bar in NJ. All I have found are the 5-inch knives. I want a 7-inch.

I asked one retailer and he said that anything longer than 5 inches is illegal in NJ.

I think that is BS because I have seen very long Bowie knives for sale at Dicks and I cannot find any statute that deals with blade length (other than restricting sale to minors).

Before I order online, I just want to verify that it is indeed BS.

Can you guys please confirm or correct.

Thank you

I am not 100% sure but I believe that blade length is no rule when it comes to knives. You must have a lawful reason why you are in possession of said knife.

Zombies, of course. Why else would one need a 7" Ka-Bar?

Thanks, guys. I thought as much but wanted to confirm to be sure.

Edited by TheDon

You don't need a "lawful use" to carry a knife in NJ. A lawful use is for an exemption to carry a classified weapon like a double sided blade, billy club, dirk, ace, baton, etc.

A knife is illegal in NJ if its being used in a crime, basically it becomes illegal when you do something unlawful with it.

You can not sell a knife with a blade larger then 5" to someone under 18.

2C:39-3 Prohibited Weapons and Devices... e. Certain weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, stiletto, blackjack, metal knuckles, slingshot, etc without any explainable lawfule purpose, is guilty in a crime of the fourth degree.

You don't need a "lawful use" to carry a knife in NJ. A lawful use is for an exemption to carry a classified weapon like a double sided blade, billy club, dirk, ace, baton, etc.

A knife is illegal in NJ if its being used in a crime, basically it becomes illegal when you do something unlawful with it.

You can not sell a knife with a blade larger then 5" to someone under 18.

2C:39-3 Prohibited Weapons and Devices... e. Certain weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, stiletto, blackjack, metal knuckles, slingshot, etc without any explainable lawfule purpose, is guilty in a crime of the fourth degree.

If you have the statutes in front of you go down to 2C:39-5d. It defines a weapon as anything capable of lethal use or inflicting serious bodily harm and requires a lawful use.

You can't get by reading just some of the law.

I assume "self defense" is not a lawful use in NJ either lol...

It is most definitely not a legitimate excuse(says the police) you haven't heard the news? Civilians are not to be trusted

Sent from my hidden under ground bunker between Taco Bell and the dry cleaner

- 2C:39-9.1... Any person who sells any hunting, fishing,
combat or survival knife having a blade length of five
inches or more or an overall length of 10 inches or more
to a person under 18 years of age commits a crime of the
fourth degree...

Unless you're under 18, you're good to go.  You can probably find a Ka-Bar cheaper online anyway.  My kukri only set me back around 55-60 on Amazon.

I've also discussed this with a park ranger who was giving me a hard time at a camping spot, and he agreed that I was legally allowed to have my 12in blade.

Actually, that is incorrect. 5d is the description for "other weapons". And I love the condescending tone.

2C:39-4. Possession of weapons for unlawful purposes... d. Other weapons. Any person who has in his possession any weapon, except a firearm, with a purpose to use it unlawfully against the person or property of another is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

2C:39-5. Unlawful Possession of Weapons... d. Other weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any other weapon under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for such lawful uses as it may have is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

If you have the statutes in front of you go down to 2C:39-5d. It defines a weapon as anything capable of lethal use or inflicting serious bodily harm and requires a lawful use.

You can't get by reading just some of the law.

Actually, that is incorrect. 5d is the description for "other weapons". And I love the condescending tone.

2C:39-4. Possession of weapons for unlawful purposes... d. Other weapons. Any person who has in his possession any weapon, except a firearm, with a purpose to use it unlawfully against the person or property of another is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

2C:39-5. Unlawful Possession of Weapons... d. Other weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any other weapon under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for such lawful uses as it may have is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

"Manifestly appropriate for such lawful uses" is a broad brush.

Yeah, this literally means that possession of any knife is a crime, unless there is a lawful purpose for same.

What constitutes a lawful purpose is vague (of course), will be interpreted inconsistently and places the burden of explaining said lawful purpose on the citizen.

As noted ad infinitum here and elsewhere, self defense is NOT a lawful purpose.

It is my interpretation that GRIZ has the correct interpretation.

So you cited 2C:39-5, which states:

"Any person who knowingly has in his possession any other weapon under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for such lawful uses as it may have is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree."

This begs the question, what's a considered a weapon according to 2C? To find out you need to go to the beginning of Chapter 39, which is conveniently titled "Definitions". Skim through a bit and you'll find 2C:39-1,r, which defines a weapon as:

"...anything readily capable of lethal use or of inflicting serious bodily injury. The term includes, but is not limited to, all (1) firearms, even though not loaded or lacking a clip or other component to render them immediately operable; (2) components which can be readily assembled into a weapon; (3) gravity knives, switchblade knives, daggers, dirks, stilettos, or other dangerous knives, billies, blackjacks, bludgeons, metal knuckles, sandclubs, slingshots, cesti or similar leather bands studded with metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood; and (4) stun guns; and any weapon or other device which projects, releases, or emits tear gas or any other substance intended to produce temporary physical discomfort or permanent injury through being vaporized or otherwise dispensed in the air."

So when you're looking at 2C:39-5, know that it is referring back to 2C:39-1. Obviously it's all very vague, but the general consensus seems to be that any knife being carried should also carry with it a legitimate and appropriate reason from its possessor as to why they have it. If confronted, you're free to state to the officer that your reason is "for everyday lawful cutting tasks that would be manifestly appropriate for this knife", but you're free to have your own, less lawyer-esque reason.

Nowhere does it state in 39-5 that the only weapons the statute refers to are the prohibited weapons defined by 39-3.

If confronted, you're free to state to the officer that your reason is "for everyday lawful cutting tasks that would be manifestly appropriate for this knife", but you're free to have your own, less lawyer-esque reason.[/size]

Mine is for the express purpose of opening PBA donation solicitation letters.

You guys are looking at if from a law enforcement perspective, not legislative. If someone was charged with possession with a weapon because they had a folder on them that they used every day for a real purpose, it would not hold up in court.

"circumstances not manifestly appropriate for such lawful uses"... Manifest means "obvious", so the law is written to say circumstances not OBVIOUSLY appropriate for such lawful uses. Meaning if you are a tailor/seamstress and you are using a Katana sword to cut thread, you are OBVIOUSLY not using it appropriately. Or trying to say a 8" tanto Ka-Bar is for everyday cutting tasks...

Knives are NOT illegal in NJ unless you damage something or someone with them, or you are a dumb @ss and say (it's for self defense) AKA I'm gonna stab someone with it.

That would make every electrician, carpet installer, IT guy, cable company worker, store owner who cuts boxes everyday, etc illegally carrying around a blade. Oh wait, they are OBVOUSLY using them for lawful purpose. They ARE NOT illegal in NJ.

It is my interpretation that GRIZ has the correct interpretation.

"...anything readily capable of lethal use or of inflicting serious bodily injury. The term includes, but is not limited to, all (1) firearms, even though not loaded or lacking a clip or other component to render them immediately operable; (2) components which can be readily assembled into a weapon; (3) gravity knives, switchblade knives, daggers, dirks, stilettos, or other dangerous knives, billies, blackjacks, bludgeons, metal knuckles, sandclubs, slingshots, cesti or similar leather bands studded with metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood; and (4) stun guns; and any weapon or other device which projects, releases, or emits tear gas or any other substance intended to produce temporary physical discomfort or permanent injury through being vaporized or otherwise dispensed in the air."

I don't what you mean when you say I'm looking at it from an enforcement perspective and not a legislative one, since I cited the relevant legislation. Your last post seems to largely reaffirm what I had said.

To review, though:

2C:39-3,e states that possession of a "prohibited weapon" requires with it an explainable lawful purpose. If you do not have one, you are guilty of a crime in the fourth degree.

Now if you intend to use any weapon, not just knives, "against [a] person or property of another" (2C:39-4,d) then you are guilty of a crime in the third degree.

The damning statute for all knives is 2C:39-5,d, which states that "[a]ny person who knowingly has in his possession any other weapon under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for such lawful uses as it may have is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree." A weapon is defined broadly in 2C:39-1,r. This language is in contrast with 2C:39-3,e which states: "without any explainable lawful purpose". The key words being "under circumstances".

So I guess we're getting into semantics, but I see your point and it is certainly defensible. If there's anything that's certain, it's that the law is very vague.

You guys are looking at if from a law enforcement perspective, not legislative. If someone was charged with possession with a weapon because they had a folder on them that they used every day for a real purpose, it would not hold up in court.

"circumstances not manifestly appropriate for such lawful uses"... Manifest means "obvious", so the law is written to say circumstances not OBVIOUSLY appropriate for such lawful uses. Meaning if you are a tailor/seamstress and you are using a Katana sword to cut thread, you are OBVIOUSLY not using it appropriately. Or trying to say a 8" tanto Ka-Bar is for everyday cutting tasks...

Knives are NOT illegal in NJ unless you damage something or someone with them, or you are a dumb @ss and say (it's for self defense) AKA I'm gonna stab someone with it.

That would make every electrician, carpet installer, IT guy, cable company worker, store owner who cuts boxes everyday, etc illegally carrying around a blade. Oh wait, they are OBVOUSLY using them for lawful purpose. They ARE NOT illegal in NJ.

You said in yoir post #8 that you don't need a lawful use to carry a knife in NJ. That is incorrect. You won't get in trobule with most Swiss Army knives. The same goes for that Bowie you may be carrying in the woods or the carpet installer with a 5" fixed blade on his hip who stops at Wawa to pick up lunch. However, carry that Bowie or that 5" fixed blade on the Boardwalk and you'd be in trobule.

That tailor can use that katana to cut thread, in his shop. You can own just about any knife in NJ, you just can't carry all of them all the time. Absent the lawful use, legally it is a weapon.

Bottom line if you have a good reason to have a knife on you your ok. The use of any weapon on another human being in NJ is against the law. Including your fists if a prosecutor can prove you have at any time been formally trained to inflict a lethal blow. Those Krav Maga classes you paid for on your visa may turn up in court the day of your indictment as evidence against you. For the guy you put into the hospital, even if you were defending yourself in a robbery or attack. New Jersey law (correct me if im interpreting it wrong) states you have to "run and hide" from an attack and contact law enforcement & wait for them to arrive. If you have no other choice (running away not an option) you may defend yourself, but only with the least amount of force necessary to stop the eminent danger your attacker is trying to inflict upon you. If you stop the attack then continue to assault the attacker now your the attacker. No stand your ground here. And this law is why I think even if we become a CCW shall issue state here in NJ it wouldn't matter because you cant legally use your weapon for self defense outside your home. The law pretty much allows you to be a victim or a perpetrator.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Bottom line if you have a good reason to have a knife on you your ok. The use of any weapon on another human being in NJ is against the law. Including your fists if a prosecutor can prove you have at any time been formally trained to inflict a lethal blow. Those Krav Maga classes you paid for on your visa may turn up in court the day of your indictment as evidence against you. For the guy you put into the hospital, even if you were defending yourself in a robbery or attack. New Jersey law (correct me if im interpreting it wrong) states you have to "run and hide" from an attack and contact law enforcement & wait for them to arrive. If you have no other choice (running away not an option) you may defend yourself, but only with the least amount of force necessary to stop the eminent danger your attacker is trying to inflict upon you. If you stop the attack then continue to assault the attacker now your the attacker. No stand your ground here. And this law is why I think even if we become a CCW shall issue state here in NJ it wouldn't matter because you cant legally use your weapon for self defense outside your home. The law pretty much allows you to be a victim or a perpetrator.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Not totally accurate. You do not have to retreat from an attack with a deadly weapon or one that may cause you serious bodily harm.