BossyMossy

Semi Auto Confusion

HI Everybody,

I was just watching the news and came across Bill O Reilly's show, The O Reilly factor. His talking points weren't THAT bad, but he still flirted with the idea of "tightening" gun control a little bit. Ugh..

In any event, something that he said got me thinking. He was mentioning "semi-automatic's" and how limiting them in Australia reduced crime there. Then in the same sentence, he mentioned how he 100% backs the people's right to own handguns. The guy obviously has no clue what he is talking about, and doesn't even realize that nearly all of those handguns that he loves so much are semi-auto. I looked up Australia law, and sure enough, they have pretty much banned all semi-autos, including handguns. It is extremely restrictive there, and it looks like most "collectors" own deactivated firearms.

Anyway, my point is, nearly everything i've seen in the news leads me to believe that NONE of these people know what a semi-automatic even is. I don't think they realize that if all semi-autos were banned, we'd be left with nearly nothing. This scares me. The representative from Gun Owners of America didn't even really correct him or point any of this out. I feel like sometimes it would be better if I were on these shows debating these people. I'm worried that the current administration is going to start drumming up support for "restricting semi-auto's" and will in-effect destroy 2A.

What do you all think? Is there anyway to enlighten people a little better, as to what a semi-automatic even is.

-BM

If someone has little/no knowlege of firearms--and it just takes a very basic understanding--they seem to have this idea that SA is some war-machine/weapon -of-mass-destruction only-made-for-killing that no mere citizen should own. This is what the MSM tells everyone. I heard someone on NPR this morning describing how a SA will fire every time you pull the trigger, just as fast as you can pull the trigger, so it is practically a machine gun!

So people who have little interest in arms and/or our constitutional rights (i.e. almost everyone) just buys that crap and thinks we should get these killers (the guns) out of the hands of the people--because eventually they will just be used for mayhem.

Not sure how to change that, other than educating people you know and supporting groups and the few media outlets that do educate and report factually.

You want to see mind shattering stupidity and lack of understanding when it comes to the basic firearm principles? Unfortunately she is probably influencing millions of sheep every broadcast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8C6Wkkabcbs

You want to see mind shattering stupidity and lack of understanding when it comes to the basic firearm principles? Unfortunately she is probably influencing millions of sheep every broadcast.

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=8C6Wkkabcbs

OMG. This is so hard to watch. I really am upset by all of this. Most of all, the kids. Unbelievable that someone could be that sick and do that to beautiful, innocent children. But secondly, i'm also upset that the media seems so hell bent on attacking the second ammendment AS SOON as they feel like they have the slightest opportunity. It's even worse to that their is SUCH ignorance about the topic. This woman clearly has absolutely no clue about anything involving firearms. I could GUARANTEE that if you showed her a picture of a mini 30 next to an ar15, she would point to the AR and say "THAT's what we need to ban!" Meanwhile she would be totally clueless to the fact that she would be banning both with the legislation that she is suggesting. She has no idea that when she says that she want's to ban "Semi-automatic weapons", she is talking about practically everything.. whether they be rifles or pistols. Anyway, sorry for going on and on.. just need to vent somewhere.

Nice find though. At least that guy corrected her on most of what she was saying. Although, i still feel like i could have done better. I would have answered her claim to ban all semi-autos with "What would you suggest we allow american's to have? Muskets? Because that is pretty much what you are talking about. Nearly every modern firearm today is semi-automatic. I'm talking about pistols, rifles, shotguns. Their action's are ALL semi-automatic. Furthermore, the second amendment was not created to protect the rights of hunters. It was made so that the people had the opportunity to defend themselves, against aggressors..whether they be intruders to the home or within a tyrannical government. And i'm not suggesting that that is the case today (tyrannical government). But, let's be honest.. we've seen our fair share of tyrannical government in the western world, outside of the USA, within the 20th century, during modern times. Quite frankly, the second amendment may be the reason that we HAVENT seen a Hitler, Mussolini, or Stalin-esque figure come to power here within our borders."

Am i crazy or does that sound like it makes so much sense?

And you have to reason with these people as well. I'm not saying to come off like some right wing militiaman. I would have added further by saying, "Look, i understand that SOMETHING must be done. But, i think the evidence is clear that THAT something is not further gun control legislation. Columbine, one of our worst mass-killing sprees, was undertaken DURING the last Assault Weapons Ban. Also, do you recall Anders Breivik? He killed dozens of people in Norway. That nation has basic Western European Gun Control laws. They obviously DID NOT prevent him from carrying out an attack. The evidence is clear. We need to DEFEND our children. We surround the president with secret service. Our Court Systems are well guarded with ARMED men. Anytime the government feels that they have something worth protecting, they do it WITH ARMED MEN. I think our schools are worth protecting. So why not follow the trend? It seems to work in all those other places... no?"

Yesterday at work 3-4 of my co-workers were having the "no one needs assault weapons" conversation. I asked them to define an assault weapon (they didn't know I own guns). They all looked at each other for a minute not sure and then someone said "well they are semi-automatic so you can just spray bullets into a crowd" I explained that they fire one round per trigger pull just like a revolver and that no mass shooting ever used an "automatic" gun. I did not exactly convert them to gun enthusiasts but they were all a bit surprised at how the media taught them to hate something that they couldn't even define and didn't really understand, and THAT'S the problem in my opinion. Try it yourself - next time you hear that argument just ask someone point-blank to define it. The looks you get are priceless!

Yesterday at work 3-4 of my co-workers were having the "no one needs assault weapons" conversation. I asked them to define an assault weapon (they didn't know I own guns). They all looked at each other for a minute not sure and then someone said "well they are semi-automatic so you can just spray bullets into a crowd" I explained that they fire one round per trigger pull just like a revolver and that no mass shooting ever used an "automatic" gun. I did not exactly convert them to gun enthusiasts but they were all a bit surprised at how the media taught them to hate something that they couldn't even define and didn't really understand, and THAT'S the problem in my opinion. Try it yourself - next time you hear that argument just ask someone point-blank to define it. The looks you get are priceless!

I like asking people to define assault rifle.

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=8C6Wkkabcbs

I wanted to jump into my monitor and try to slap some sense into her. I don't know who's worse, her or Piers.

I keep getting people on Facebook saying "People shouldn't be allowed to own assault rifles. Being able to spray bullets isn't something a hunter needs".

I've been getting that as well as the "sudafed/ammo comparison", the "car/gun comparison" and lately their assumption that had our founding fathers only intended the people to bear muskets.

I wanted to jump into my monitor and try to slap some sense into her. I don't know who's worse, her or Piers.

I know, sorry for upsetting you guys. lol. I felt the same way while I was watching it. I barely made it to the end. So condescending, so emotional, so ignorant...and this is what our media offers us. Real journalists must be turning over in their graves.

Piers is ridiculous in the same manner. He doesn't even let guests with differing and informed opinions get their point across these days. He used to at least have civil conversations with people like Ventura. However, the last time I saw him on with John Lott he basically screamed on top of him the whole time.

I've been getting that as well as the "sudafed/ammo comparison", the "car/gun comparison" and lately their assumption that had our founding fathers only intended the people to bear muskets.

At least our founding fathers had bayonets. I can't even have that on a semi-auto :lol:

As much as I appreciate the work that John Lott does and the statistical analysis he provides, I really don't think he's a good spokesperson for the cause. Do I disagree? No, of course not. But Mr. Lott leaves himself very open to counter-arguments that I could see coming from a mile away and that are easily parried. That interview was painful for not only because of Soledad's ignorance but because of every time Lott gave an answer I face-palmed at his inability to provide a coherent perspective.

Found this on the web:

MODERN SPORTING RIFLE FACTS

• AR-15-platform riles are among the most popular irearms being sold. They are today’s

modern sporting rile.

• The AR in “AR-15” rile stands for Armalite rile, after the company that developed it in

the 1950s. “AR” does NOT stand for “assault rile” or “automatic rile.”

• AR-15-style riles are NOT “assault weapons” or “assault riles.” An assault rile is fully

automatic—a machine gun. Automatic irearms have been severely restricted from civilian

ownership since 1934.

• If someone calls an AR-15-style rile an “assault weapon,” he or she either supports

banning these irearms or does not understand their function and sporting use, or both.

Please correct them. “Assault weapon” is a political term created by California anti-gun

legislators to ban some semi-automatic riles there in the 1980s.

• AR-15-style riles look like military riles, such as the M-16, but function like other semiautomatic civilian sporting irearms, iring only one round with each pull of the trigger.

• Versions of modern sporting riles are legal to own in all 50 states, provided the purchaser

passes the mandatory FBI background check required for all retail irearm purchasers.

• Since the 19th century, civilian sporting riles have evolved from their military predecessors. The modern sporting rile simply follows that tradition.

• These riles’ accuracy, reliability, ruggedness and versatility serve target shooters and

hunters well. They are true all-weather irearms.

• Chamberings include .22, .223 (5.56 x 45mm), 6.8 SPC, .308, .450 Bushmaster and

about a dozen others. Upper receivers for pistol calibers such as 9 mm, .40 and .45 are

available. There are even .410 shotgun versions.

• These riles are used for many different types of hunting, from varmint to big game. And

they’re used for target shooting in the national matches.

• AR-15-style riles are no more powerful than other hunting riles of the same caliber and

in most cases are chambered in calibers less powerful than common big-game hunting

cartridges like the 30-06 Springield and .300 Win. Mag.

• The AR-15 platform is modular. Owners like being able to afix different “uppers” (the

barrel and chamber) to the “lower” (the grip, stock).

Found this on the web:

MODERN SPORTING RIFLE FACTS

• AR-15-platform riles are among the most popular irearms being sold. They are today’s

modern sporting rile.

• The AR in “AR-15” rile stands for Armalite rile, after the company that developed it in

the 1950s. “AR” does NOT stand for “assault rile” or “automatic rile.”

• AR-15-style riles are NOT “assault weapons” or “assault riles.” An assault rile is fully

automatic—a machine gun. Automatic irearms have been severely restricted from civilian

ownership since 1934.

• If someone calls an AR-15-style rile an “assault weapon,” he or she either supports

banning these irearms or does not understand their function and sporting use, or both.

Please correct them. “Assault weapon” is a political term created by California anti-gun

legislators to ban some semi-automatic riles there in the 1980s.

• AR-15-style riles look like military riles, such as the M-16, but function like other semiautomatic civilian sporting irearms, iring only one round with each pull of the trigger.

• Versions of modern sporting riles are legal to own in all 50 states, provided the purchaser

passes the mandatory FBI background check required for all retail irearm purchasers.

• Since the 19th century, civilian sporting riles have evolved from their military predecessors. The modern sporting rile simply follows that tradition.

• These riles’ accuracy, reliability, ruggedness and versatility serve target shooters and

hunters well. They are true all-weather irearms.

• Chamberings include .22, .223 (5.56 x 45mm), 6.8 SPC, .308, .450 Bushmaster and

about a dozen others. Upper receivers for pistol calibers such as 9 mm, .40 and .45 are

available. There are even .410 shotgun versions.

• These riles are used for many different types of hunting, from varmint to big game. And

they’re used for target shooting in the national matches.

• AR-15-style riles are no more powerful than other hunting riles of the same caliber and

in most cases are chambered in calibers less powerful than common big-game hunting

cartridges like the 30-06 Springield and .300 Win. Mag.

• The AR-15 platform is modular. Owners like being able to afix different “uppers” (the

barrel and chamber) to the “lower” (the grip, stock).

This is great but is missing a lot of "F"s haha...I may share this on facebook to educate some people

I had a similar conversation at my job today. They thought semi-automatic was the same as fully automatic.