nj22

Thinking about a .45, depending on new firearms laws

I enjoy my 9mm. It's really the only non-.22 pistol caliber I've fired. I never bothered with the others because I worried that ammunition cost would negatively impact my range enjoyment. And I have no plans to start reloading. I've got enough hobbies. I don't really consider a firearm as part of my home protection plan. A big dog, alarm system, and telephone are enough to help me sleep at night. However...

If new gun control measures were to restrict mags to 10 rounds, and in addition, should expanding bullet bans become law, does the 9mm still make sense as a home defense tool? And if not, what might replace my cz?

I would want something that holds 10 rounds, is steel, is comparable to a full size 9mm in terms of recoil (if that's possible, never shot a .45), accepts nice wood grips, and is known for reliability. Obviously there are lemons in every model line. However, I get the sense that the 1911 platform is a bit more finicky than other modern designs. That's debatable I'm sure, but within reason it seems to be the rule.

I'd be open to 357 revolver as a choice. Great grip options, steel, etc, and the ability to go between 38 and 357 for cost/power. But I like the ease of loading with a semi.

IMO ( well, i hope ) Revolvers wont be going anywhere in the future as far as any absurd bans. If you want more round counts look into the 327/627 variants , they hold 8 rounds of either 38spl, or 357mag.

With a little practice, one can become proficient loading a revolver with either speed loaders or moonclips.

As for 9mm, I keep one in my night stand as my 'home defense ' firearm, it's a beretta 92fs. Full size steel gun, good eronomics, and an ease to shoot. There are millions of them out there, you could probably pick one up for a good price.

You could look at the Sig. Nice gun. Meets all the criteria I think.

For a home defense tool, I prefer Glock or M&P. No safeties to complicate things IF something goes bump in the night and a less complicated design leading to, in my head, increased reliability.

You like to shoot, go 1911 all the way. I love shooting mine. Nothing quite matches it.

Good luck.

C

I was just at the gun store today thinking about this.

I wouldn't feel under-gunned with 10 rounds of 9mm, but I would rather have 15. Also note that whatever the government decides has to become law first. That may take some time, if it happens at all. So I wouldn't go out and buy a new platform, especially if we don't know whether our old mags will be grandfathered in. If they are grandfathered in, you don"t have to worry about a thing.

I would consider a PX4 in 45 ACP if our mags were not grandfathered in, but we ave to see what happens first.

Mcbethr--valid points. I have no plans to run out and change platforms right now. In fact, a just put a pair of new grips on the cz75. So I'm in no rush. Just thinking ahead. Would you feel "under-gunned" with 10 rounds of 9mm FMJ?

FreeJersey--the 97 was definitely my first thought. Only concern is that it apparently doesn't like HPs. Now obviously in the scenerio I set up the HPs aren't a possibility, and if they are I'm sticking with my current 9mm. But the fact that it is picky at all gives me pause. I also hear it's heavy. But I'd have to shoot one.

A 1911 would be the most appealing. I love the look, the history, etc. It's just that they tend not to hold 10 rounds, feel a little small in the grip for my large hands, and have that reliability reputation.

A 1911 would be the most appealing. I love the look, the history, etc. It's just that they tend not to hold 10 rounds, feel a little small in the grip for my large hands, and have that reliability reputation.

That's my personal favorite. Some have issues when new and need a little tuning. Some run 100% right out of the box. Much like most guns. My Springfield needed a little extractor tuning but, now I trust it fully.

Mcbethr--valid points. I have no plans to run out and change platforms right now. In fact, a just put a pair of new grips on the cz75. So I'm in no rush. Just thinking ahead. Would you feel "under-gunned" with 10 rounds of 9mm FMJ?

FreeJersey--the 97 was definitely my first thought. Only concern is that it apparently doesn't like HPs. Now obviously in the scenerio I set up the HPs aren't a possibility, and if they are I'm sticking with my current 9mm. But the fact that it is picky at all gives me pause. I also hear it's heavy. But I'd have to shoot one.

I have seen 10 round 1911 magazines for sale, but I'm not sure of the quality.

Would I feel under-gunned with 10 rounds of 9mm? It depends. I don't feel under gunned with the 8 rounds of 9mm in my PF9 when i carry in PA. But I prefer the 15 in my PX4 as a nightstand gun. So, in some applications, yes.

I have seen 10 round 1911 magazines for sale, but I'm not sure of the quality.

I have not heard or experienced 10 rounders being less reliable than their 7/8 round counterparts.

They seem to work 100% for me. CMC Power Mags.

If there was a capacity limit down to 10 I probably would focus more on bigger calibers and revolvers.

Don't get me wrong. I have 10 rd 9mm mags and I usually don't load more than 10 anyways when I

shoot. It just irks me when something is "neutered".

Overthinking it! Planning a new purchase is half the fun, isn't it?

I would indeed probably go with the 1911. Just wanted to hear other opinions. I have heard that the 10 round mags can be less reliable, although not always. My fear is that the 1911 platform occasionally requires TLC--ramp polishing, some fitting etc. I did that with my CZ and didn't love the experience. That said, it's a dream now and it feeds everything without hiccup. It's even cycled dud rounds where the primer went off the the powder didn't.

As far as 8 rounds being enough, it definitely is. For me the firearm is a range toy first and foremost. I only load 5 rounds at a time. It's more the math of the thing. If I only get 8 rounds with a 1911 and maybe 7 with a revolver, why not go revolver? I can shoot cheap 38s for the range and have 357 at home. Then again, I really love the 1911 history. Plus it makes a bigger hole.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of the CZ, and would prefer to keep it. If limited to 10 rounds I think I would still trust the CZ. If limited to 10 rounds of FMJ I'm not so sure.

Overthinking it! Planning a new purchase is half the fun, isn't it?

Yep. The hunt is usually more fun than the purchase.

I would indeed probably go with the 1911. Just wanted to hear other opinions. I have heard that the 10 round mags can be less reliable, although not always. My fear is that the 1911 platform occasionally requires TLC--ramp polishing, some fitting etc.

Like I said *ahem* PX4 in .45 ACP.

#1. It's only $600 or so dollars.

#2. You can get 10 round magazines for it that work.

#3. A Ferrari 458 Spider comes with the gun along with your choice of a beautiful Italian blonde or brunette to go in the passenger seat.

#4. You will suddenly find yourself a better dancer, better lover, and the most interesting man at parties.

#5. It comes with a cool little blue cup for drinking Sambuca. At least I think that is what the cup is for.

Or go with the FNP-45 and pray that the the folks in back in Herstal will get around to actually manufacturing magazines for it... someday.

1911 is a novelty pistol once it wears off you like me won't care for the platform. 1800.00 safe queen I own now. 1911 are for showing your friends!

Never wore off for me. In fact it continues to grow on me. But yeah, it's not for everyone. But everyone should try it at least once!

Sig P220 is a good option for a 45 btw.

1911 is a novelty pistol once it wears off you like me won't care for the platform. 1800.00 safe queen I own now. 1911 are for showing your friends!

For me, it's just the opposite. 1911's are what I shoot at the range, competitions, and what's in my nightstand. Tuperware was a novelty that I quickly lost interest in.

1911 all the way. Put a 1000 rounds through mine. Love to clean it ,love to shoot it ,love the history of it and just plain love looking at it.

Love it so much I cant even look at a pistol made out of the same stuff as my tackle box without laughing.

The down side is its exexpensive to feed.LOL I am in the market for a 9 mm and it sure as heck will be metal and based on the 1911 platform. JMB was a God send to our troops. His inventions put more of our enemies under for a dirt nap then any other that I can think of.

1911 a novalty? Phooey! Masterful engineering by a man far ahead of his time and why that platform continues to have sound popularity!

A Sig P220 - pick your size, trigger, and grip with a few magazines certainly would be comforting. One of my carries when outside NJ is a P220 Carry IWB with 2 mags IWB on my left.

Around the house (no kids), you'll find a 686 CS-1 in my nightstand, a 686+ in the end table, and a 66 in my desk. Any one sufficient to put down a BG with .357Mag, or get me to the ready-to-go Remi 1100 or my safe (look out BG if the Mrs is home as she'll go right for the 1100 :icon_eek: ).