GSYGlock

4 new permits coming soon - what calibers to get in light of new legislation?

Hello,

I currently have a number of handguns all in 9mm luger from Glock, Beretta and HK. I have four more permits coming soon and think I should diversify my collection to add different calibers but I don't want to buy anything that will soon be outlawed because of the terrible Connecticut school shooting.

Q - Should I add .40 and .45 pistols to my collection or something lighter like .380 auto and .22LR because they are the least likely to be "bothered with" in new legislation. I would prefer the .40 and .45 but am thinking that we may perhaps only be allowed to purchase nothing bigger than 9mm ammo.

Can anyone please offer an opinion as to whether my thought are sound? Thank you in advance,

GSY

Hello,

I currently have a number of handguns all in 9mm luger from Glock, Beretta and HK. I have four more permits coming soon and think I should diversify my collection to add different calibers but I don't want to buy anything that will soon be outlawed because of the terrible Connecticut school shooting.

Q - Should I add .40 and .45 pistols to my collection or something lighter like .380 auto and .22LR because they are the least likely to be "bothered with" in new legislation. I would prefer the .40 and .45 but am thinking that we may perhaps only be allowed to purchase nothing bigger than 9mm ammo.

Can anyone please offer an opinion as to whether my thought are sound? Thank you in advance,

GSY

Get whatever you want. There is a very low chance of far reaching legislation like that passing, and you can bet if it does the NRA and our friends in the more free states will jam it up in court.

The only possible "restriction" I could see maybe happening would be some kind of ban on importing firearms/ammo. Making surplus caliber ammo hard to find.

Once the ammo scare subsides 9/40/45 will be plentiful once again. Buy what your heart desires.

I would think that any law being considered has more to do with capacity rather than caliber. Going bigger, like a 1911 in 45 which only holds 7 or 8 rounds, won't run afoul of any new capacity laws on the horizon.

Just my opinion but I'd buy whatever you originally wanted to buy and not let the talk of new laws dictate your purchases.

If and when the time comes you have to make changes as members said before you will most likely have to just use lower

capacity mags. If you really had your mind set on something I say just go for it. Anyways all the talk is on pistol grip style

rifles and I've not heard anything about handguns.

No cylinder change needed on the 610?

Nope. Cartridges are headspaced in the cylinder with a moon clip. The only think to consider is, just like shooting 38 specials in a 357 revolver, shooting 40S&W ammo leaves a crud ring that can contsrict the cylinder a bit and make ejecting the longer 10mm cases a bit more difficult. A cylinder/bore brush is a handy thing to have when switching ammos in the same revolver.

Nope. Cartridges are headspaced in the cylinder with a moon clip. The only think to consider is, just like shooting 38 specials in a 357 revolver, shooting 40S&W ammo leaves a crud ring that can contsrict the cylinder a bit and make ejecting the longer 10mm cases a bit more difficult. A cylinder/bore brush is a handy thing to have when switching ammos in the same revolver.

good to know thanks

S&W should make another run of 610's May drive-down the value of mine, but it wouldn't bother me much, I have no intention of ever selling mine. Besides, I will still have a non-fluted pre-lock while the new version would have that wonderful lock on it. ;)

S&W should make another run of 610's May drive-down the value of mine, but it wouldn't bother me much, I have no intention of ever selling mine. Besides, I will still have a non-fluted pre-lock while the new version would have that wonderful lock on it. ;)
just looked them up. Pretty pricy.

Here are some thoughts...

Get a Glock 23 and a conversion barrel for 9mm and pickup some 9mm magazines ... You will have the benefit of both calibers. You can also pick-up Glock 22 magazines that would give you 15 rounds of .40S&W, and if you really want to diversify, pickup a .357 SIG barrel, too. All you woulld need is an AA .22LR conversion kit and you would have a gun that can shoot .22LR, 9mm (and lead variety as well), .40S&W, and .357 SIG. Next, I would pickup a .22LR pistol or revolver. Get one that will emulate on of your existing guns. Next, get some kind of 1911 in .45 ACP. And. lastly, get a Ruger or Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum revolver.

I would get whatever you like and whatever shoots well. There might be some wisdom in getting smaller-capacity handguns, or handguns in non-military calibers.