intercooler

guess i wasn't the gouger i thought

I have a new unfired SAR 2 5.45x39 that i am willing to let go. .....

I am asking $1500 for this rifle OR trade for a ban state compliant Troy carbine

new PSA stripped lower that I have decide to part with . $450

15/20 pmags, NIB from Midwest PX $100 each

NIB Saiga 12, greased up ready to go with 5 (i think) 5 round mags, Tac 47 autoplug $1150.

You are a gouger along with a few others.

I traded off 2 rifles here ,, did I get what I could have on gunbroker ? NO but I made a fare trade local . I have made a lot of friends here and I couldn't look one of them in the face if I gouged anyone . If anyone want to make a killing on a sale don't do it local , it will come back to bite you in the ass :)

you , apparently did not read the whole ad did you?

My post was in jest...

Yes I read your whole for sale thread, only after a majority of the forum said what you were doing was wrong, did you say O I'm just kidding guys, just proving a point.

Im keeping a list of the gougers so i know who not to buy from here. U guys see the 399 saiga for 1500 on this site?

Only my 68forums is not gouging

People hide behind the market but there are lots of things in life to hide behind......doesnt make it right

Im keeping a list of the gougers so i know who not to buy from here. U guys see the 399 saiga for 1500 on this site?

Only my 68forums is not gouging

People hide behind the market but there are lots of things in life to hide behind......doesnt make it right

You can keep what ever list you want.

A product is worth what the market is willing to pay. If a consumer is willing to pay the price listed, who are you to judge, Welcome to capitalism.

Furthermore, how do you know that the item is selling for the price listed? How many times have you bought or sold something in the marketplace for an agreed upon lower price?

Yeah ok.....whatever helps u sleep at night. I prefer integrity to profit, pride vs the pack and fairness to greed.

I will post the list when this nonsense settles down and let people choose

And where do you think that will get you.

While I agree that some stuff in the marketplace is high, no one is forcing you to buy anything from those people, and honestly I don't see your forum name written in green or red.

Yes I read your whole for sale thread, only after a majority of the forum said what you were doing was wrong, did you say O I'm just kidding guys, just proving a point.

Mhmmm. I have to agree with this. If it was a joke, it shouldnt have lasted as long as it did.

I traded off 2 rifles here ,, did I get what I could have on gunbroker ? NO but I made a fare trade local . I have made a lot of friends here and I couldn't look one of them in the face if I gouged anyone . If anyone want to make a killing on a sale don't do it local , it will come back to bite you in the ass :)

You're spot on and I feel the same way. I don't care what ppl say about capitalism..don't rip your friends or fellow home forum members off.

hahahaha! wrong.

more than a few knew...

If you were in fact making a "joke", that thread wouldn't have lasted as long as it did. The prices that you were asking were outrageous but on par with the current scumbag price gougers, had you said $1000 for stripped lower, $2000 for Saiga12, everyone would have known you were trying to make a joke of the current situation.

Protest all you want more then a few people here have added you to their naughty list.

Yeah ok.....whatever helps u sleep at night. I prefer integrity to profit, pride vs the pack and fairness to greed.

I will post the list when this nonsense settles down and let people choose

I'm sorry, but this is a pretty entitled view to take here. Firstoff, what is fair to you as the buyer is not fair to the seller. It's their item, they have the right to sell it for what they want. Secondly, market forces dictate demand.

Next time, stock up on stuff before someone shoots up a school.

I am going to kick myself for getting involved here....BUT, caveat emptor.........

Whatever reason, a value of item X is only worth what person A, is willing to pay for it......

Given that if John Doe is asking 650 for a lower that we all know should be around 120-140 dollars(even in today's pricing)(recall pricing from the distributors and manufactures have gone up)..you do not HAVE to buy it......you can sit back and laugh at the price....

Conversely, Jane Doe WANTS THAT LOWER, NEEDS THAT LOWER at ANY cost.....is she a fool for buying it...?? Maybe but she is happy....

The markets will find their own level....*THAT* being said.......we all need to make choices with what we do, or do not do......it is up to the individuals to be able to look in the mirror when they shave and feel good about themselves....

CASE IN POINT..........

The shop has a 9mm AR Variant for sale....*personally I think* it is priced fairly given the following factors....:

1) It is on par with what other companies are asking for them

2) There is a zero wait time to have it (RRA is almost 10 weeks last we checked....)

3) It has additions beyond a base rifle...

It is too much... THE MARKET will bear it out....

Also we have lowers.....about (40).....the price for us to get them has gone up from the manufacturer/distributor by almost 25% or so....so we need to reflect that in our pricing.....to keep the relatively slim margin that is there as it is, viable...

These are tough times...for many reasons.....and there is NO right answer....however would * I, nickjc* spend that much on ammo or lowers....not on your life.....some might....

Agreed Nick.

I don't understand the vilification of 'gouging', it's a market reaction to demand. If you don't "gouge" then you end up with the following things happening:

1. Shortages

2. Rationing

"Gouging" eliminates that. Because what people consider "gouging" is a rational response to demand.

Take Hurricane Sandy for instance: the SUPPLY of gasoline in the State was low. But prices remained low at pre-Sandy norms. What happened? SHORTAGES! RATIONING!

Now if prices were allowed to increase, then we wouldn't have had long gas lines, or shortages, and the increased profit margins on shipping gas into the State and selling it would have probably restored service in the same amount of time. Does this mean some folks (who don't have a lot of money to pay inflated rates) get screwed? Yes! But when you run out of something, or ration it, everyone gets screwed.

This firearms panic is a terrible thing for the entire firearms and accessories supply chain. Unfortunately, like most panics, it cannot be predicted in time, and most attempts to raise prices did not occur fast enough. Dealers should have marked up everything rapidly to ensure a steady supply, even if it is at a higher rate.

Being a "jolly good fella" and selling things below their market value is dumb, and hurts everyone in the long run.

Agreed Nick.

I don't understand the vilification of 'gouging', it's a market reaction to demand. If you don't "gouge" then you end up with the following things happening:

1. Shortages

2. Rationing

"Gouging" eliminates that. Because what people consider "gouging" is a rational response to demand.

Take Hurricane Sandy for instance: the SUPPLY of gasoline in the State was low. But prices remained low at pre-Sandy norms. What happened? SHORTAGES! RATIONING!

Now if prices were allowed to increase, then we wouldn't have had long gas lines, or shortages, and the increased profit margins on shipping gas into the State and selling it would have probably restored service in the same amount of time. Does this mean some folks (who don't have a lot of money to pay inflated rates) get screwed? Yes! But when you run out of something, or ration it, everyone gets screwed.

This firearms panic is a terrible thing for the entire firearms and accessories supply chain. Unfortunately, like most panics, it cannot be predicted in time, and most attempts to raise prices did not occur fast enough. Dealers should have marked up everything rapidly to ensure a steady supply, even if it is at a higher rate.

Being a "jolly good fella" and selling things below their market value is dumb, and hurts everyone in the long run.

The lack of fuel thing had more to do with the wide spread power outages...plenty of fuel in the tanks under ground w/o a way to pump it. Also, Christie was asking everyone to look for and report price gougers. If a case of ammo cost someone $300 and they turn around and have it for sale for $800...they're a piece of shit and I hope they get explosive diarrhea in rush hour traffic.

The lack of fuel thing had more to do with the wide spread power outages...plenty of fuel in the tanks under ground w/o a way to pump it. Also, Christie was asking everyone to look for and report price gougers. If a case of ammo cost someone $300 and they turn around and have it for sale for $800...they're a piece of shit and I hope they get explosive diarrhea in rush hour traffic.

Doesn't matter if the fuel was there or not. If it's inaccessible, then that supply is useless to those who need it. The cost of gas should have gone up to account for the drop in supply, coupled with the increase in demand from people running generators and using their cars for warmth. This would've eliminated, or at least, mitigated the need to ration gas and wait in long lines.

Also, when that guy bought that $300 case of ammo, ammo was most likely plentiful in relation to demand. If they sold it for $800, then that means supply has gone down and demand has gone up. He made a profit by forecasting the increase in prices.

Seriously, I don't see why people get so mad at those who buy low and sell high. Once upon a time, Springfield M1903s were plentiful and could be had for $45. But now supply is down, and you see them at $700, so where is the outrage there?

Luckily my life does not revolve around firearms. For the time being I plan on shooting less, and funding my other hobbies. I have enough to protect myself and my family and beyond that.. I'll wait until prices drop and stock replenishes. :good:

Exactly, same here. If people want to panic and throw their money at obviously overpriced stuff, let them. They're old enough to make their own decisions.

Luckily my life does not revolve around firearms. For the time being I plan on shooting less, and funding my other hobbies. I have enough to protect myself and my family and beyond that.. I'll wait until prices drop and stock replenishes. :good:

HAHAHA love the avatar...tremendous.

Good points. Emphasis on the fact that price gouging only applies to essential commodities. AR lowers are not essential. And the community can sort this out without the creation and maintenance of a subjective list of local "gougers". We've got enough lists and named names already.

The ammo shortages have got me seriously considering spending money on reloading supplies and equipment rather than paying $800 for a box of ammo. I will shoot my existing supply in the meantime.

Doesn't matter if the fuel was there or not. If it's inaccessible, then that supply is useless to those who need it. The cost of gas should have gone up to account for the drop in supply, coupled with the increase in demand from people running generators and using their cars for warmth. This would've eliminated, or at least, mitigated the need to ration gas and wait in long lines.

Also, when that guy bought that $300 case of ammo, ammo was most likely plentiful in relation to demand. If they sold it for $800, then that means supply has gone down and demand has gone up. He made a profit by forecasting the increase in prices.

Seriously, I don't see why people get so mad at those who buy low and sell high. Once upon a time, Springfield M1903s were plentiful and could be had for $45. But now supply is down, and you see them at $700, so where is the outrage there?

While free market forces may have been able to keep the lines shorter or non-existant, what do you want people to tell thier boss? Sorry I can't come to work today because I can't afford the $15 per gallon gas here.

I think some of you are missing the point, myself and a few others are trying to make.

If you want to sell an $800 dollar shotgun for $2000 on gunbroker to some idiot go for it.

To try and make the same money off someone on this forum is scummy. We are supposed to be a community of NJ gun owners, a small minority in this state. You want to get fair market value for what you are selling that is reasonable. But you don't have to bend your neighbor over a barrel.

Sorry, boys, been tough being here past few weeks as we close out the year and I am pulling out hair trying to plan for fiscal cliff.

In any case... People can ask whatever they want to. Some will get it, some will not. For alot of people, it is the uncertainty premium.

Diane Feingold is ready to introduce an AWB even tougher than the 94 ban. Anything existing will be locked in. Prices will be high if you can no longer get it.

Another factor is... you cannot get any guns in the store. Tony357 went to BA yesterday, they had 2 guns and sold out of everything. PK90 is out of every AR and AK. Distributors are limiting people to 1 gun.

Demand has gone up 3 fold.... do we expect prices to stay?

Is there too much? Sure... someone asking 5x what an item is worth is, but then they would be laughed off. So people are asking 2x for an AR, and there is a line for it. Is it gouging?

If the ban comes.... that will seem like a wise choice since you will not be able to get an AR anymore.... (go read how strong the bill is worded), and if not... well, you got an AR that will go up in time anyway until the next massacre.

I sold my AR recently for $2050, full asking price for a 3 gun ready gun, with all the top components, including optics and mount. A year ago, when you could find parts... it cost me $1450 to $1500 in parts to build it. Is that gouging?

Granted, a lot of the prices I would not pay for, however there are priorities for everyone.

If you really want a gun.... and you cannot find it anywhere else... would you rather someone not list theirs for sale?

I think some of you are missing the point, myself and a few others are trying to make.

If you want to sell an $800 dollar shotgun for $2000 on gunbroker to some idiot go for it.

To try and make the same money off someone on this forum is scummy. We are supposed to be a community of NJ gun owners, a small minority in this state. You want to get fair market value for what you are selling that is reasonable. But you don't have to bend your neighbor over a barrel.

What about if the current dealers are asking that much, and you are no longer able to buy those shotguns?

Ie...

Dragunov SVD.... they were imported for about $450..... then the ban happened, no more... people wanted them, try finding one for less than $8k for a real one.

Is it gouging?

There is a price people are willing to pay, and it is up to the potential buyers to determine how much something is worth to them.

Do I think the recent prices are stupid high versus what we paid for the same items 5 months ago? Sure.... but we will all be wrong going forward if any gun laws are passed.

this is how I feel. It's hard enough for us to fight the libtards and the politicians but when we do this to our own it's self defeating. Also, there are forums out there that are not allowing members to do this. I know people get pissy at this comment but I'll never buy from anyone here that does this. Go to gunbroker or arfcom