twong11219

Can someone explain what they're oiling up when they say run wet?

Lay down a coating, don't wipe it off. Thats what they mean by "wet". The only thing that I wipe dry is the impingement gas chamber on the bolt carrier hole the bolt slides into, and the tail part of the bolt behind the gas check gaskets washers (whatever they are called).

I dab some Magnalube grease on key areas , especially contact points of the trigger mechanism. The rest is Slip2000, IMO the best wet lube out there.

When someone says run your AR wet they are usually referring to the bolt carrier. I use grease on the bolt carrier rails, I oil up all springs and moving parts. And before I go shooting I sometimes run an oily patch down the barrel.

Hmmmm, so even the barrel's wet too. I was always told to run a wet patch, then a dry patch to take off the excess. I assume any areas where hot gases will be in contact of should be left dry for the BCG. I'll give Slip2000 a try too.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

I don't know if a 'wet' barrel is recommend or not. It just makes sense to me, bullet is moving down the barrel, lubrication makes sense IMO. Could be wrong but I've never had a problem.

I run mine wet. Everything inside from buffer tube to muzzle brake has a coating of FireClean. That's because with this oil, anything coated doesn't get a carbon build up that sticks to it. Just wipes off with a rag. So, by coating everything, cleanup is a breeze and only 5 minutes.

Your main contact points for moving parts should always be lubed when shooting, and the whole interior of the upper should be lubed when being stored to prevent corrosion.

If the chamber is oiled, how does the expanding cartridge lock to the chamber wall when fired?

It doesn't "lock" per se. It just expands enough to seal the case in the chamber. Oil won't effect that, but it can lead to carbon build up which will lead to stuck cases and things of that nature. Like I said, I only lube front to back with FireClean only. I didn't do that with any other oils.

It doesn't "lock" per se. It just expands enough to seal the case in the chamber. Oil won't effect that, but it can lead to carbon build up which will lead to stuck cases and things of that nature. Like I said, I only lube front to back with FireClean only. I didn't do that with any other oils.

Chambers NEED to be dry.

Chambers NEED to be dry.

Haven't had a problem yet. I won't disagree with you on them needing to be dry, as I always did it that way. I am just speaking of my experience with a specific type of oil. If you haven't used it yet, you would be amazed at what it does.

All this talk about wet is crazy. 3 drops of oil on my bcg rubbed around.. 1 drop on the actual bult part that slides inside the bcg. I run 400-500 rounds of lc xm193 easy prior to ammo restraint and prices. Now if I shoot 100 its a lot. More oil in the area means more carbon collection and attracts dirt. If I coild run tula through my ar I bet I cam shoots a case with no issues with lubing it this way

All this talk about wet is crazy. 3 drops of oil on my bcg rubbed around.. 1 drop on the actual bult part that slides inside the bcg. I run 400-500 rounds of lc xm193 easy prior to ammo restraint and prices. Now if I shoot 100 its a lot. More oil in the area means more carbon collection and attracts dirt. If I coild run tula through my ar I bet I cam shoots a case with no issues with lubing it this way

I easily surpass 1000 rounds. Never tried more than that. They actually did a 10k round test.

Some oils really attract carbon or burn off easily and leave residue, some oils don't burn at all, and don't move or leave residue. When I say "wet", I mean that it has a coating. Oiling my upper takes all of 3-4 drops of fireclean. It spreads like crazy. I never meant that is dripping wet if that is what anybody thought I meant.

I was cleaning up my BCG last night and took a closer look at what the bolt carrier is actually touching in the receiver. Maybe my bolt is different as I have an SR15 with Knight's proprietary BCG and don't have a mil-spec carrier to compare to, but there's only 4 points of contact. Seems to be the same from the images I've Google'd. If you're looking at the carrier from the front, the contact points are on the left and right of 12 o'clock, 4 and 8 o'clock position. So, just oiling those key points of contact is all that's really required. The rest of the carrier doesn't contact the receiver. A few drops of oil does go a long way.

When they mean "wet" it's SLIP 2000 on the BCG. Inside of the upper where the BCG rides (rails) as well as the BCG itself. You don't need half a bottle but it would suffice to say that there is a "generous" coating. You'll often see oil weep out of the lower pins. 90% of users don't have to worry about running their carbine wet. The guys who need to worry are the ones firing 750-1000 rds a clip under intense training circumstances.

FYI, I believe the guy who coined the phrase "run it wet" is Pat Rogers of EAG Tactical. He found that a lot of students in his courses were suffering failures on their carbines due to lack of lubrication.

I was cleaning up my BCG last night and took a closer look at what the bolt carrier is actually touching in the receiver. Maybe my bolt is different as I have an SR15 with Knight's proprietary BCG and don't have a mil-spec carrier to compare to, but there's only 4 points of contact. Seems to be the same from the images I've Google'd. If you're looking at the carrier from the front, the contact points are on the left and right of 12 o'clock, 4 and 8 o'clock position. So, just oiling those key points of contact is all that's really required. The rest of the carrier doesn't contact the receiver. A few drops of oil does go a long way.

This is correct. The four contact points on the BCG need a few drops of oil. Pat Rogers also puts a few drops into the vent holes on the BCG where the bolt bleeds gas off.