usnmars

Another find of a lifetime!

I picked this up the other day and figured I would share. It is an original 24/47 Yugoslavian Mountain Cavalry Carbine Sniper (try saying that 6 times fast). There are 6 known Mountain Cav Carbines known to exist in the world, 2 being in the Royal Army Museum in Leeds, UK. This is the only one to be in sniper configuration. I would say that is kinda rare :) I picked it up from a pile of regular Yugo's and it had to come home with me. I have a scope and mount on order so hopefully soon we'll see how she does at the range.

DSC01311.jpg

DSC01317.jpg

DSC01309.jpg

DSC01305.jpg

Wow, Eric, you are the milsurp king. One has to realize that it is not just finding them that is tough, but recognizing what you have found. The breadth of your knowledge, when it comes to obscure milsurp weapons, is amazing.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I actually only knew it was a sniper when I picked it up. I posted on another milsurp collectors board and the official "guru" of Yugos gave me the info on its rarity. I also picked up a M48 sniper when I was shopping. If anybody is looking for a nice Yugo, Sarco has some real gems on the shelf. All the Yugo Mausers on the shelf that I saw were $200. Here is what the expert said on the other board

Back to the 24/47- As you are probably aware, the original model 1924s built before WWII came in 2 "carbine" variants besides the rifle. Both had secondary side mounted swivels. One had a straight bolt (type II) and one a bent bolt (type I). The TI is quite rare. The bolt is different from post war bolts. In fact, the carbine against the red back ground (courtesy of John Wall) has this bolt. The bent bolt on the 24/47 carbine is not a T-1 bolt. Note the bolt arm ball. Appears to be full round meaning it is a modified straight bolt, probably done when the rifle was scoped.

After WWII when refurbishing M1924s into 24/47s, the Yugoslavs decided they did not need any carbines so pulled the secondary stock swivels, plugged the stocks and ground the side loop off the barrel bands so that all 1924s became "rifle" configured 24/47s. However, an exception existed. The was a border unit the worked a mountainous region that were horse mounted. This unit was using an amalgam of M98 Mauser rifles, Mosin-Nagant M44 carbines and Soviet PPSH. Naturally, logistics was a pain in the gluteus maximus. So this unit was issued M24/47 carbines- specifically "carbine" configured M1924s but, refurbished as 24/47. The unit has been established as having approx 5,000 personnel so the issue of weapons has been estimated" at between 5,000-6,000 carbines. Of that number, only about 1/2 dozen are known to exist: 2ea I think it is (w/out consulting my notes) in the Royal Armory Museum, Leeds, England, and 3 or 4 I know of in private hands here in the USA. The straight bolt is typical Though I'd have to check my photos to verify that no others were modified as yours is. None of the others were d&t'ed for sniper configuration.

Give me a shout when you go, sarco is only 26 minutes from my place and I pretty much live there anyway. They had some nice TRZ-5's, Radonica 145's, and script 44's and few M24/52'c

Eric you are the motherflippin MAN!!!!

Lets go to the cmp already!

Effing beautiful.

I'm waiting to get my M24/47, but it's an average ol' Yugo Mauser. Mismatched and the stock is finished in amber shellac. However, it's practically un-used..

Do you reload your 8mm Mauser???

I reload 8mm. I convert 30-06 for brass and like the Nosler 200gr BTHP's with some 4064 powder. If you keep an eye on shootersproshop they have the nosler factory second bullets fairly cheap occasionally.

Awesome. Does reshaping 30-06 save you even more money?

I see you are "the milsurp guru." I'd like to acquire some of yor knowledge some day hahaha. I'm just getting into guns, and there's something about milsurps that get me.. particularly Mausers.

I was in the store the day you bought it. You mentioned the fact that is had been drilled for a scope.

After a bit of horse trading with a friend out in California I managed to get an original set of EAW Swing Mounts for it and tracked down a Zrak Scope. So here she is, restored back to her former glory....... Purdy aint it!

DSC01338_zps191e2ab3.jpg

DSC01336_zps7dc3546d.jpg

DSC01335_zpsbfd1d47d.jpg

DSC01334_zpsc465b804.jpg

DSC01339_zps2faa1512.jpg