zoid

Do you own a knife(s) that are worth more than your gun(s)?

I didn't give it much thought, but now that i have i realize i have several that are worth more than

any of my guns including my Kimber TLE RL II and my AR15 (Spikes). Most expensive one is

probably this:

Balibalistic Lum Tanto Custom Balisong. Probably around $1500-1800 on the secondary market.

IMG_1009%2520-%2520dark.JPG

I've thought about selling some of them in the past for guns, but the thing is it's much harder to replace a rare/custom

knife than it is to get a production gun.

I don't think I ever spent more than $75 for a knife. The problem with most expensive knives is they become trophies and are never used as tools. One doesn't want to take a chance of scratching or nicking the blade of that $2000 knife.

Northstar EDC no pics though you might cry if you could see all the scratches on it. I really do use it almost every day. I know its not the most expensive knife but not that many people will use a +$250 knife as their EDC. I cant say enough about the quality of Bark River though they are top notch! I am a fan of Lone Wolf also I used to carry the defender and I really liked that too

I have one I inherited. Everybody took turns according to age when Gramps was giving his stuff away. I picked third everyone else picked gold or diamonds.

I took Gramps old Bowie knife just cause it was in the family for 4 generations.(me being the 4th)

When I got it home I never saw another like it online so I posted a picture. People freaked ! Turns out there are only five known to exist with Mine being the one in best condition. Two others sold a few years back at auction for around 17K !

I still have mine but its in hiding now.LOL

I have one I inherited. Everybody took turns according to age when Gramps was giving his stuff away. I picked third everyone else picked gold or diamonds.

I took Gramps old Bowie knife just cause it was in the family for 4 generations.(me being the 4th)

When I got it home I never saw another like it online so I posted a picture. People freaked ! Turns out there are only five known to exist with Mine being the one in best condition. Two others sold a few years back at auction for around 17K !

I still have mine but its in hiding now.LOL

You got a third round draft pick but got a 1st round prospect! Nice. That knife is probably worth more than most peoples cars!

I don't think I ever spent more than $75 for a knife. The problem with most expensive knives is they become trophies and are never used as tools. One doesn't want to take a chance of scratching or nicking the blade of that $2000 knife.

Have a look around a website called usualsuspect.net. There are dudes (and dudettes) on that site who rock full custom Emersons or Full custom Striders (easily $2K+) on a regular basis.

There's a place in the world for razor blade and box cutters, to be sure. But there are those of us out there that like nice toys... er... tools. I don't own any knives over $1K... but everything I own, I do carry. No safe queens in my house.

My EDC is a Hinderer XM-18 3". The XM series is tough as nails. If you can find a 3" for sale... right now they can be found for $700+. I bought mine 4 years ago for $600. I've heard as high as $1K at times. (New from Rick, they're about $400... but Rick doesn't make very many and LEOs, EMTs, Firefighters and Soldiers get first dibs.) It's built like a tank. I have no qualms about using it.

(Quick aside... Rick has designed a couple of knives for Zero Tolerance... ZT0550/ZT0560 and they're easy to find and cheaper than the XMs, but very tough, About $250. I own a ZT0560, and it's a tank too, at a smaller price point. The only problem, for me, is the blade on those is 3.75"... to big for my everyday usage.)

If I'm not rocking my Hinderer, I'm usually carrying a Strider PT-CC or a custom Bark River PSK.

(Another aside... for some knife "art"... go looking for a local knife maker named Sal Manaro. I had the pleasure of meeting him 2 years ago at a UsualSuspect meet-up in Queens. Helluva nice guy, and the knifes he makes are beautiful. All works of art... even the "plain" ones.)

Hey Fishnut... nice choice. Mike Stewart is a great guy. In fact, when I had my PSK made (CF scales, mosaic pins and moonglow inlay) Mike called personally after I ordered to double check the design and stuff. I can't recommend them enough.

Have a look around a website called usualsuspect.net. There are dudes (and dudettes) on that site who rock full custom Emersons or Full custom Striders (easily $2K+) on a regular basis.

There's a place in the world for razor blade and box cutters, to be sure. But there are those of us out there that like nice toys... er... tools. I don't own any knives over $1K... but everything I own, I do carry. No safe queens in my house.

My EDC is a Hinderer XM-18 3". The XM series is tough as nails. If you can find a 3" for sale... right now they can be found for $700+. I bought mine 4 years ago for $600. I've heard as high as $1K at times. (New from Rick, they're about $400... but Rick doesn't make very many and LEOs, EMTs, Firefighters and Soldiers get first dibs.) It's built like a tank. I have no qualms about using it.

(Quick aside... Rick has designed a couple of knives for Zero Tolerance... ZT0550/ZT0560 and they're easy to find and cheaper than the XMs, but very tough, About $250. I own a ZT0560, and it's a tank too, at a smaller price point. The only problem, for me, is the blade on those is 3.75"... to big for my everyday usage.)

If I'm not rocking my Hinderer, I'm usually carrying a Strider PT-CC or a custom Bark River PSK.

(Another aside... for some knife "art"... go looking for a local knife maker named Sal Manaro. I had the pleasure of meeting him 2 years ago at a UsualSuspect meet-up in Queens. Helluva nice guy, and the knifes he makes are beautiful. All works of art... even the "plain" ones.)

I have the ZT561 and it is very beast indeed. The good thing about Hinderers, Sebenzas, and other high end knives is

you can send them back in and they restore it to new free of charge. So you can beat up on it and just get it restored.

In my opinion that certainly helps justify the price tag.

Hey Fishnut... nice choice. Mike Stewart is a great guy. In fact, when I had my PSK made (CF scales, mosaic pins and moonglow inlay) Mike called personally after I ordered to double check the design and stuff. I can't recommend them enough.

Thanks I am really happy with Bark River and will definately get another one in the future!

that's why I love Ka-Bar knives

If that's what floats your boat go for it. There are those that use expensive knives on a regular basis but I think they are more the exception than the rule.

I carry a Chris reeve sebenza daily for work. It's used every day of the week and that's a $350 knife with a $100 custom carbon fiber scale I had made. The knife is beat to hell but to me the scratches just give it character. I guess if you're into knives it's not taboo to carry an expensive one. Hell in free states people regularly carry guns that cost serious cash (sometimes).

Although I will say... Since I've joined NJGF, I've decided to start selling some of my knives and start buying more guns LOL. out with the old and in with the new. 2 different hobbies really but guns are just too much fun. I was very limited on information and resources before I joined this site