Sign in to follow this  
pjd832

are personal reference forms required?

i just picked up p2p packet from my local police today...and up to today there have always been 2 sheets i had to get my references to fill out and sign ...asking basicaly if i was a drunk,drug addict,crazy,or a general danger if i had a firearm...along with a form to be filled out by my employer...and have read about others having issues where their references didnt recieve or pd says they never recieved these forms back...my question is are these forms required by law..and my pd now has changed their procedure and are mailing them ...or are they not a required form and is it possible they are no longer choosing to streamline/drop unnecessary forms

As far as i know only papers required are the p2p app and a mental health form and 2 references are contacted, all the contacting your employer mumbo jumbo is just that!

Same here even though when I got my first permit to purchase it was three references I had to put on there but not one of them were called and I got approved within 30 days (2010). Just picked up new paperwork and I see that it's now 2 references, wondering if they will be called this time. Is it different across PD's?

well it was always 2 individual reference forms in my town...and they were in the packet and i was responsible for getting them filled out...and returned with the other forms...and they were never called....ever...so being the references are on the actual application page i was hoping that that was what they would go by and not have changed to the worse practice of mailing out the forms they used to give us to get filled out....

Reference are required. It is up to the issuing PD as to how they get the reference. My local PD mails direct to references a standard form questionaire. Given the times, they want to make sure the references are legitimately responding without duress.

On another note regarding this topic, is it pertinent for the reference (or required for that matter) to be a current resident of NJ? Reason I ask is because I use my best friend who is an Army Ranger, stationed at Ft. Benning GA, but lives right across the state line in Alabama. Just curious. I used him before and had no issues but that was a couple years ago, I know things have changed since then regarding the "firearms" climate. The paperwork does not stipulate it.

When I was checking on the status of my p2p, the detective asked me if they were the same references as my original fpid. They were.

He said shouldn't be a problem.

They were never contacted second time around.

I guess that stuff is in my "permanent file" lol

As far as i know only papers required are the p2p app and a mental health form and 2 references are contacted, all the contacting your employer mumbo jumbo is just that!

I always thought the the "employer" field was intentionally put on there for armed guards. Over time, it just morphed into something everybody had to do because the law was unclear. But that is just my theory.

ok well the Lt confirmed that my" he was informed by the state police that they no longer are longer to require the seperate 2 reference forms..or employer verification form...either for me to have filled out or for them to mail...just list them on the actual application ........so someone must have complained..

On another note regarding this topic, is it pertinent for the reference (or required for that matter) to be a current resident of NJ? Reason I ask is because I use my best friend who is an Army Ranger, stationed at Ft. Benning GA, but lives right across the state line in Alabama. Just curious. I used him before and had no issues but that was a couple years ago, I know things have changed since then regarding the "firearms" climate. The paperwork does not stipulate it.

My new town requires that the 2 references are NJ residents (the other requirement is that they are not a municipal police officer in the town). It is mentioned on the cover sheet to the application packet. No such restriction in my last town.