dcp5674

Hi from Bergen County

Hi all. My name is Dave, I live in northwest Bergen County. I'm retired (injury related), and spend my time reading, surfing the web, making music (I play trombone/baritone) and raising my family of 4, aged 13 to 25. I used to shoot informally (anyone remember Ottens Shooting Range? I think it was in West Milford), but we decided not to have guns in the house with young kids. I wish I knew then what I know now! Anyway, my oldest daughter wants to be a cop, she has her B.S. in Criminal Justice from Seton Hall, so I decided to start shooting again with her. I had my ID card still, so that was no problem. Right now I have 2 handgun permits pending (and taking forever!) and want to start looking at long guns soon. Right now, I am gunless.

I guess the reason I found NJGF was with all the crap about changes in gun laws, possible confiscation, etc. I started looking around the web to see how much NJ gun laws had changed, and happened upon this forum. A lot of what I read scared the beejeebus out of me, and I found I needed a source of info close to home, so here I am. Thanks for letting me join, now I will sit back and try to absorb as much as I can about situation today, as opposed to 30 years ago.

Welcome to the Forum. Good luck on your daughter career path.

As far as having guns in the home, well can't change the past, but you sure can change the future as I see you are. I feel that all children should be taught how to respect, handle, shoot and care for firearms, after all they are the next generation of defense to support the 2A.

What area of LE is your daughter looking to get into, and where. Might see what they use issue and start with that for both of you. Cover 2 things at once, having fun with her as well as practicing with what may become her daily carry and you can never be too proficient.

Just a few things that came to mind as I was reading your post.

Welcome to the Forums fellow Bergenite! I recommend looking into getting a safe if you have a concern owning firearms with kids in the house. Teaching proper respect and safe handling is also a must.