BlackOps Badger

New trap and clay shotgun advice

I've recently become more interested in shooting clays. Never had much interest in it, but my friends do it a lot. Right now I have a little New England Arms 20ga single shot that I paid $75.00 for. We don't have anything fancy to throw clays. Just a little rinky dink 40 dollar thrower. What should I look for in a shotgun? I know I definitely want a SxS or an O/U. What barrel length should I be looking for? 26", 28", longer? I'm about to order a CZ Mallard. They seem like really nice guns, and hear nothing but great things about their rifles and pistols. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How much are you looking to spend? Side by side or over under's can be pretty expensive. I shoot clays just fine with my $300 Mossberg 500 pump. Come to one of the Shotgun Shootouts and try out a bunch of shotties before you spend a lot of money on something you think you want, the realize later a shotty half the price is just as fun and perhaps more versatile as the other.

There are a LOT of people that do better than fine with a cheap pump. Don't get caught-up in wanting an O/U or SxS, unless that is what you really, really want.

I have a nice O/U, a bunch of Semis, and a few Pumps. I actually usually average a higher score in Trap with my wifes 870 over my Browning O/U. :(

Two barrel guns are great for Sporting Clays when you want to have two different chokes. Again, many people do just fine with a single barrel. I see people doing fine with 20 gauge also!

How many rounds do you plan on shooting a day? You should also consider that. A semi will be easier on your shoulder, so will a heavier gun. I have a really nice recoil reduction setup on my O/U which make it feel easier than a semi.

Well, I dead set on a double barrel. Like I said. I have that lil 20ga. My dad has an 870 that i can use, and buddies that I shoot with have various pumps and semi's that I shoot. I've just always wanted a double, and I'm finally going to get one. I have around 700 to spend, so that's what I'm lookin at.

you don't have to spend a ton on O/U's .... i shoot pretty good with my $500 CZ Mallard O/U ... 12ga ... i love it ...i thought about spending more money on a nicer O/U like a Browning or Beretta, but i shoot fine with the CZ. Best i've done is 24/25 and hit 20+ on a majority of my rounds... I learned how it shoots, and know how to aim it... i am not disappointed with this shotgun at all...

i used to shoot with my Rem 870, but that has since been converted to a HD shotgun, so it's no good for trap... but i shot fine with that one also...

you are into getting a O/U, i say go for it, try the CZ's .. check out their lineup, they have a couple under $1000 ... i was also looking at a CZ Redhead, but haven't had time to go shopping for it...

Interesting. I just, in somewhat of an impulse, tonight bought a CZ Redhead Target . I guess I've been a bit disgruntled over not picking up some other firearms I wanted when I had the chance, and decided I wasn't going to wait any longer. Life is too short not to spend money.

If your thinking about a O/U check out the Stoger Condor. I picked one up at one of the big chain stores a few years back and I love it. You can find one for right around $400 (less if you wait for a sale). It's a great gun for the money.

Turkey makes a lot of shotguns. Huglu is probably what you are thinking of. They actually make CZ's line of double barrel shotguns if I'm not mistaken.

Kimber & S&W S/S's are Turkish-made. Both are out of production I believe but can be found now as used propositions.

My CZ Redhead Target by Huglu.

th_photo_zps725b4d6b.jpg

th_photo-2_zps8310a2d1.jpg

That is really nice.. good luck with it..

have you shot it yet? .. something i've seen on my own CZ shotgun, and have read on the internet: When you shoot and have extreme trouble breaking open the shotgun, check the shell where there firing pin hits, and see if there is a "drag" mark .. this means they didn't cut the firing pin correctly and it was to long..

it happened on my mallard, had to send it back to CZ, .. they took care of it, free of charge, minus the shipping charges.. and it's been great ever since ..

I have a Benelli Cordoba and I shot fine, but the other day at the range, I shot a Citori 725 Trap and got 20 and 23!! I think I'll be purchasing a Citori soon. I liked the adjustable comb too. Oh and it was a 32 inch barrel. Sweet gun

I have a really nice Browning 525 that I love for Sporting Clays. I will admit though that I typically shoot Trap better with my wifes 870. :( I average 20 with the Browning, 22 with the 870. I tend to over-swing the 525, it is a lot lighter than the 870.

I have a Benelli Cordoba and I shot fine, but the other day at the range, I shot a Citori 725 Trap and got 20 and 23!! I think I'll be purchasing a Citori soon. I liked the adjustable comb too. Oh and it was a 32 inch barrel. Sweet gun

I love my 725, second time shooting trap with it I shot a 23. It is by far the finest firearm I own.

I know my 525 is capable. I brought it to one of my Trap ranges one day, shot a 15, pulled out the Rem 1100, shot 23. I asked a really good shooter there to take the 525 for a spin. Gave him a box of shells and said show me how it's done. Well, he had never even held the gun before, hit 24 of 25, only missed one because he wanted to try something different. At that point I knew the gun wasn't the problem, the clown pulling the trigger was! I also went from using the upper barrel with a full choke to using the lower barrel with an Improved Mod choke, that helped things a lot. This shooter can use just about anything, he is good. He is the one that also uses the Huglu above a lot. He has a lot of different guns, he can break clays with any of them.

I am in a similar situation. Been shooting trap once borrowing a friends guns. I got hooked and would like to do again, but need to pickup a decent 1st shotgun. Actually had a chance to shoot pump, semi and OU on the same day. Actually it was with a group of friends that brounght extra guns for the event. From a newbie point of view i think the OU is the better gun for trap, and did best with one. I hated shooting with a pump amongst the others i had to try the same day. I thought it was too light, most felt recoil, and busy with pump action between shots. I did not mind the semi at all, and think it is a good choice for a multi purpose gun. Been looking for a good deal on a Ruger Red Label or Citori, but at todays market i will pass. Looking at a used Baretta 390 or 391 or Benelli Montefeltro or any skeet or trap model semi from other manufacturers like Remington and Smith and Wesson and the market is not good for a used buyer. I like CZ as well and think they make good guns at a decent value. I have pretty much decided on the CZ912 for a 1st clay gun that is multi purpose. At <$500 it is hard to beat new vs around the same price or more for some old beat up used semi's right now. If i get more into it i will have more time to figure out what the next more specialized gun purchase will be.

I like CZ as well and think they make good guns at a decent value. I have pretty much decided on the CZ912 for a 1st clay gun that is multi purpose. At <$500 it is hard to beat new vs around the same price or more for some old beat up used semi's right now. If i get more into it i will have more time to figure out what the next more specialized gun purchase will be.

I have both a 912 and 720. They're nice. The 912 has great stock and is very soft to shoot.

It's a budget semi-auto, but personally I believe CZ is undercutting the price to push into the shotgun market - I do believe you get slightly better value.

After about 500 rounds I did have a problem with double feeding on the 912; if I tried to load more than 2 shells, on occasion, the second and third would both enter the chamber. I called CZ, they sent a pre-paid mailing label, and I had my gun back in two weeks. They replaced the gas tube and some other parts "US Made" stuff and have had no problems.

I have both a 912 and 720. They're nice. The 912 has great stock and is very soft to shoot.

It's a budget semi-auto, but personally I believe CZ is undercutting the price to push into the shotgun market - I do believe you get slightly better value.

After about 500 rounds I did have a problem with double feeding on the 912; if I tried to load more than 2 shells, on occasion, the second and third would both enter the chamber. I called CZ, they sent a pre-paid mailing label, and I had my gun back in two weeks. They replaced the gas tube and some other parts "US Made" stuff and have had no problems.

Shoulda bought a Benelli patty! Mine run like workhorses no hiccups!