gleninjersey

Started Application Process Today

i also had our HR person fax it back.. there was about a week and a half after they said they sent and our person said they never received.. PD faxed it directly to our HR person and HR person faxed back in 15 minutes and my approval came in less than a week later... although, they had also been waiting on the monmouth cty mental health check, which was ultimately the last thing they received..

i suppose it does depend on the town.. i only said this because my wife just received one from Shrewsbury for someone she works with and it was done on specific township letterhead.. (oh, and the person applied last Tuesday and she got the reference letter on Friday, so apparently Shrewsbury sends them out quite quickly)

That is weird, my town did not care about checking employment, just the two reference letters from non-family in NJ.

Just goes to show you how the standards are seemingly made up by the town as they see fit.

I had read a few posts saying that asking for employment verification is not necessary and unlawful. But I guess we are at the mercy of our towns if they ask for it.

Called PD & spoke with clerk once 2 weeks ago and I was told they would inquire about my 2nd reference who hasn't received the ppwk. Called this past week and was told they have added a second officer to process FIDs due to volume (and delays I'm assuming).  2nd reference still hasn't received ppwk.......

The 2nd officer called my other personal reference and took the information over the phone & then called me to let me know it was done and that all he had to do was to verify that my fingerprinting was done, which I did back in January.  He said I should be hearing from them shortly to come get my FID.  Sound like I'm finally in the home stretch!.......I hope!

Now to really start narrowing down my selection which gun I'm going to get.  Has anyone ever bought a used gun?  Do you save much money?  I"m leaning towards a revolver so if I go the used gun route is there anything in particular I should look at when examining a used gun?  Thanks in advance for your input.

Just picked up my FID (Firearm I.D.) and pistol permit!

So from initial contact to now 4.5 months.  I think it would have bee quicker if the first officer had returned my phone calls or taken some initiative.  Once the second officer as assigned to help out with FIDs, everything was done in less than week. 

Now the hard work really begins....What to buy, what to buy!?  :)

Just picked up my FID (Firearm I.D.) and pistol permit!

So from initial contact to now 4.5 months. I think it would have bee quicker if the first officer had returned my phone calls or taken some initiative. Once the second officer as assigned to help out with FIDs, everything was done in less than week.

Now the hard work really begins....What to buy, what to buy!? :)

Buying is easy. The three week wait for the NICS, now that's where the real fun comes in. Maybe you can find something you want in a private sale and skip all the hassle and bring your gun home the same day.

Buying is easy. The three week wait for the NICS, now that's where the real fun comes in. Maybe you can find something you want in a private sale and skip all the hassle and bring your gun home the same day.

How do I go about finding a gun through a private sale?  I'm very interested in the Smith & Wesson 686 Plus in a 6 inch or maybe 4 inch barrel.  I know one place that had a 4 inch as of last Sunday.  They were asking $820 for it new which seems to be about what they are going for.  Being a 1st time buyer I'm a little leery of purchasing used ....but at the same time I understand that it is difficult to mess up a .357 revolver as they are built to last....unless it was really abused/never cleaned.

How do I go about finding a gun through a private sale?  I'm very interested in the Smith & Wesson 686 Plus in a 6 inch or maybe 4 inch barrel.  I know one place that had a 4 inch as of last Sunday.  They were asking $820 for it new which seems to be about what they are going for.  Being a 1st time buyer I'm a little leery of purchasing used ....but at the same time I understand that it is difficult to mess up a .357 revolver as they are built to last....unless it was really abused/never cleaned.

I cant help with the private sale question but I can tell you that used guns are like used cars, some are well take care if while others have had back yard mechanics work on them and to some bad things that you wont find out about until its too late OR you know what to look for. Buying used from a reputable dealer is also a plus especially if they have a "real" gunsmith working onsite, not some guy who learned from youtube videos