rightisright

"You're not ready for SHTF if you don't reload" MYTH!

So, you are reusing your primers, bullets and powder, too? :blink:

Every reloader among us should be saving his spent primers.

A "chemist" at some future date will be reloading them.

They don't take up very much space (ziplok freezer bags) and are easy to keep sorted by size and type.

Don't be surprised when that fat lez who occupies DHS declares primers to be explosive devices that require Federal Explosive licenses to possess.

Can you get reasonably priced reloading components now? I thought panic buying raises all boats equally?

There appears to not be the reloading component problems we had during the last rush. Still tons of primers and powder sitting around on shelves at normal prices with no limits. Some high quality projectiles are a little scarce (e.g., Sierra #2200 308 168gr HPBT MatchKing), but tons of others are available (and actually, just got a few thousand of those projectiles delivered today.

I think primer companies (CCI, Federal, etc) have been ramping up production for the past 4 years.

Every reloader among us should be saving his spent primers.

A "chemist" at some future date will be reloading them.

They don't take up very much space (ziplok freezer bags) and are easy to keep sorted by size and type.

Don't be surprised when that fat lez who occupies DHS declares primers to be explosive devices that require Federal Explosive licenses to possess.

Never thought about it but what material are primers made of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The cups and anvils are brass.

Tumble them clean and separate the anvils from the crud.

Easy to flatten out the firing pin dent with a punch.

Put a drop of liquid priming compound in the cup, set an anvil in and let it all dry.

Voila!

Live primers again

I like reloading but making another hobby in a hobby in a hobby is a little more than I want. Was thinking there're brass but wasn't sure. Ill probably just add them the my brass scrap buckets and bring them in for cash with the rest of it. They do weigh a little bit when you have a bunch, think I probably have about 15k of them saved. I know not that many as some of you but I only started reloading a year and a half ago.

The only reason that I'm not reloading my own ammo is because its not my own house. I know a couple people that are on the same boat. It might not sound like a good enough reason, but obviously I'm not the only one that feels that way.

That is an excuse not a reason..

Data....please!

:)

Nick, they are the old wooden matches (special head compound ones) we use to use all the time years back, they were easily found then, I don't see them at all these days, but I'd bet a Army/Navy store or similar would have them. We use to use them as a backup to our Zippo's when they ran out of fuel, could light your cig with one hand by flicking your thumb nail on the head.

There appears to not be the reloading component problems we had during the last rush. Still tons of primers and powder sitting around on shelves at normal prices with no limits. Some high quality projectiles are a little scarce (e.g., Sierra #2200 308 168gr HPBT MatchKing), but tons of others are available (and actually, just got a few thousand of those projectiles delivered today.

I think primer companies (CCI, Federal, etc) have been ramping up production for the past 4 years.

This..not all that long ago there was a run on Primers and some places were showing backorders in the Tens of Millions of primers. So far it doesnt look too bad for most "Standard" cartridges, although a friend who loads 7.62X39 says hes having problems finding .311 bullets.

I did'nt see anyone mention this, but if someone does manage to rob you in those desperate days, they will more likely take your boxes of ready made ammo, than be troubled with your reloading stuff...if they even know what it is.....

someone did say that it was good to have multiple options

Ammo is ammo. If you have the ability to stock a lot of it I don't see how that is better or worse than someone who has reloading gear.

I'd rather have 1000s of rounds of ready made factory ammo than enough components to reload 1000s of rounds. Only reason I don't is cause I can't afford it. If I was wealthy I wouldn't bother reloading.

I think it's not a perfect solution. But to have the knowledge of how to do it, and the ability would be useful.

Let's say you can't get factory ammo, but you are somehow able to get reloading supplies, just having the experience in it will be more beneficial than if you don't have any experience.

As with any SHTF situation, having a broad base of knowledge applicable to any potential situation that may arise is important. Not to mention that reloading helps you to better understand bullet characteristics, and how they behave when fired.

In the end, reloading may not be crucial, for the fact that it may not be possible to acquire components, but knowledge, and the ability to do so helps you be prepared for situations that could potentially arise.

Ammo is ammo. If you have the ability to stock a lot of it I don't see how that is better or worse than someone who has reloading gear.

I'd rather have 1000s of rounds of ready made factory ammo than enough components to reload 1000s of rounds. Only reason I don't is cause I can't afford it. If I was wealthy I wouldn't bother reloading.

I agree, ammo is ammo and for HD/SD I use factory SD/HD ammo and not reloads, but for having ammo on hand ill say reloads BS. Factory I can do close to a 3:1 ratio of reloads vs. factory, so for the same cost I would rather have between 2500-3000 rounds vs 1000 rounds at the ready. ;)

Being self sufficient beyond that in a true shtf scenario is something else .... For instance.... Those that say they will just hunt for food....ok.... Shtf grid is offline how are you going to store your meat? How many KNOW how to salt cure etc....same with fish

This.

While we're at it, know how to diagnose and treat dysentery or cholera? (Without Google?)

Moral is, reloading is a hobby, and a very cool hobby, but like every other hobby, it is entirely dependent on commercially manufactured components. Reloading can yield extremely accurate loads, but only after lots and lots and lots of practice and study and trial and error. It's impossible to pick up a press with no experience and crank out match-grade ammo.

Remember what happened during Sandy. If you want to learn useful skills for disaster situations, take some first-aid courses and stock up on basics. Oh and playing cards, because real-life disasters are awfully boring.