SgtToadette

Firearmageddon: Lessons Learned.

6000 rnds is an awful lot. What would you do with it if SHTF I mean you cant really bug out with 40,000 rounds of ammo.

And if you got in a situation where you needed it you would be giving it away to fellow defenders.

I think this isn't necessarily a SHTF / prepper kind of thing, it's a "keep shooting and having fun during ammo crisis" thing...

I think this isn't necessarily a SHTF / prepper kind of thing, it's a "keep shooting and having fun during ammo crisis" thing...

40,000 is a lot of ammo, but if you have a family, and need to arm each member, that ammo would be spread amongst them.

But all jokes aside, 8mm mauser hasn't been too terrible to find--not that I can afford it on my college student with a girlfriend ramen budget.

That added in with my brother stealing a paycheck of mine, and a bunch of my other stuff, and me being out of work for a few weeks due to my ruptured spleen, I can't afford it anyway.

Wish I would have gotten those 8mm Lee dies for Christmas I asked for :(

40,000 is a lot of ammo, but if you have a family, and need to arm each member, that ammo would be spread amongst them.

But all jokes aside, 8mm mauser hasn't been too terrible to find--not that I can afford it on my college student with a girlfriend ramen budget.

That added in with my brother stealing a paycheck of mine, and a bunch of my other stuff, and me being out of work for a few weeks due to my ruptured spleen, I can't afford it anyway.

Wish I would have gotten those 8mm Lee dies for Christmas I asked for :(

You could always ditch the girlfriend and sell a kidney. :laugh:

As much as I love a good post-apocalypse survival story, my lessons are the same as after Sandy. Stockpile so you can enjoy a hobby, but don't expect to bug out with 5,000 rounds of anything, even 22, and live off the land or something.

As for common calibers, it's a mixed blessing. If all your pistols are, say, 9mm, its easy. If they're a mix of 357 sig, 38, 45, 9, 10, 380, etc., its more difficult to stock any meaningful amount of traning and defense calibers for that many types, unless you're rich... and if you are, ammo shortages are a moot point because you can pay 10x market price with ease.

I'm going to concentrate on getting two more specific rifles. I'm also going to concentrate on ammo and reloading components. I'm going to work on accessories for other guns I have. I will stop buying guns just to build my collection.

Sounds like someone had an intervention, lol.

For the most part, the only people that have been nervous/upset/frustrated/scared about the current ammo situation is people who are unprepared. You can see the ones that are prepared because most of these people are still shooting hundreds of rounds at the range and not really worrying about re-stocking up. But, that goes for the unprepared shooters as well since they shoot what they have and buy a couple more boxes when they can.

There are numerous groups of people that fall into this category whether unwillingly, voluntarily, or unable. But there are numerous lessons learned during this time, and I'm sure, and hope, most of them realize these lessons.

I'm going to concentrate on getting two more specific rifles. I'm also going to concentrate on ammo and reloading components. I'm going to work on accessories for other guns I have. I will stop buying guns just to build my collection.
at some point i hope to adopt this mentality..just not yet

For preperartion for a true SHTF type of deal your best bet would be to have some firearms in the most common calibers (and a stash a large statsh of ammunition), firearms in less common but still very availible at most stores (with a good supply of ammo to go along), and some firearms in rare calibers (which if you have ammunition for great if not not a big loss)

The reason being, in a true all ammunition is going to be sold out. less common calibers may last a little bit longer given you a little more time to purchase more but even that won't last long. People will end up buying ammunition eveen though they do not have firearms in that caliber since at the very least it is a tradeable item. By having lots of ammo in some common calibers but firearms in many different calibers puts you at a great advantage. you could than get faverable trades with a guy that needs ammo for in a common caliber. For example guy one only has a .308 rifle and no .308 ammunition for it, but has 100 rds of .303. Guy two for example has both a .303 and .308 rifle with plenty of .308 ammunition. since guy two is in the beter position he can ask for the 100 rds of .303 for 60 rds of .308.

which is kind of ironic considering they were in short supply when they where originaly desperatly needed

Gotta love it. My buddy laughs at me since he can shoot his Mosin every day of the week while I am scrounging to find even range ammo.

Gotta love it. My buddy laughs at me since he can shoot his Mosin every day of the week while I am scrounging to find even range ammo.

Yeah, I know the feeling 8mm Mauser isn't rare, but it isn't common either. Unlike a cheap Mosin, one tends to be a little more hesitant about putting corrosive ammo through anything that fires 8mm since they tend to cost more.

And new production non-corrosive Mauser ammo was about $1 per round previously, which is pretty expensive. I just looked on CTD a moment ago, and it's about $2 a round.