NorthJersey

Working on an FFL for a New Location in Sussex County

Reading all this, I can only imagine what you have to go through to become a FFL.

You can charge more, but please do treat your otherwise law abiding customers in timely fashion and fairly.

I only say this, coming out of nightmare experience with a FFL.

And good luck with your business.

Thanks. A few things you can expect from me:

The Good:

Honesty--You'll always know the exact status of your order, and I won't make up stories about the firearms I sell.

Flexibility and an open mind-- I once called a shop in PA (one that used to operate in NJ) that refused to sell me a Saiga 12 because they are "based on an AK47 platform" and "not legal in New Jersey." I protested that plenty of people owned them and that I had purchased them in New Jersey in the past, but the manager didn't want to hear it. I will always confirm facts conclusively before I give you a final answer. I'll also consider trades.

Competitive prices-- If you're willing to work with me, I'll work with you. I would like volume as opposed to a few "one off scores"

Friendliness--We've all met gun a shop hero behind the counter who treats people like they're an inconvenience. I won't make you feel uncomfortable unless you don't have a sense of humor.

The Bad:

Limited hours--I'm not going to cater to walk-in traffic. I leave that role to my competitors down the road.

Limited knowledge of manufacturing processes, metallurgy, ballistics, and the minutiae of gunsmithing-- I'll do my best to answer your questions, and I'll sub out the smithing work to competent partners.

Very limited inventory--I am a small-time operator, but I'll try to stock a few popular firearms and a few "interesting guns." Give me some time to get some momentum.

A location that is a little remote for many forum members. The upside is that the municipality is gun friendly.

The Good:

Honesty--You'll always know the exact status of your order, and I won't make up stories about the firearms I sell.

Flexibility and an open mind-- I once called a shop in PA (one that used to operate in NJ) that refused to sell me a Saiga 12 because they are "based on an AK47 platform" and "not legal in New Jersey." I protested that plenty of people owned them and that I had purchased them in New Jersey in the past, but the manager didn't want to hear it. I will always confirm facts conclusively before I give you a final answer. I'll also consider trades.

Congratulations and good luck.

You can charge little more but keep that flexibility and open mind. You dont have to risk your license but do give due attention when your customer needs.

I wish I had a FFL who may charge a bit more but keeps open mind.

Nice congrats once you get your FFL it also = ccw for all 50 states!

Cool, I've started carrying just because the FFL is basically a lock right now . . . . just kidding, just kidding! I'm pretty sure most FFLs in the state do not have a carry permit. You can carry on your business premises but not in your vehicle, or across the dark parking lot at the UPS customer hub, or anywhere else you might get mugged and have your cash and merchandise stolen.

Congratulations and good luck.

You can charge little more but keep that flexibility and open mind. You dont have to risk your license but do give due attention when your customer needs.

I wish I had a FFL who may charge a bit more but keeps open mind.

Absolutely. I'm willing to accept inconvenience and to do a little research for customers. For example, I wouldn't dismiss something like magazine rebuild kits out of hand; I would first look for conclusive evidence that I can sell them (read through statute or case law) and contact the firearms unit as a last resort if I couldn't find the answer. I welcome information from customers too. Unlike the guys in PA who refused to sell me a Saiga 12 because it was "based on an AK47 action."

Good for you OP. Good luck, i may be looking into something like this in the future, but i think it may be best to wait all this crazy hysteria to pan out 1st...

I'm afraid the process will be a lot harder after the madness.

So far, so good. I'm just waiting for my State Police inspection. The safe is in place and the security system is mostly installed. I'm still looking for a display/showcase solution. My ATF application will go in as soon as they send me fingerprint cards.

I still haven't been charged the $200 for the FFL. My state retailer's license is here.

On a different note, what information do you folks record in your ammo and AWB ledgers? Say for example, I want to record the receipt of 100 twenty-round magazines; will I need to make an entry for the disposition of each individual magazine?

I still haven't been charged the $200 for the FFL. My state retailer's license is here.

On a different note, what information do you folks record in your ammo and AWB ledgers? Say for example, I want to record the receipt of 100 twenty-round magazines; will I need to make an entry for the disposition of each individual magazine?

Take it to the Vendor Section.

Ooops. Nevermind

is considered PA, we have a 2nd house there.

Well, I guess at this point revealing my location won't be an issue. I'm in an office building in Augusta (right around the State Fairgrounds, where 15 meets 206). We're a stone's throw from Skylands Sport Shop, the State Police Barracks, and the Chatterbox Cafe.

Well, I guess at this point revealing my location won't be an issue. I'm in an office building in Augusta (right around the State Fairgrounds, where 15 meets 206). We're a stone's throw from Skylands Sport Shop, the State Police Barracks, and the Chatterbox Cafe.

LOL, that's EXACTLY where I imagined you'd be... I buy from skylands and simon peter but more choice up here can't hurt.