njtta150

Joined Easton Fish and Game

So any tips or inside scoop on anything I need to know before my first trip out there?

Just looking for any advice that will help make my visit more enjoyable.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

So any tips or inside scoop on anything I need to know before my first trip out there?

Just looking for any advice that will help make my visit more enjoyable.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Careful with your speed in the 25mph zone. Remember to bring targets and staple gun. Large piece of cardboard or plywood to attach targets to will keep them from blowing around too much on the pistol range. Always check the calendar on the website before you go as there are closures sometimes for training.

Good sandwiches across the street.

Where? At the gas station? If so, yes they do have good sandwiches.

Bring a stapler,

wear boots that you won't mind getting dirty at the rifle range

Make sure you have your membership paper out or on you

And did I mention bring a stapler for your targets. (I didn't have one when I went the first time)

See you there one of these days, enjoy

Send j0n a PM to include you in the EFGA subforum so you read and post in that section.

In addition to what everyone said above make sure you can find the range if this is your first trip:

This is the google address

2594–2598 Redington Rd E

Hellertown‎ Pennsylvania‎ 18055

United States

....oh and do stop at SARCO or Heritage Guild since you ll be there anyway.

Even more important, bring staples for your staple gun! And check your reserve before you take the walk of shame back to your bench from 100 yds with an empty stapler and targets in your hand.

Hahaha, ohh and don't forget your stapler...

Don't forget to breathe a sigh of relief when you pass over the Delaware River and enter the United States of America.

Also, don't forget to get your Florida carry permit so you can carry once you arrive on the PA side. Remember PA law is similar to NJ law in that you can't have guns in the car unless you are going to and from the range, etc., HOWEVER, if you have a carry permit then you can have guns whenever you want over there, and Florida permits are accepted.

There is a Wal-Mart if you drive one exit further down Route 78 and then go north for a bit, they sell ammo and supplies.

An hour further down Route 78 is Cabelas, which if you have not yet been to is definitely worth the trip.

If you get to the range and find the gate is closed and locked, it is your lucky day, you have the place to yourself.

The gas station has great sandwiches and a good bathroom and awful gas pumps, they take forever to fill a tank and trip out all the time. Get your gas somewhere else.

The final road down to the range after you get on the private road, make a right hand turn, and pass under Route 78, is a 25 MPH speed limit and sometimes there's a cop car waiting there. Slow down going down that road.

Not sure if you plan to use the shotgun range too, but if you do, bring some 2x4s just in case. The ones there have been shot to bits so you can't even mount any cardboard or targets up. Happened to me twice already. My last trip, I found a branch long enough to mount the cardboard and targets to. Next time, I'll remember to bring some with me and leave them on the side if someone did come by to fix them.

Follow the rules for a cold range. When someone calls for one, mag out, empty chamber and bolt open or empty shell sticking out of the port. Don't step past the red line on the floor till the range is hot again.

Sign the log in book for all ranges you attend. I have a tendency to forget while setting up and have been called out by the RO a few times.

Be courteous to fellow members and follow the 1hr rule if it's busy and all the benches are full. I've never had that issue ever as there was always a bench free for someone, but it is in the rules. It's a very social environment with very cool members with cool toys and runs based on the cooperation and safety awareness by all members. Don't want to taint the place with a bad safety record.

Always aim down range. I don't feel comfortable when someone next to me sweeps me with the muzzle, empty or not. I always try to be aware of where my muzzle's at for the safety of my fellow colleagues. Aim up or down if your pulling your gear out of port to put away. Just simple logical stuff.

If you see something not kosher, say something. If an RO is not present, pretty much everyone plays the role. I reasonably won't be offended if the member next to me was pointing out something that can possibly become a bad situation.

Have a ball. It's a great place. Far from me, but always enjoyable every time I go.

Is there a way to go lookee see when the weather warms up a bit? It's an hour fifeteen away from me, so it's not too bad. And membership is not too bad either. I would be interested in joining, for pistol mainly, some rifle but not too much. I don't have any shooting from the bench gear. I don't want to join blindly.

Is there a way to go lookee see when the weather warms up a bit? It's an hour fifeteen away from me, so it's not too bad. And membership is not too bad either. I would be interested in joining, for pistol mainly, some rifle but not too much. I don't have any shooting from the bench gear. I don't want to join blindly.

You can always go with someone that has a membership and a guest pass to give it a try. I usually go on the weekend. I don't know when I'll be going the next time, but post something up and coordinate with someone. If there's something in line with my schedule, you can tag along. Also, first yr members is not that expensive and renewals are even cheaper. My first trip pretty much paid for itself compared to going to a range that charges by the hour. The time to drive there is my biggest gripe so I usually plan to stay for a while when I go.

Not to jack this post but may be relevant to the OP. Most ROs there are really friendly, but there's this one that just seems to wake up on the wrong side of the bed everyday. I know they volunteer their time, but this guy just seems annoyed all the time. He always looks at everyone like they did something wrong. I usually go Sundays and bump into him on those days.

Just curious if others have had the same encounter.

Careful with your speed in the 25mph zone.

This. But something I noticed on my last trip there...that spot off to the right after the overpass(going down the hill) now has concrete barriers...cops cant sit back in there now. Still maintain the 25 mph speed limit though.

not to hijack the thread but, from my understanding there is a gong on the rifle range. But you are not allowed to shoot any other steel targets or spinners here? can you shoot those orange bouncing target things? Or where can you shoot these things and other non paper targets?

Not to jack this post but may be relevant to the OP. Most ROs there are really friendly, but there's this one that just seems to wake up on the wrong side of the bed everyday. I know they volunteer their time, but this guy just seems annoyed all the time. He always looks at everyone like they did something wrong. I usually go Sundays and bump into him on those days.

Are you talking about an RO or the other guy that seems to work there? He drives an older white pickup I believe. He may be some sort of maintenance guy as I often see him playing around in the dumpster by the pistol range. I always throw out a wave or say hello to the guy but he just looks at me like I have two heads or something. The last time I was there I was on the shotgun range and he pulled up in his truck right next to the port-o-potties and stared at me for a few minutes. As soon as I was finished he started yelling at me for not signing the book yet. I told him I was waiting until I finished since it was pouring rain when I began and I didn't want to get the book soaked if I could help it. According to him that was a very unfriendly thing for me to say and that there was no reason to get mad at him. WTF? He positioned himself right between myself and my car. As soon as I signed the book and began walking towards my car he jumped out of the way as if I was going to go after him or something. As I loaded my car and got ready to leave he just kept staring at me. The guys behavior seemed strange to me. Anyone ever interact with him? Is he a bit off or something? If he is, a shooting range is not the place for him to be hanging out.

That's the guy. He was staring at me and my friend numerous times like we don't belong here. Always makes us feel like we're doing something wrong. I clipped my badge where it wasn't easily visible one time and he was telling me to wear my badge visibly. After my encounter with him, I make sure I follow every rule there, but he always looks for something to gripe about. Nice that I'm not the only person there that feels harassed by this guy. There was one time we were at the rifle range and he was using the leaf blower around us. I'm trying to pop a few more at the 100yd before dusk, and he was kicking dust around me. After the delay from him, he told us we better pack it up for the day. Just wanted to empty out my mag on some fresh targets I put up. Maybe he is one of the maintenance guys. Don't know, but he acts like a RO telling everyone to read the rules.

Thanks for the tips guys. Don't worry I have done the walk of shame before at Cherry Ridge when I changed a tartget and had only 1 staple left. Didn't even have extra with me.

Now I keep a box in my range bag lol.

Whats with the "Don't throw your guns" some inside joke?

ive had one worse happen, once i set up on the rifle range at cherry ridge. i set up the target stand and targets. get back they call the line hot again. i dont even get to take a shot and my target frame tips over the colapsable legs just collapsed, they were tightened with pliers too but they just didnt seem to holed it up anymore.

yea the worst part was waiting 30 minuted to go take it down because the guys wouldnt do a ceasefire for it. so i sat waited for 30 minutes and packed up and left since i was so pissed off.

That's messed up. It takes 2 minutes to run out and fix a stand. Jerks.

Exactly what Johnny said, that guy is the maintenance guy and obviously shoots there as well.

He does have a pissed off FACE all the time, he does like to sneak around and try to catch people doing something illegal. I caught him once peeking thru the pistol range window while people was inside shooting. He never bothered me just yet, but I do say good morning or good afternoon to him or a simple wave to keep him in my good side. You have nothing to worry about with him unless you are doing something illegal because he will catch YOU. Sneaky sneaky, he reminds me of the butler from mr. Deeds. :)

The sneaky always pissed off guy everyone is talking about is Walt. He's a great guy, has probably forgotten more about firearms and shooting than any of us will ever learn. If you ever sit down or stop and actually talk to him about shooting or firearms, he's an encyclopedia and always has good advice. He's just doing his job, maintaining the grounds and looking out for any body not following the rules. He definitely does look pissed off alot of the time, but thats just his normal face lol As another poster has said, you have nothing to worry about with him as long as you're following the rules. Numerous times I've shot at the rifle range til just before dusk, as soon as Walt shows up I'll ask if he needs help with anything. Whether its changing target boards or taking down targets anyone's left up. I suggest you all should do the same. The only way EFGA will stay as good as it is, is if everyone pitches in to keep it safe and clean.

To the OP asking for advice for your first time....I'd confirm that yes the sandwiches at Pops Kitchen and Tap room (the gas station) are delicious, definitely read all the range rules (which are posted at every range), definitely sign in at every range, stay behind the red line when the range is cold, pay attention to sunset (calenders with sunrise and sunset times are also posted at each range), police your brass, take down your targets when you're finished, always bring your eye and ear protection, staple gun, targets and target backers, and above all be safe and have fun. Oh and definitely make it a point to spot at Heritage Guild and Sarco if you have time and they're both open. Just be careful at Heritage of the big tall behemoth salesman named Harley. He'll probably talk you into buying something. But you'll most likely say, "why didn't I buy this sooner?" when you walk out of there haha

To poster asking about steel gongs at the rifle range..yes sometimes there are gongs. Most of the time there aren't though, which I have yet to figure out why. Same goes for the gongs at the 25 yard pistol range. They're not there all the time. Sometimes other shooters will bring their own steel targets to hang at the rifle range, and of course they take them home when they're done. The steel targets that are there all the time are the angle iron steel plates at the 50ft .22 range. I love shooting those and they're always available to shoot. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the other "mysterious" steel gongs can chime in here.

yea the worst part was waiting 30 minuted to go take it down because the guys wouldnt do a ceasefire for it. so i sat waited for 30 minutes and packed up and left since i was so pissed off.

This is why I don't go to Cherry Ridge range. It's ridiculous. In Easton, they let people go down the range when they all agree to, not on a fixed schedule. In Easton they don't waste your time.