Kaiser7

Just kicking around ideas about what handgun I'd like to get

Not 21 yet, but I will be in a few weeks, and eventually I'd like to get a handgun. Now I love the Five-seveN, but with 5.7mm ammo hard to come-by and expensive, that may not be a smart idea. I also like the Sig P226, and P229, but I have no clue how much they cost during non-panic buying.

Or if there are any other recommendations people have, let me know. Unlike rifles, I don't know too much handguns.

Have you fondled or shot anything? Seems you want a pistiol. A Five-Seven definitely not for the typical college kid budget! Nice thing about Sigs is that they are plentiful! Even now I can walk into shops and find both new and used Sigs still in the cases. Heck, older Sigs are really what you want in most cases, and the P226 has been produced in unbelieveable number. Another great first pistol is a Beretta 92, also very plentiful.

Have you fondled or shot anything? Seems you want a pistiol. A Five-Seven definitely not for the typical college kid budget! Nice thing about Sigs is that they are plentiful! Even now I can walk into shops and find both new and used Sigs still in the cases. Heck, older Sigs are really what you want in most cases, and the P226 has been produced in unbelieveable number. Another great first pistol is a Beretta 92, also very plentiful.

Excellent to hear! I've fondled a few P226s, and P229s, I like them quite a bit. The 5-7 is just awesome, but I know there's no way I could afford it.

I would have expected the P226 to be expensive and harder to find. I do like revolvers too, I've never fired one though. I really don't like snub-nose revolvers.

Again, I really don't know crap about handguns, I know everyone talks about CZ-this-and-that, which I believe are Czech, but I wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

Excellent to hear! I've fondled a few P226s, and P229s, I like them quite a bit. The 5-7 is just awesome, but I know there's no way I could afford it.

I would have expected the P226 to be expensive and harder to find. I do like revolvers too, I've never fired one though. I really don't like snub-nose revolvers.

Again, I really don't know crap about handguns, I know everyone talks about CZ-this-and-that, which I believe are Czech, but I wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

Well Rowan youngster - growing up, there was no "Rowan" just Glassboro State (HA!) - if you want to really handle and fire some Sigs, wheels, and maybe even the FN (though $2/rd is getting nuts) before buying, we might be able to work that out.

CZ 75B, if you can find one. Actually, add that qualifier to the end of pretty much every semi-auto right now except maybe 1911s. If you can find one.

There's always revolvers!

you can say that again! you nailed it! got three pistol permits in the mail today and went to my local shop... all they had was a few blocks, some 22's and a whole case full of 1911's lol

Count me in for another college student budget constrained budget. Turning 21 this Sunday, plan on going to Ready Aim Fire and renting a few handguns (they seem to be the only ones having the guns I want in the calibers I want). Looking at 9mm, most likely a USP, though that's the upper range of my budget. I've been saving up for a while, but still.

Or if there are any other recommendations people have, let me know. Unlike rifles, I don't know too much handguns.

I have a Beretta 92FS, PX4 Compact, 1911 and Kel Tec PF9 if you want to shoot them. PM me if you are interested. You are close enough to meet at a range in Philadelphia if you are interested and you can rent whatever you want there.

Last I checked, Beretta PX4 Compacts were still just $510 from Arms and Ammo.

Well Rowan youngster - growing up, there was no "Rowan" just Glassboro State (HA!) - if you want to really handle and fire some Sigs, wheels, and maybe even the FN (though $2/rd is getting nuts) before buying, we might be able to work that out.

I would like that, but I'd definitely wait till after the rush to shoot a 5-7. Though, the price I've seen on 5-7s is only about $100 more than that of the P226. Then again, I never have a problem buying used, if it's in good shape. I'm surprised they haven't caught on in free states. I mean, 28 round magazines, accurate, and pretty awesome.

Count me in for another college student budget constrained budget. Turning 21 this Sunday, plan on going to Ready Aim Fire and renting a few handguns (they seem to be the only ones having the guns I want in the calibers I want). Looking at 9mm, most likely a USP, though that's the upper range of my budget. I've been saving up for a while, but still.

Wow, our birthdays are pretty close, mine is the 19th. I have no clue what round I want. For some reason, I have a natural tendency to want guns in less common calibers. I really wanted a 6.5 AR, I have an 8mm mauser rifle, I'm not sure if I want a 9mm pistol, I feel like I'd prefer a 10mm.

For some reason, I feel like all the common calibers suck, and that the best rounds never catch on haha.

I would like that, but I'd definitely wait till after the rush to shoot a 5-7. Though, the price I've seen on 5-7s is only about $100 more than that of the P226. Then again, I never have a problem buying used, if it's in good shape. I'm surprised they haven't caught on in free states. I mean, 28 round magazines, accurate, and pretty awesome.

HA-HA! You haven't seen what the scare prices are for the 5-7! You can buy a pair of 226s! The 5-7 has a cult following. I now have a pair of IOMs.

I blow past Glassboro State - err, Rowan - all the time flying down 55. Heck, I've hired 3 Rowan engineering majors in the last 18 months. My home range is just 15 minutes from Glassboro, so it's definitely doable.

I forgot to ask... what do you want to use the gun for? Home defense? Target shooting? Fun?

I know you are a college student, so one good option for you is a .22 pistol - they are fairly inexpensive and so is the ammo.

You may want to consider the cheaper guns such as a Charter Pathfinder or Taurus Tracker in .22. You can pick those up for $300-$400. Or look at the Ruger SR-22 (if you can find it) or Beretta NEOS.

Again keeping in mind cost for a college student, If you want to upgrade to 9mm and have the cash to feed it, seriously consider some of the offerings from Taurus such as the PT709. I don't own one, but it's light and thin and probably in your price range for a college student. You could use it as a carry gun if you get your Florida permit and go to PA. The Kel Tec PF9 is in your price range, but it's no fun to shoot.

Or go used with a 9mm. Look for a used Smith and Wesson 3906 or SD9. Heck a new SD9 is only $400 and it's basically a bargain-basement M&P (or upgraded Sigma).

Wow, our birthdays are pretty close, mine is the 19th. I have no clue what round I want. For some reason, I have a natural tendency to want guns in less common calibers. I really wanted a 6.5 AR, I have an 8mm mauser rifle, I'm not sure if I want a 9mm pistol, I feel like I'd prefer a 10mm.

If you really want to go with an uncommon caliber that will impress your friends and pack a wallop, you could go the .44 Magnum route. That round is uncommon enough that few people own them, but common enough that you will be able to find ammo for it.

I caught the 5.7 bug once as well but shied away once I realized that the platform didn't give me any additional capability. If you really like the 5.7 platform, you can get a Kel Tec PMR-30 for about $400. This gun shoots .22 Magnum ammo and looks a bit like the 5.7 although the ammo is much less expensive. I know it's like comparing a Mazda Miata and an Audi TT, but it is an option.

This is why I started this thread. I have no real clue. I likely won't get one for a while, but whenever I want to get something, I usually try to think about it for a very long time. I hate buyer's regret.

I tend to prefer things that have some military history attached to them. When I go shooting, I like to be shooting a piece of history.

I guess I'd like something I could use for HD, and, if I move to a free-state when I'm older, I'd like to have it to carry. And for target shooting.

I mean, not to get in the .45 vs. 9mm pissing match, but what are some good pistol calibers to look at?

This is why I started this thread. I have no real clue. I likely won't get one for a while, but whenever I want to get something, I usually try to think about it for a very long time. I hate buyer's regret.

I tend to prefer things that have some military history attached to them. When I go shooting, I like to be shooting a piece of history.

I guess I'd like something I could use for HD, and, if I move to a free-state when I'm older, I'd like to have it to carry. And for target shooting.

I mean, not to get in the .45 vs. 9mm pissing match, but what are some good pistol calibers to look at?

CONSIDER TO BUYING NAGANT REVOLVER. IS WEAPON OF DEFEND PROLETARIAT AND WILL MAKE FINGER LIKE IRON AND GIVE POWER TO STRANGLE SMALL RODENT.

CONSIDER TO BUYING NAGANT REVOLVER. IS WEAPON OF DEFEND PROLETARIAT AND WILL MAKE FINGER LIKE IRON AND GIVE POWER TO STRANGLE SMALL RODENT.

^^^This. Well I guess I just had my decision made for me. hahaha

Apparently the PMR-30 is going for as much as $1500 these days. So much for the poor man's Five-Seven, huh? Distributors are charging MSRP now.

I really regret not buying a Five-Seven back when they could be found in the $900 range, especially since I own an AR-57 upper. I bought a Masterpiece Arms Defender at a quarter of the cost of a Five Seven, just so I could get a pistol in the same caliber. I know they have nothing else in common.

On a different note, my all-around favorite weapon is my XD-45. I don't even have to try to be precise with the XD, and the ergonomics are great for me.

I also recommend the Ruger Mark II/III and 22/45. Check out this one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=327396242

Yea, you'll have 20 pistols before you're 30. I can just tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PPK. :)

I am a huge fan of the James Bond series.

Yea, you'll have 20 pistols before you're 30. I can just tell.

What's sad is, I'm not nearly as into handguns as I am rifles and shotguns. Just imagine how many other guns I want XD

This is why I started this thread. I have no real clue. I likely won't get one for a while.

Hey man,

Every 6 months you start a thread about some exotic or cool weapon you want and then end it with a resolution that either you cant afford it or you may get it someday somewhere else under different circuimstances.....:):)......i like tha you think outloud on this forum.

Since you ll be 21 soon get that permit and buy something......so my advice of choice is to Act...Act....Act.....and start saving up and get something......and whatever you get shoot the shit out of it.......reload if you have to , there s always a way to hring costs down even in this firearms insane price gouging.

Since you re a student i m sure you have mastered the art of finding cheap stuff and you know better than i that you can find a budget gun somwhere on this forum.

If you want a poor mans 5.7 get a Yugo/Romanian TT..for a couple of 100bux...it lll do most of the things that the 5.7 will.....small round but very fast.....a lot of reviews say overpenetration or whatever but i can assure you it can do damage with the speed of the round which is the same theory behind the 5.7.

......or just get a used 9 mm glock.....

By the way PM me when the Rowan shoot comes up.....i want to contribute with time...ammo....rifles.....$$....

Yeah... that is a habit of mine. I'm not really a "lucky" person.

Pretty much every time I start saving a little money, and getting ahead, I have some sort of unexpected expense come up. Plus my brother is an addict and steals money, videogames, pretty much anything he can get. (Before anyone asks, before we kicked him out recently, all my guns were in a safe place where he can't get them, though he did steal my best airsoft gun...)

I guess part of it is that talking about this stuff helps me work out the frustration of seeing all the cool stuff I can't have. XD Plus, most of the stuff I like are older surplus guns that are only going to jump up in price by the time I have more disposable income. I figure 43 mausers will be in the $800 range in a few years.

Luck has nothing to do with it.........persistance is the fuel of gun collecting.....and getting through pre-med :):):):):):)

Brother situation, not a good thing........hope he is gettign some help.

I would say get a safe but i m sure you ve budgeted for that in the future.

Luck has nothing to do with it.........persistance is the fuel of gun collecting.....and getting through pre-med :):) :):) :):)

Brother situation, not a good thing........hope he is gettign some help.

I would say get a safe but i m sure you ve budgeted for that in the future.

Got one for Christmas. God knows with him, he stole my last paycheck before not being allowed to work due to my spleen.

BTW- how is 10mm ammo? Actually, I probably shouldn't ask, because I imagine not that many guns are chambered in it. I feel as though 9mm can be hard to get in times like this.

10 mm is great......kicks, fireballs and raw power.....if you re ever up in Easton,PA you can try shooting my assortment.

Pricewise its steep, especially full power loads

Colt delta elite is chambered in 10 , so is Glock 20 and soem EAA pistols. Soon also the 1911 from Rock Island Armory.

http://www.underwoodammo.com/10mmauto.aspx

Good to hear a young person like you wants to get into sports sgooting...First, be safe, practice safty rules, learn your equipment inside out. (And don;t watch video games ;-))...This is truly a character building sport (even at my "deep" middle age), somthing the GunGrabers will never understand...Contratulations on thinking ahead!

I recomend going with quality...I understand you may not be able to afford say an all steel 1911...Check out the Springfield XD line. I have an XDs now "pocket-pistol" 3.3" barrel, and a XDM-Competition 5.3" barrel on order.-They have many XD sizes in between to fit your needs. I am extreemly impressed with this line of semi-autos. The ergenomics are (hum it chocks me up to say) better than 1911's (the "Gold" standard). And the 3.3 inch 45 cal can hit all A's on an USPSA target at 25 yards (I did this :-))...They are at a very good price point 500-700$ and Springfield gives you a lifetime warrenty...Better to spend a couple of hundred bucks more for a brand-name - a gun that will literally last your whole life....There are many viable other options out there, but the XD line is one I can speak too (most my other pistols are 1911 which may be beyond your budget at this point in your life)...

Let us know how you make out.

Might I recommend a Glock 19? My first pistol when I turned 21 a few years ago a CZ75b and I really liked it. Now my favorite is my Glock 19. Simple, rugged, 15 round mags, parts easy to change. I love it.