mcbethr

Updates from the NJ SAFE Hearing

The truth told I was concerned about being ambushed and the last thing any of us need would be for me to say the wrong thing and have it plastered all over Channel 12.

I can respect that, I wasn't trying to make you feel bad. I just figured that you're the type of person we need to represent us. A gentlemanly, level-headed guy. God knows they're dying for the "Cold Dead Hand" crowd.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in that sentiment, but it's not relatable to the average person. If we want our rights to be respected, we, the firearm community, must be respected. We reflect our viewpoints, and when we do stuff like heckle Antis, well, it really makes us, and our principles, look bad.

About 30 minutes in I started timing the speakers and I noticed they were told 1:15-1:30 mins into their time to "wrap it up". Tough to form an argument when you don't get your full time and are being interrupted.

Otherwise I thought our side made really good points. After the minister got done all the media got his contact info and news 12 pulled their only camera out of the meeting to interview him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If only it made them look bad when they did it to us. Why must WE always be the gentlemen? (rhetorical, no answer required)

Yes. You can't be a gentleman sometimes, you are either a gentleman all the time or you can not claim that title. There are other ways to make that point, politely.

I wasn't trying to make you feel bad.

Not at all, and thanks for the compliment.

Having thought about it over the last few hours I'm convinced I did the right thing. Nobody really knows what took place and by agreeing to the interview I might have drawn attention to the only real negative behavior in that meeeting.

If only it made them look bad when they did it to us. Why must WE always be the gentlemen? (rhetorical, no answer required)

Don't get me wrong, it's not fair, nor is the stereotype of a gun-owner or 2A-supporter. The fact is, when we do this stuff, our enemies use it to distract from our argument. All the data, examples of failed gun control polices, etc. all go down the toilet because one person was rude.

If we don't give them any ammo, they have no choice but to either ignore the event, or, to focus on the issues brought forth, which, if the majority of people attending were pro-2A, then it leaves them in a bit of a bind on how to spin it.

It sucks, and it's not fair we have to play nice when they don't, but I think it will work in the long run.

To put it in other terms, consider the risks vs. the benefits.

What do we have to gain from heckling? (Can anyone answer that?)

What consequences do we risk from it? (Again, the media portraying us as out-of-touch jerks)

the majority of people attending were pro-2A, then it leaves them in a bit of a bind on how to spin it.

That is true. The media must be scratching their heads over that one. Why are there so many gun-rights supporters at the meeting?

I think the real reason is that most antis are "Facebook Antis." They are passively anti, and yes, they do outnumber us. But what makes somebody a vocal anti? The death of a loved one from gun violence is one factor. Being a kook is another. From the look on her face in the Channel 12 interview, she was a kook, one of those people who are genuinely afraid of guns to the point of hysteria.

I think there will always be more pro-gun types at these meetings because we have something to lose. An anti... well he doesn't lose his personal property or heritage if he doesn't get his way.

I don't think I saw this in the forum, but from an email I received from the NRA-ILA it says that if you can't make it to any of the 3 meetings, you can email your comments to [email protected].

I've been sitting here writing more emails but cant get this address to send- anyone else having prob with it?

I heard it more as an audible groan than a heckle. She deserved it in my opinion. She had just made a comment to the effect that the NRA was arming criminals and putting guns on the street. I think it was good for the Task Force to hear that her comment offended everyone. I would hate for them to think that we weren't offended.

That is true. The media must be scratching their heads over that one. Why are there so many gun-rights supporters at the meeting?

I think the real reason is that most antis are "Facebook Antis." They are passively anti, and yes, they do outnumber us. But what makes somebody a vocal anti? The death of a loved one from gun violence is one factor. Being a kook is another. From the look on her face in the Channel 12 interview, she was a kook, one of those people who are genuinely afraid of guns to the point of hysteria.

I think there will always be more pro-gun types at these meetings because we have something to lose. An anti... well he doesn't lose his personal property or heritage if he doesn't get his way.

As I suggested over on the other thread, I think the Rev. Kevin Nunn (of the The Asbury Park Neptune Ministerial Alliance) is something of a kook, too... I'd worry about being panhandled and finding parking in Asbury Park, not about being shot by a gangster with an AK-47. It may be a crumbling old shore town that's seen better days, but it sure isn't Camden.

Realistically, and compared to all the other risks we face every day, rifles of all kinds are waaaaaaaaa down on the list.

According to FBI statistics, there were 323 murders that involved rifles in 2011. According to the CDC, an estimated 443,000 die annually from smoking and 112,000-365,000 annually from obesity. The number of deaths from motor vehicle accidents in the US exceeds 32,000.

Big Macs and the SUV she drove to the meeting should instill much more fear in the woman than someone's black ugly rifle.

I think you're into something about the intensity of most people's (not politicians) feelings about this. When Gallup asked "What do you think is the most important problem facing the country today?", all of ... 4% ...identified "guns/gun control". http://www.gallup.co...nt-problem.aspx

I don't think most "antis" intensity is nearly as high as the "pros". I'm not sure that the politicians really understood this after the first AWB.

(I consider the deprivation of our Constitutional rights a fairly important problem facing the country, personally.)

I was the guy that asked them if any of them owned or had ever fired a gun to which they refused to respond.

BTW "A former U.S. Marine and Presidential Honor Guard, Dr. Guantez brings a wealth of diverse knowledge and experience to our field."

http://www.turningpointnj.org/tp-contactus-guantez.html

BTW "A former U.S. Marine and Presidential Honor Guard, Dr. Guantez brings a wealth of diverse knowledge and experience to our field."

http://www.turningpo...us-guantez.html

Well, I hope that his having once been a Marine etc means he is a gun owner and advocate now and that he is going to represent our interests despite his refusal to answer the question. I would love to be wrong about this panel, but my expectations are pretty low.

I heard it more as an audible groan than a heckle. She deserved it in my opinion. She had just made a comment to the effect that the NRA was arming criminals and putting guns on the street. I think it was good for the Task Force to hear that her comment offended everyone. I would hate for them to think that we weren't offended.

+1 Bob. I agree and made a very similar statement in the other thread.